Marrying Green Card Holder

Marriage wait

Hi Chalam,

I can imagine how hard it is to live a life is without a wife. I guess the only solution for you is to marry someone(he/she) over here.

I am in a worse situation

I got married in Jan of this year. My GC got approved in Apr of this year. My attorney sat on her papers and they did not apply it soon. (Even though i sent her papers immediately). Then my lawyer asked me to send her back to India to do a follow-to-join. So i sent her back. Till date, nothing really happened. I would appreciate if you can email me and share some information. (We go through a very tough time because of this family seperation. I would be very thankful if somebody share how they did it. I lost all hope with my lawyer. He has no clue and i cannot change my lawyer because of my employer).
My email id: gcnow@hotmail.com

Its a 4 year wait

After marriage, once you apply for her GC, you would be seeing something around a 4-year wait before your wife can join you. She will not be allowed to enter the USA on a Visitor-visa as an IV would be pending.
The only way out of this would be if she is eligible to come over on an H1, then you can \'marry\' her (again, maybe) in the US and apply for her GC when she is in the US. Since you got your GC only recently, US citizenship is too far away to rescue you.
Sorry to bear bad news.

Not much problems

He should apply for a GC for you, but you can remain in the US on your H1B till the H1B is valid. The timeframe for your GC to come thru would be the same as if you were waiting in your home-country. IF you are indian, it is around 4 years. So you can keep extending your H1B for 4 years and you might not even notice the wait.
Only issue : please ask your lawyer whether it would be advisable for you to leave the country in the meantime.

No Title

I guess, if you marry a GC, you will have to maintain your own legal status since GC doesn\'t have any dependant VISA on it.
Also, could somebody on the board answer the following question for me:
I am on a Green card here and my fiance is on F1. We plan to go to India in June and get married and later apply for his GC under the family based category. However, would it be , in any way, beneficial for my fiance\'s GC process if we get married in US instead of in India?

How can I get work permit.

I am in USA for last 3 years on valid H1B visa and got married to GC holder girl in USA. My H1B visa is going to expire in Oct,2002. Now please suggest me how can I get my work permit ASAP thru her.
I will appreciate your valuable suggestions.

Need Advice Quickly

My question to you is ? My future wife is detained in Los Angeles County Jail , the charge was Possesion of controlled substance,( empty baggys). That was dropped cause baggys were brand new , and no kind of residue to prosecute. But now it\'s a I.N.S hold they have on her. We were going to get legal papers for past divorce and future marriage so that we could get married . She is also carring our baby .What do I have to do to get this taking care of ? Also can they deport her ? My E- Mail is mikeychu2002@aol.com If anyone has any advice. Thank You

Marriage

I have applied for I485 and will be maintaining my H1B status to get married in May 2002. I have not received the finger printing notice yet. I am worried that my 485 will be approved. Can anybody shed light on this matter. Thanks for your help in Advance

She could have filed a I-485 right here in the US because she is already here and the marriage is pr

slightly risky

please consult an attorney. F-1 is a visa with non-immigration intent. if you apply for a i-130 for her and she tries to extend her f-1 later, she might have problems.

No Title

Hi Zeta,
I guess I can echo your statement. I am a Green Card holder and my fiance is on a F1 student visa valid thru 2004. We plan on getting married in India later this year and return to the US on our existing visae. I then plan on applying for her PR after our return.
a) Can she return on her student visa as is?
b) If she does, will it create problems when I apply for PR as she did not declare that the wedding before returning?
Thanks for your input.
-Ram

No Title

Ram
In my opinion, F1 is strictly a non-immigartion visa and the person entering US with the intent to migrate, while on F1, is unlawful. F1 visa allows you to study in US not stay. Note that \'study\' lies somewhere in gray areas between \'stay\' and \'visit\'. Being married to a US PR overtly states and confirms that one\'s intent is to stay in US and while being on F1 visa, you cannot do it.

I would suggest that you consult an attorney ..

F1 entering after marriage to LPR

Hi Rramak & Zeta,

I am exactly in the same position as u guys were last year. Did u guys sort the matter out with an attorney? Any inputs would be more than helpful...Thank you.