• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Lottery Application - Can you reuse a photo from a previous application

kutesweetkitty

I note that the lottery application asks for a photo from the last 6 months.
Can I re-use a photo from the a previous application?

I am guessing no, but I thought I would double check.

It's hard to take a photo that matches the requirements in my house because shadows always appear, so I have to get it done a photographer which isn't expensive, but I'd like to avoid the cost if possible.

I note that the lottery application asks for a photo from the last 6 months.
Can I re-use a photo from the a previous application?

I am guessing no, but I thought I would double check.

It's hard to take a photo that matches the requirements in my house because shadows always appear, so I have to get it done a photographer which isn't expensive, but I'd like to avoid the cost if possible.

You must make sure you read all the rules before you fill in the application. It’s sad when we - every year - see a parade of people who got selected but get disqualified because they didn’t read the rules before filling in the form. It’s best not to “guess”...

https://travel.state.gov/content/da...Translations/DV-2019-Instructions-English.pdf
Read rule 7. It explicitly says you’ll be disqualified for reusing an old photo.

By the way if you get selected the cost of the photo will have been a marginal issue, and not worth getting disqualified. But usually a flash solves shadow problems, have you tried that?

To remove shadows from a wall behind the subject:
1. Have the person stand further away from the wall.
2. Point a lamp at the wall where the shadow appears (i.e. the lamp should be BEHIND the person).
3. The wal behind the person should be a plain light color. If using the lamp from point 2, it will appear white.
4.. Natural light is best, but if not, use a flash to get a well lit subject.

Thanks for all the good advice. I think I will probably just get the professional to take a photo. It comes out perfect and is only a little cost. I have tried using a flash in the past, but it always comes out a bit rough looking.

Also double check, if I include a spouse on my application, they can still submit separately (and include me on their application)?

It says that in the rules, but I thought I would double check as it seems too good to be true (as you are effectively getting extra chances).

Also double check, if I include a spouse on my application, they can still submit separately (and include me on their application)?

It says that in the rules, but I thought I would double check as it seems too good to be true (as you are effectively getting extra chances).

Married couples can each submit their own application, listing the spouse as a derivative.

You should always follow the rules ...we’re pretty good here but sometimes double checking on the internet leads to dodgy advice.

Yes you can do it, and yes it’s effectively an extra chance for those with spouses.

i have a funny experience, i have been trying to crop my photo using the photo tool on a mac pro laptop, reading the instructions it says i must position the image between the 2 guidelines, when i do that i get a message to reposition my image,when i zoom such that the image is sligtly beyoond the two guide lines,the photos get cropped succesfully? Can i still use the cropped photos even if i see they didnt fit in the two guide lines?

i have a funny experience, i have been trying to crop my photo using the photo tool on a mac pro laptop, reading the instructions it says i must position the image between the 2 guidelines, when i do that i get a message to reposition my image,when i zoom such that the image is sligtly beyoond the two guide lines,the photos get cropped succesfully? Can i still use the cropped photos even if i see they didnt fit in the two guide lines?

I believe this is something you'll have to make a judgement call on.