• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Medical Insurance

"Obamacare" and "get a job" aren't really all that helpful.

lillshai, I went with Seven Corners insurance for new immigrants while I waited for my job insurance to start. It was very affordable ($120 for about two months I think). I didn't need to make a claim but I believe there are some other forum members from Australia who've used it and have been happy.

lillshai, I went with Seven Corners insurance for new immigrants while I waited for my job insurance to start. It was very affordable ($120 for about two months I think). I didn't need to make a claim but I believe there are some other forum members from Australia who've used it and have been happy.

Great tip, thanks. This looks like a WAY more affordable and possibly better basic health insurance cover than anything to do with O-care (which does not give you any tax credits if you don't actually earn a minimum right from start, and which can cost a few hundred $$ per month each and STILL incur a $5k p.a. deductible!!!).
This new immigrant insurance is perhaps also the best for anyone not actually pursuing a job rather than taking it slow and getting some kind of self employment going. From my quick glance it seems you can sign up for a year and renew up to a total of 5 years.
I just wonder if this qualifies as having actual health insurance under the new O-care rules, or whether they require you to sign up for one of their inflated insurance in the 'marketplace' (healthcare dot gov)?

The new immigrant insurance would not qualify (as it is a different type of insurance) so you would not meet the obligation to have health insurance.

Understand that the new immigrant insurance is almost like a travel insurance thing - it might provide a safety net for a disaster but it does not cover normal health events like GP visits and so on.

The ACA (Obamacare) is not priced too badly for what it offers and if something is dramatically less than that it is probably dramatically different.

Understand that the new immigrant insurance is almost like a travel insurance thing - it might provide a safety net for a disaster but it does not cover normal health events like GP visits and so on.

I probably could have been a bit more clear - I did use the new immigrant insurance as a stop-gap until my work insurance coverage began in February.

The new immigrant insurance would not qualify (as it is a different type of insurance) so you would not meet the obligation to have health insurance.

The ACA (Obamacare) is not priced too badly for what it offers and if something is dramatically less than that it is probably dramatically different.

Oh, so it would not meet the obligation to have health insurance ... I feared that might be the case, after all.
Actually, I read through their info on what it covers (page 2) and it seems to cover normal GP visits (up to 10...not sure if they mean p.a.).

How much are you paying in monthly premiums and what's your annual deductible, have you signed up under healthcare.gov yet?
The last thing I read of you was that you had moved into a new rental home in an expensive area in SF east bay, is that Berkeley?
I once did a search to get an idea and the results I had on my screen seemed 'interesting'...mostly really old dwellings in the $3k+ range per month.

We are looking at visiting southern California (and Vegas ;) on a trip next month actually. It will be a mix of vacation and soul searching. Regarding California, it's amazing the amount of comments I see from actual US peeps, i.e. that they would be moving there if the cost of living and taxes were not so unfavorable (to a state like FL for instance, I guess).

Are you planning on staying in California? I had actually thought that you were going to live and work in FL in your brother's business.

I probably could have been a bit more clear - I did use the new immigrant insurance as a stop-gap until my work insurance coverage began in February.

Your post was clear to me, Simon kindly replied to my comment ;)

Hey OTG.

The policy benefits for that plan are woefully short of the real costs. A simple broken leg in the USA would cost well over $25k, and if you have to stay in hospital for a few days - forget seeing any change out of $100k. Insane I know - but true. In reality, if you have money you need proper coverage. You need proper healthcare, proper auto and, if you have money, I would advise umbrella coverage also. If you get in an accident, or someone slips in your front yard, the first thing the lawyers do is run credit/background checks on you!

ACA costs are all available on the https://www.healthcare.gov website. You can price plans and see the options there - you should check it out.

About costs in CA, it varies enormously. The Bay area is expensive. I am renting in Livermore - I found a nice 3 bed house for $3k per month. Near SF (like Berkeley) prices are higher so $3k doesn't go so far.

