Materials with I-129 TN extension

dolceTN

Registered Users (C)
I am extending my TN-1 by mail for the first time; normally I have re-applied at the border. My question is: how much material do I need to add to the I-129 and the letter? I have a Ph.D. in Psychology (with no mention of psychology on the diploma) with a current license as a Psychologist. One time that I applied at the border, a set of officals had suggested I bring my transcript the next time to clarify that I actually graduated in Psychology. In reality, you cannot obtain a Psychology license without at least a Masters degree. Will it be obvious to USCIS that with a psychology license, and a Ph.D. diploma that I am a bona fide psychologist, or is it imperative to send a transcript of my studies which reflect different programs in Psychology (Clinical and School)-looking different, but actually very closely related to my psychology work in a hospital? Also, need I include a resume? After reading all of these posts, I want to make sure that my package is complete, as I won't be explaining any of my materials in person. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Send copies of all your info (license, diploma, transcripts, resume, etc). Also include a short letter detailing the documents you have enclosed and the significance of each as it pertains to your application. That way there will be little chance for misunderstanding.

I believe the documents required are:
I-129 Form
I-129 Trade Agreement Supplement Form
TN Letter from Employer
Copy of I-94 front and back
Copy of transcripts
Copy of diploma
Copy of Passport
Copy of resume
Check for $325

Materials

Send copies of all your info (license, diploma, transcripts, resume, etc). Also include a short letter detailing the documents you have enclosed and the significance of each as it pertains to your application. That way there will be little chance for misunderstanding.

I believe the documents required are:
I-129 Form
I-129 Trade Agreement Supplement Form
TN Letter from Employer
Copy of I-94 front and back
Copy of transcripts
Copy of diploma
Copy of Passport
Copy of resume
Check for $325

Thanks so much, Gunt. To clarify-1) By a short letter, do you mean writing what my degree programs entail and why they are pertinent to my job? 2) Is my Ph.D. diploma good enough, or do I have to send a copy of the Masters degree (unfortunately, that is back in Canada). 3) Does each copy have to be notarized? 4-What is the supplemental page for? 5-If my hours are f/t compared to the p/t job which I was first hired, does that call for an amendment, if the job is still the same? 6-Do I need to include last 2 pay stubs?

Thanks so much, Gunt. To clarify-1) By a short letter, do you mean writing what my degree programs entail and why they are pertinent to my job? 2) Is my Ph.D. diploma good enough, or do I have to send a copy of the Masters degree (unfortunately, that is back in Canada). 3) Does each copy have to be notarized? 4-What is the supplemental page for? 5-If my hours are f/t compared to the p/t job which I was first hired, does that call for an amendment, if the job is still the same? 6-Do I need to include last 2 pay stubs?
1) yes
2) Phd should be fine
3) not required
4) it is part of the I-129 form. read the form completely through and you will see it.
5) nothing to worry about. don't mention it
6) no, not important.

Got it! I was referencing the Explanation page in error. Just a few more...thanks so much for bearing with me (I am getting nervous about doing the right thing!). 1) I wanted to check that THIS I-129 (not the first TN) is the first petition, correct? 2) For "Requested status", would #c (extend the stay of the beneficiary since he/they hold this status) AND #e be checked off, or just #e (extend the status of the beneficiary based on the TN). 3) I noticed that the last border officer at Dulles never wrote down the name of my company on the I-94. It is now blank, which I only realized after I left the airport. The company name is listed with the expiration date on my passport. Should I copy the form and all of my passport pages which have the name on it? THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Got it! I was referencing the Explanation page in error. Just a few more...thanks so much for bearing with me (I am getting nervous about doing the right thing!). 1) I wanted to check that THIS I-129 (not the first TN) is the first petition, correct? 2) For "Requested status", would #c (extend the stay of the beneficiary since he/they hold this status) AND #e be checked off, or just #e (extend the status of the beneficiary based on the TN). 3) I noticed that the last border officer at Dulles never wrote down the name of my company on the I-94. It is now blank, which I only realized after I left the airport. The company name is listed with the expiration date on my passport. Should I copy the form and all of my passport pages which have the name on it? THANK YOU SO MUCH!

When i did my first mail-in renewal, i assumed that the I-129 was the FIRST petition. However, some others on this forum say it is the second petition. The reason for the disagreement is because the form is designed for H1B and not TN applicants so there are some questions which don't really fit the situation. If you are thinking about SECTION 4 Question 7, then the answer is "NO" as the prior TN (and this one) is a NON-IMMIGRANT petition while the question asks about IMMIGRANT petition. Though on Question #9 it is your choice to select "NO" or you can select "YES" and write a small explanation in SECTION 9 stating that a TN was petitioned for you and approved on XX Date at YY Point of Entry. The explanation should be something like the following:

As indicated on the enclosed I-129 petition, Harvard University has previously applied for non-immigrant visa TN-1 status for Jane Smith. The prior petition was in 2005 and was approved by USCIS. The receipt number for the prior petition was LIN-05-222-55555. Since you don't have a petition receipt ##, instead state that the status was granted at XX Point of Entry with I-94 ## YYY.
As stated, when I did my first mail-in renewal, i selected "NO" for Question #9 of Section 4.

SECTION 2, Question #2 select "b", Question #3 select "N/A", Question #4 select "e".

It is not important about the company name in your passport or lack of name on your I-94. Don't worry about it. But it doesn't hurt to sent a copy of the page in your passport with the company name.

Gunt, thanks so much-this is so helpful.

Just a few more questions and I think I am done! Phew!

1) Part 4, a: Why does it state that no petition is required for a TN visa (though this is not considered a visa)?
2) If this is indeed a petition (and I assume it must, from the forum) and as you say, you can mark the first TN as a petition, then why would Part 2, #3 (most recent petition/application receipt number) be marked N/A?
3) I don't have my original TN I-94 number, as I didn't make a copy of it (lesson learned!) before it was passed onto the border officials many a trip ago. So..if I needed to use it as proof of my original petition as you suggested, perhaps I would just mark "no" for Part 4, #9 (previously filed petition)?
4) Individual Tax Number is only for people without a SSN, correct?
5) N/A for LCA/ETA Case Number, correct?

Thanks so much for your patience and detailed responses, Gunt. I so appreciate your input!

A border TN is not a petition from CIS point of view.
In this context only an I-129 is. If no previous I-129 has been filed, then any refereence to petition is N/A.
Your CURRENT I-94 is still in your possesion and that is the only I-94 that matters in the I-129 context.

Thanks, Nelsona. As for the other questions, #4 (Individual Tax Number) and #5 (LCA/ETA case number)-do I put N/A as well?

Remember that the I-129 is being filed by your employer/sponsor, not you. So the info about SSN, tax number, employer number is their info, not yours.
Only one of the boxes J,K,L should be filled. Your sponsor will know which one they use to identify themselves with the IRS.

LCA is for H1.

I am submitting a I-129 form to request change of employment status under a TN1 visa. Do I need to submit a w-2 and last two pay stubs, because I am a sub-contractor, so I don't receive pay stubs and I received a 1099 in lieu of a w-2.