mercury6, will you help for getting PR card Info?

I drove AVIS rental car with New York plate. The Q & A are as follows:
Q: what is your status in the US.
A: US permanent resident
Q: Do you have the document?
A: (I showed my US green card)
Q: (She glanced at my GC for less than 1 second). What is the nature of this trip to Canada?
A: attending a meeting with customer
Q: Where do stay?
A: Sharton Hotel
Q: Do you carry any weapon .... ?
A: No.
Q: Enjoy your trip
A: Thank you!

The above trip was made in July 2002. In the trip in Sep 2002, a man officer even didn't ask me to show my GC.

Hi Inders99,

Did you visit canada yet?
If so, can you please tell us your experience in detail?

Will appreciate that. Thanks!

Hi Inders99,

When you come to Canada and want to contact me, do so my email first.

I have a dial up (with no call waiting) and am always on the internet.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Dear mercury6,
Thanks, but I dont have your Email, do you mean that from this webside I should sent you private Message? do you check daily?

I have did some research:
If I drive my US plated car then I have discovered a Motel near Naigara Falls they are charging 35 USD for day for Stay and for car parking they will aloow me to park my car US side and will charge 5$ perday for car parking while I am going to Canada crossing Rainbow Bridge and will take Bus or Shulle from Canada naigara Falls, Still I have to find BUS timing from Canada Naigara side
Or I may Park my car US side in some Parking lot ( still serching for Parking lot) and cross the Rainbow bridge and sleep in some motel in Canada side then my friend has no problem to pick me up from Canada Naigara side or I will take Bus ,train to Mississauga.

I am also serching any One way rental agency from Naigara Falls NY side , I may take Rental Car with Canadain Plates

I dont know what they ask if Landed PR is trying to cross the border with Canadian Plated car, I have no Canada DL I have to drive with my US driving licence.
Thans again for the concerns.
Regards.
Inder

Hi mercury
I am palnning to go by own US plated car to canada . I am a landed immigrant since Jan 2001. All that I have is my landed papers and sin card. Do you see any problem in crossing the border. As per the rule we can remain out for 3 years. I am going to say that the truth that I have not stayed in Canada in the last 2 years. Do you see any problem?

1.The problem is going to Canada with US plated car and PR of Canada are not supposed to Drive US plated Car to enter Canada
This the the reason I am delaying going to Toronto and serching the other options, If they would have allowed me to Drive US plated Rental car then I would have visited Canada 20 days back.
"All that I have is my landed papers and sin card. Do you see any problem in crossing the border. As per the rule we can remain out for 3 years. I am going to say that the truth that I have not stayed in Canada in the last 2 years. Do you see any problem?"

2.for the above having Landing permit and not staying out of Canada more than 3 years is OK, nobody at border/Airport is intrested in SIN, as SIN is only for work and Tax
3. you can not go to Canada in your own US plated car, you have to Export it

Car declared at the time of landing

Thank you Inder
I had declared my car when we landed. The car has been included in the customs declaration along with other household items. The customs officer had told us that I won't have to pay any customs when I move into Canada for good. I can always tell him I am preparing my move. He only told me that I will have enter via the truck route and show the papers. Now if I enter Canada via the truck route what problems will I face?

If still any confusion better ask Canada customs border posts and please post here what they say.

Fort Erie
60 Walnut Street
Fort Erie, ON L2A 5N7
Telephone:
(905) 994-6330 (Travellers)
(905) 994-6376 (Commercial)
Fax: (905) 994-6360

Niagara Falls
4551 Zimmerman Ave.
Niagara Falls, ON L2E 3M5
Telephone:
(905) 354-4843 (Travellers)
(905) 262-4642 (Commercial)
Fax: (905) 354-4956

just to keep that thread at top becase many will go for PR card and find good info by Vault and Mercury6

Any of you guys go to pick up your PR card yet. I was just curious how long it took and if they asked any questions.

RajanJohn,

Did you go for you PR card already? If so how was your experience in picking up your card and border crossing?

Thanks,
Furat