I ended up in California because my wife prefers it here - it is more "real" than Florida and where I am the weather is great, the geography is wonderful (hills and valleys, not just flat Marsh land) and whilst the cost of living is high, salaries are higher also. So for now at least we are here - and loving it. I am working through my brothers company, but I could choose to base myself anywhere - and in the SF Bay area I have a lot of work opportunities for contract work.

ACA costs are all available on the https://www.healthcare.gov website. You can price plans and see the options there - you should check it out.

Yep, I already did a number of searches before to see what comes up, for California it's a different site altogether.

About costs in CA, it varies enormously. The Bay area is expensive. I am renting in Livermore - I found a nice 3 bed house for $3k per month. Near SF (like Berkeley) prices are higher so $3k doesn't go so far.

Ah, cool..I was curious and did a drive by in the Google car...nice and hilly...but really quite far from the actual bay, like 35 miles and then further if you need to get across the bay. I am surprised that renting can still be that pricey in the hills east of the east bay burbs, but then again...it's San Francisco!

I ended up in California because my wife prefers it here - it is more "real" than Florida and where I am the weather is great, the geography is wonderful (hills and valleys, not just flat Marsh land) and whilst the cost of living is high, salaries are higher also. So for now at least we are here - and loving it. I am working through my brothers company, but I could choose to base myself anywhere - and in the SF Bay area I have a lot of work opportunities for contract work.

Sounds awesome! And yes, I know exactly what your wife means by more "real"...as Florida can appear a bit artificial and yes, being flat doesn't help break some element of monotony. We visited FL at the end of 2012 (first time back in 18 years!) and actually loved it. Towards the end (it was early Dec, so officially 'winter') it was actually getting quite hot and a bit sticky! Gave us a tiny taste of what summer must be like. Combine California and Florida...what do you get in terms of climate and topography? ---> Puerto Rico!
At least from how I remember PR from two trips back a long time ago. :D

Thanks Crawf33 - super helpful advice as usual :) Finding your blog really helpful too!

I m staying in London since 5 years but as I was selected in dv lottery, we r planning to move to usa.
but I m in dilemma due to my wife's health.she has a bit problem with her liver n she has to do follow up checks every 3-6 months to be assured if everything is alright.since in London we have free health service we don't have to worry abt anything but as I read n came to knw that health careIis very expensive in usa...do u frens think it will be a gud idea to move usa from London?
Plj suggest me

Hope you are all doing great!!

I have a friend of mine who has finished the DV process and collected her visa recently. She is currently 6 months pregnant and planning to travel before her due date. She is really worried about the medical coverage including the delivery cost, etc. Does any one know about the scheme and insuranc policy? Appreciate your feedback on this. Those already in the state, if you know anyone who had gone through the same exprience would be very helpful.

I have a friend of mine who has finished the DV process and collected her visa recently. She is currently 6 months pregnant and planning to travel before her due date. She is really worried about the medical coverage including the delivery cost, etc. Does any one know about the scheme and insuranc policy? Appreciate your feedback on this. Those already in the state, if you know anyone who had gone through the same exprience would be very helpful.

She could sign up for one of the immigrant insurance policies, but I would not recommend that.

If she signs up for ACA (Obamacare) she will be covered within two to 6 weeks (basically if she signs up before the 15th of a month and and pays she will be covered from the first day of the month following. Given that she is certain to have a large medical expense, she should probably elect one of the most epensive plans, and the cost might be subsidised if her income is low enough. If she isn't able to get the subsidy she may have a high monthly cost for the plan. However, the subsidy may depend on her producing a SSN - so she will have to get on that straight away.

In addition there are options for people without insurance (possibly affected by the introduction of ACA), but if she wants to choose doctors and medical facility and get good quality of care then getting insurance is the way to go.

IF she doesn't have time to arrange that before the birth then she might want to delay her arrival until after the birth. It depends on her personal circumstances and whether she has cash reserves/assets. If she gets a big medical bill, and they believe she has money then they will come after her to pay the bill.

