• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Marriage Question (Winner)

Starchest

Hello guys,

New here, nice to find this Forum.

I'm in a bit of a crossroad. I have been with my girlfriend for more than 4 years, we bought an apartment last year, and were planning to get engaged late this year and married next year.

The thing is, I won de DV lottery, as a single person yesterday. I really don't know what to do. I understand if I go through as a single person, it could take up to five years to claim her, which is a lot since we were already starting our lives together.

But I'm very, very afraid to jeopardize my opportunity of a green card. I went to college in the U.S. and my dream was to one day return and live there again. Do you think my chances are lower if we get married?

My case number is in the low 3000. Was planning on filling my form today.

Thanks!

Hello guys,

New here, nice to find this Forum.

I'm in a bit of a crossroad. I have been with my girlfriend for more than 4 years, we bought an apartment last year, and were planning to get engaged late this year and married next year.

The thing is, I won de DV lottery, as a single person yesterday. I really don't know what to do. I understand if I go through as a single person, it could take up to five years to claim her, which is a lot since we were already starting our lives together.

But I'm very, very afraid to jeopardize my opportunity of a green card. I went to college in the U.S. and my dream was to one day return and live there again. Do you think my chances are lower if we get married?

My case number is in the low 3000. Was planning on filling my form today.

Thanks!

Don't submit your DS260 yet. Wait and make a sensible plan.

Read this

http://britsimonsays.com/marital-status-getting-married-dv-lottery-process/

Don't submit your DS260 yet. Wait and make a sensible plan.

Read this

I actually had already read that, thanks!

Any ideas for a sensible plan? I of course need to discuss it with her, but can this lower my/our chances of getting the green card?

I actually had already read that, thanks!

Any ideas for a sensible plan? I of course need to discuss it with her, but can this lower my/our chances of getting the green card?

As long as you can show it's a genuine relationship, which sounds pretty easy from what you've said above, it should be totally smooth sailing. It won't jeopardize it.

I think you should do a court marriage, then fill in the DS as a married person with one for her, then go ahead and do the big Wedding celebration after (or just bring everything forward). It makes no sense for you to apply as single and bring her later.

As long as you can show it's a genuine relationship, which sounds pretty easy from what you've said above, it should be totally smooth sailing. It won't jeopardize it.

I think you should do a court marriage, then fill in the DS as a married person with one for her, then go ahead and do the big Wedding celebration after (or just bring everything forward). It makes no sense for you to apply as single and bring her later.

Thank you so much to both of you for your answers. Of course I have to discuss it with her first, since her wedding was the most important day of her life for her, hehe.

Even if there is risk I feel I would take the it, as I do want to spend my life with this woman. I was already planning to do it. But hearing that it won't affect the process at all makes me feel a bit better. Losing this opportunity for me would be devastating for me as I'm confident I can get the GC without issues if I do apply as a single person.

Thanks again, and I'm open to any other advice.

Thank you so much to both of you for your answers. Of course I have to discuss it with her first, since her wedding was the most important day of her life for her, hehe.

Even if there is risk I feel I would take the it, as I do want to spend my life with this woman. I was already planning to do it. But hearing that it won't affect the process at all makes me feel a bit better. Losing this opportunity for me would be devastating for me as I'm confident I can get the GC without issues if I do apply as a single person.

Thanks again, and I'm open to any other advice.

Sensible plan - In this order.
Get married.
Submit DS260 as married.
Interview together.
Live happily ever after.

Sensible plan - In this order.
Get married.
Submit DS260 as married.
Interview together.
Live happily ever after.

Thanks Britsimon. I talked it over with my family but they strongly advised me against it, as it is an additional risk to my process. I know where they are coming from. But I'm very confused.

Not getting married right away is a longer route. But more secure. In 5 years it wont matter what I decided. While getting married now can be frowned upon by my interviewer maybe? That's what got me thinking.

Thanks Britsimon. I talked it over with my family but they strongly advised me against it, as it is an additional risk to my process. I know where they are coming from. But I'm very confused.

Not getting married right away is a longer route. But more secure. In 5 years it wont matter what I decided. While getting married now can be frowned upon by my interviewer maybe? That's what got me thinking.

Like Susie told you. A real relationship won't cause concern.

And your family's experience/knowledge that leads them to give you that advice is...what exactly?

We have PLENTY of stories on this forum of people who successfully married someone after selection and both got visas. PLENTY. If you'd known your girlfriend for 2 weeks or 2 months, yes I'd say it was a risk. But you guys already bought an apartment together!

Anyway, you have two options. You have equal chance of being approved for your visa at either one.
Option 1: marry your girlfriend, collect proof of your relationship, go to interview, both get visas.
Option 2: apply as single, get your visa. Marry your girlfriend after, go to the US on your own, apply to bring her over, still have to provide the same proof that is a real relationship and not a green card marriage, have to show you are earning enough to support her, pay fees that are a multiple of the DV fees, and wait a few years.

Edit: In fact as I think about it, option 2 could look suspicious to an interviewer, because they will probably wonder why you didn't in fact add her to your DV case if you had already been in a long relationship with her.

And your family's experience/knowledge that leads them to give you that advice is...what exactly?

We have PLENTY of stories on this forum of people who successfully married someone after selection and both got visas. PLENTY. If you'd known your girlfriend for 2 weeks or 2 months, yes I'd say it was a risk. But you guys already bought an apartment together!

Anyway, you have two options. You have equal chance of being approved for your visa at either one.
Option 1: marry your girlfriend, collect proof of your relationship, go to interview, both get visas.
Option 2: apply as single, get your visa. Marry your girlfriend after, go to the US on your own, apply to bring her over, still have to provide the same proof that is a real relationship and not a green card marriage, have to show you are earning enough to support her, pay fees that are a multiple of the DV fees, and wait a few years.

Edit: In fact as I think about it, option 2 could look suspicious to an interviewer, because they will probably wonder why you didn't in fact add her to your DV case if you had already been in a long relationship with her.

Exactly - option 2 is actually worse in terms of suspicion. It will also cost more money, take two years and force them into a long distance relationship. Great advice family. Sheesh.

Maybe they are actually very clued up but hate the girlfriend? :rolleyes:

Dude, get married. Get an interview for a fresh marriage and get a visa. I know a lot of stories when people met only 2 months and they were given visas.
Personally, I would not give them. But in the embassy they consider this to be normal.
Long breakups are a risk to lose.