1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The forums have been moved to a new software. All data till march 30 has been moved over. You can start using them. You should be able to login with the same user IDs and passwords as on the old forums. The old forums will be available as ''read only" under forumarchive.immigration.com.
  3. Rajiv hosts a free community conference call every other Thursday at 12:30 p.m, EST. You can post your questions in the conference call forum and dial into the call at (202)800-8394. Next call is on June 19, 2014.

maximum days outside USA

Discussion in 'Political Asylum in USA' started by oldtown77, May 24, 2008.

1. oldtown77

oldtown77 Registered Users (C)

I am a Green Card holder. I was wondering what is the maximum number of days I can stay outside the USA after I get my green card to obtain citizenship after five years.

Thanks
  2. Minsk

Minsk Registered Users (C)

I could be wrong but I heard that you need to stay in US 6 months + 1 day to get the full year counted towards citizenship. So maximum you can stay outside US 6 months - 1 day.
  3. cafeconleche

cafeconleche Registered Users (C)

I've never heard this 6 month 1 day rule. Where can I find it?
  4. thankful

thankful Registered Users (C)

It is part of the Immigration Act.
  5. shefe

shefe Registered Users (C)

I wish someone can give a samples/scenarios. For instance , right after you have your GC out of the 5 years before applying for citizenship, you are allowed to travel out of the country less than 6 months each year?
  6. cafeconleche

Thankful, could you please give us more information of this specific law? I can't seem to find it.
  7. thankful

thankful Registered Users (C)

There are basically three requirements each of which must be met.

* First, you have to count the number of days in the five years before you file your N-400. Add up the number of days. You must have lived in the United States for at least half of the total number of days.

* Second, no single trip abroad during the five year period can be greater than one year. Having a reentry permit does not solve this problem. If you are outside the U.S. for more than one year then once you come back you start from square one (you can try to get an exception by filing a N-470 petition with the USCIS)

* lastly a trip greater than 6 months will be deemed to break the residence period unless you can present evidence to rebut it.
  8. cafeconleche

Oh, I thought it was some other rule. Nevermid :) Thanks, though...