Very bad timing, but what she can do.
Please note that if the belly is BIG, she may be denied boarding the plane unless she has an official doctor letter stating it's safe to fly and still it's not 100% guaranteed... There is always a risk with pregnant women....... There are reports in forums (google it please) that some to-be mothers were denied boarding if pregnancy was longer than 7-7.5 months. I would recommend flying to USA and activate greencard, then return and give birth in your home country where it's probably completely free and probably will be less stress-full. You can google for the cost of giving a birth in US - ranges vary, but I remember it was from 2.5k up to 80k (yeah!!!)....

Then, she can return with newborn (when it's safe to fly, but less than 1 year, otherwise she is in trouble again with the green card requirements!!!!!) without applying for any VISA for the newborn, but with birth certificate (please google it.. there was a thread how to do it correctly).

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, May be some of you can help me out.
My mother 65+ old just got here in FL in Green Card.
What kind of health coverage insurance we should look for? Any link you can share? or your thoughts?
Visitors insurance does not cover pre existing condition, other coverages is low too.

Any helpful site forum thread?

Thanks,

Please note that if the belly is BIG, she may be denied boarding the plane unless she has an official doctor letter stating it's safe to fly and still it's not 100% guaranteed... There is always a risk with pregnant women....... There are reports in forums (google it please) that some to-be mothers were denied boarding if pregnancy was longer than 7-7.5 months. I would recommend flying to USA and activate greencard, then return and give birth in your home country where it's probably completely free and probably will be less stress-full. You can google for the cost of giving a birth in US - ranges vary, but I remember it was from 2.5k up to 80k (yeah!!!)....

Then, she can return with newborn (when it's safe to fly, but less than 1 year, otherwise she is in trouble again with the green card requirements!!!!!) without applying for any VISA for the newborn, but with birth certificate (please google it.. there was a thread how to do it correctly).

Guys, May be some of you can help me out.
My mother 65+ old just got here in FL in Green Card.
What kind of health coverage insurance we should look for? Any link you can share? or your thoughts?
Visitors insurance does not cover pre existing condition, other coverages is low too.

Any helpful site forum thread?

Thanks,

She cannot qualify for Medicare but she should look at plans like this - http://www.insubuy.com/inbound-immigrant-insurance/

She could sign up for one of the immigrant insurance policies, but I would not recommend that.

If she signs up for ACA (Obamacare) she will be covered within two to 6 weeks (basically if she signs up before the 15th of a month and and pays she will be covered from the first day of the month following. Given that she is certain to have a large medical expense, she should probably elect one of the most epensive plans, and the cost might be subsidised if her income is low enough. If she isn't able to get the subsidy she may have a high monthly cost for the plan. However, the subsidy may depend on her producing a SSN - so she will have to get on that straight away.

In addition there are options for people without insurance (possibly affected by the introduction of ACA), but if she wants to choose doctors and medical facility and get good quality of care then getting insurance is the way to go.

IF she doesn't have time to arrange that before the birth then she might want to delay her arrival until after the birth. It depends on her personal circumstances and whether she has cash reserves/assets. If she gets a big medical bill, and they believe she has money then they will come after her to pay the bill.

I did answer this in other thread.
There are some states (Florida is one) where for pregnancy/birth they waive the usual 5-year wait for Medicare benefits (or whatever the state level one is). I know someone who gave birth in Florida after being in the US a few months and basically, they didn't pay a cent. (This was before obamacare though not sure if it will have changed, though I wouldn't expect so.) So the answer depends on what state you are heading for.

But as said above, yes it can end up being thousands of dollars too depending on state, and then having the baby at home and entering afterwards may be the most reasonable thing to do.

I did answer this in other thread.
There are some states (Florida is one) where for pregnancy/birth they waive the usual 5-year wait for Medicare benefits (or whatever the state level one is). I know someone who gave birth in Florida after being in the US a few months and basically, they didn't pay a cent. (This was before obamacare though not sure if it will have changed, though I wouldn't expect so.) So the answer depends on what state you are heading for.

But as said above, yes it can end up being thousands of dollars too depending on state, and then having the baby at home and entering afterwards may be the most reasonable thin

g to do.

Thanks a lot britsimon, Joshua tree and SusieQQQ, much appreciated.

I will pass z messages to her.