• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Mantaining Permanent Residence

Carolina6587

Hello,

Are there any members that still live abroad for the greater part of the year but return to the US to maintain their residence? Is this possible or do you have to move to the US immediately and live their for a specified amount of time in order to avoid losing your residency? I understand from the USCIS website that residency will be assumed to have been abandoned if one leaves for more than 1 year but "whether your status has been abandoned, any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year." Does anyone have any experience on this matter?

I did a search but couldn't find anything, so I hope someone can just direct me to the appropriate thread if this has already been discussed.

Thanks

It's been discussed many timles already, but you were probably not looking at the right place.
Here, you are at the DV section : people trying to get the GC through the lottery.
But 5days ago, someone had a question related to this, and I replied: http://immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=246215

Please go to the section : "Life after the GC and US citizenship" for relevant information. You'll see that this is a very common question.