Lots of TN questions

popeyes

Hi there

First of all wanted to thank a number of you here who provide timely advice and recommendations.

I have a job offer in California and I live in Toronto. I will be applying for a TN but I'm wondering if this can be done at any POE irrespective of whether I am going to California? As in: can I apply for a TN on a random trip to New York (for example) or should I be headed to Cali? The reason I am asking is because I don't want to invest in a plane ticket and book time off work etc with the potential that I will be denied a TN and therefore entry to the USA...would rather go to a border to which I can drive (and drive back, instead of an airport) but not sure this will put me at a disadvantage....

Thoughts? Advice?

Thank you

Of course --- you can get the TN from any POE. You could drive to the POEs in Kingston, Niagara etc., get the TN (but *do* enter the US) and then you can come back, pack up and fly to Cali. Good luck

*Some* officers insist that you be "going to work" in order to be granted TN an a particular entry. But those are rare. A way to side-step that issue is to arrange a working telecon with your new employer for just after you cross the border. that way you can honestly tell an insistent officer that you are indeed beginning work. (Another reason why you TN letter should not have a future start date).

That is what I did two years ago. I received an offer from a company in southern California. Once the lawyer sent all the TN paperwork to me in Toronto area on a Wednesday. I drove to Queenston-Lewiston bridge near Niagara Falls and arrived 9am on Thursday morning, dressed in business attire with my spouse and child. At the POE they took our passports and told us to go inside for further processing. They took finger prints of all ten fingers, took photos, asked a few standard questions and about 30 mins later I had my TN status passport stamp , spouse and child with TD status, and I-94 cards stapled in our passports. We drove to Bank Of America in Niagara Falls to open a US checking account, so I had a bank account number to provide on my first day on the job. BoA is one of few banks in NY state and CA state. I think it look longer to open a US bank account, lots of forms to complete. Then we drove back to Toronto area and bought our airfare to California to leave Sunday morning. I picked up rental car, provided by company, at LAX airport and drove to Temporary Housing Sunday night. Started my job on Monday morning. Looking back it was a mad rush, but it all worked out. Just do you own homework and preparation. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your responses!! very helpful and appreciate the prompt responses :))))

My next question: my job description does not fit neatly with one of the TN job qualifications...I am going as a Service Designer in an innovation lab.... and I am at a loss as to which category I would fit? Any suggestions/experiences/tips?

So, trying to figure out where to get TN was a little bit of putting the cart before the horse....

What is your degree in, and are you using that degree in this job, and does your degree match a TN category? That would be a start.

So, trying to figure out where to get TN was a little bit of putting the cart before the horse....

What is your degree in, and are you using that degree in this job, and does your degree match a TN category? That would be a start.

lol just wanted to know whether to book flights early enough on...

My degree is in Politics and Development Studies... so not quite a natural fit for any particular TN category :(

yes, i believe a degree in politics and development studies does not qualify for TN status.
for others reading this forum, please understand TN status is employer driven. the employer decides to sponsor you. you must have employer sponsor.

Popeyes has a willing sponsor. The problem is he doesn't have a qualifying job, nor the educational background suited for any TN category. H1-B would be better suited, but is difficult to get and would only have October 2018 starting date.