Marriage in Vegas and green card

tino227

Registered Users (C)
I am planning of marrying my long time girlfriend (who is a citizen) soon. I am currently under an H1-B work visa. If we were to get married in Las Vegas, where I believe you dont require a marriage license, would that have any effect on me getting my green card and work permit? (after I apply for it). Do I need to show a marriage license when applying for the work permit and subsequent green card?
Thank you.

JoeF's right. You DO need a marriage license, it's just very fast and easy to obtain. And like he says, the USCIS won't ask for your marriage license, but your marriage certificate.

JoeF said:
You need a marriage license in Las Vegas. Didn't you follow the Britney Spears soap opera? She married for a short time in Vegas, and had to get a marriage license.
And of course you need an official document, the marriage certificate, for a GC based on marriages to a USC.

Karlshammar said:
JoeF's right. You DO need a marriage license, it's just very fast and easy to obtain. And like he says, the USCIS won't ask for your marriage license, but your marriage certificate.

what's the difference between marriage license and marriage certificate?
Thank you much in advance for your answer,i do appreciate it!

Before you get married, you and your prospective spouse have to apply for a marriage license. After you get married, you will be issued a marriage certificate.

So a marriage license is a proof of permission and authorization to marry. A marriage certificate is proof that you actually became and are married.

tjeff said:
what's the difference between marriage license and marriage certificate?
Thank you much in advance for your answer,i do appreciate it!