Marrying citizen of Syria

Waylor

Hello,

I have received my green card from the DV lottery and am wondering what is the process if I want to marry a citizen of Syria and they are not in the U.S. Thanks.

Hello,

I have received my green card from the DV lottery and am wondering what is the process if I want to marry a citizen of Syria and they are not in the U.S. Thanks.

Hi @Waylor

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your selection in the DV Lottery. Please see below info obtained from the uscis website and here is the link https://www.uscis.gov/family/family...pouses-live-united-states-permanent-residents

Green card holder (Permanent resident)

Outside the United States

File Form I-130. When Form I-130 is approved and a visa is available, it will be sent for consular processing and the consulate or embassy will provide notification and processing information. See form instructions for more information.

Hope this info helps and best of luck.

Hi @Waylor

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your selection in the DV Lottery. Please see below info obtained from the uscis website and here is the link https://www.uscis.gov/family/family...pouses-live-united-states-permanent-residents

Green card holder (Permanent resident)

Outside the United States

File Form I-130. When Form I-130 is approved and a visa is available, it will be sent for consular processing and the consulate or embassy will provide notification and processing information. See form instructions for more information.

Hope this info helps and best of luck.

Thanks for the info. Does this also apply to citizens of Syria? Or is the process different because of everything that's going on.

Thanks for the info. Does this also apply to citizens of Syria? Or is the process different because of everything that's going on.

The process is the same for every country. The background checks could cause some delays because of the current civil war, but in general the process is the same for every country.

i think you might want to hold off the thought just yet - Trump issued a new travel bank last week, and i am not sure if spouses of LPR from the affected countries in the ban list are exempted.

i think you might want to hold off the thought just yet - Trump issued a new travel bank last week, and i am not sure if spouses of LPR from the affected countries in the ban list are exempted.

Hi @abumiqdad

You are correct and a new travel ban and I'm not sure of well if this will affect spouse of LPR, since they are some exceptions. @Waylor you might want to consult with a lawyer for further advise, since you are not married yet to the Syrian citizen.