looking for a job in US, recent Grad

wingwing1122

I am Canadian, recent grad in BS of Computer Science, currently looking for a job in US.
Have been looking for a job for a while, but I am quite confused am I doing to right thing.

1. Could I apply any engineer position, like software engineer, data scientist engineer, even though my degree is not in engineer? Is it the right way just aiming the position title with engineer?

2. Could I apply any developer position?

3.In the job application, some asked "are you legally authorized to work in the united states"? Should I said no, since I don't have any visa right now.

4. Is it ok for me to go US as a visitor and a find a job in there?

1. No.
2. Developper could be interpreted as programmer, which would be denied.
3. You are not authorized.
4. It is OK to visit US as a tourist. But not for the purpose of looking for work, That will get you denied entry, and blacklisted. You can go on pre-arranged interviews, return to Canada after those scheduled interviews.

1. No.
2. Developper could be interpreted as programmer, which would be denied.
3. You are not authorized.
4. It is OK to visit US as a tourist. But not for the purpose of looking for work, That will get you denied entry, and blacklisted. You can go on pre-arranged interviews, return to Canada after those scheduled interviews.

Thank you for replying,
but I am quite confused why I could not apply any engineer position?
Which position/occupation should I look for that is qualified??

You don't have an engineering-related degree. You are at best a systems analyst (CSA).

Next time, if your wanted to be an engineer, study to be an engineer.

Expanding on what Nelsona said, in Canada/US, Engineer is a protected title (one of the things you learn in Engineering Ethics). You can't call yourself something you're not.

Even after graduating engineering (in my case), I am still not an engineer. I'm often referred to an engineer in training, or an engineering graduate. After writing the PE exam, then I can call myself an Engineer, licensed engineer or professional engineer. Just an FYI.

For TN purposes, such an elevated notion is not required. But you do have to have an engineering degree to work as an engineer under TN. What you, or your professional order insist you call yourself is immaterial.

Just to clarify, if your Computer Science degree is under the ECE department, you can certainly call yourself an Engineer. If you have done all the required EE related courses, and the Math/Physics etc. then you are eligible to apply for engineering positions in software. If the position is in Embedded Systems or Micro Controller programming etc. you will have no problems as long as its really CS and you have done Computer Architecture and other related courses.

Your firm can call the internal employee position what it wants, but to do tasks which are classified as Engineering in the OOS and get a TN under the Engineering category, your degree has to be in Engineering.

Just to clarify, if your Computer Science degree is under the ECE department, you can certainly call yourself an Engineer. If you have done all the required EE related courses, and the Math/Physics etc. then you are eligible to apply for engineering positions in software. If the position is in Embedded Systems or Micro Controller programming etc. you will have no problems as long as its really CS and you have done Computer Architecture and other related courses.

The Computer Science department is a separate department and does NOT come under any other department. Your post is rather confusing than clarifying!

I think this gentlemen did not study in the US or North America for that matter. Almost all schools work the same way, but here it is to start with -
eecs.mit.edu/

CS is run by the EE department, whether the student goes into hardware/software that is another thing. It is also sometimes run by the Arts and Science/Math department where it is more on the software/data structures side and less of engineering.

We don't want to go to "another thing" - The CS degree is not an engineering degree - does not matter who runs it - that's it!

Like what Nelson said "you do have to have an engineering degree to work as an engineer under TN".

"Is it ok for me to go US as a visitor and a find a job in there?"

Do you mean you want to attend a local career fair in the US and submit your resume?

That's not illegal by itself, but you better not divulge this when you're asked about the purpose of your trip to the US. Do not under any circumstances say anything that could imply you're seeking employment. Even if you've been granted an interview and are flying in for that, always say your entry is for leisure only.

"Even if you've been granted an interview and are flying in for that, always say your entry is for leisure only."

The current acceptable process is to show the admitting officer your appointment (letter/email), and you be admitted for that purpose. Lying at the border is never the best policy.

"Even if you've been granted an interview and are flying in for that, always say your entry is for leisure only."

The current acceptable process is to show the admitting officer your appointment (letter/email), and you be admitted for that purpose. Lying at the border is never the best policy.

It's not really lying since the interview itself doesn't guarantee employment and often times interviewees do take at least half a day to have fun (especially for big tech companies, e.g. Microsoft).

I'm basically saying one should be as vague as possible. Never volunteer information about US-based employment (unless you've actually got an offer or a visa), or family members residing in the US, because it just takes one nasty CBP officer to use that as an excuse to accuse you of attempting to be an illegal immigrant (I doubt they actually believe that, they are just jerks who get off on ruining other people's day). If you're a person of colour, especially someone of Arab/Persian/South Asian descent, this is doubly important.

Actually that is not true. As nelsona said...be truthful. When I had my interview in the US, I told the officer I have a job interview. His only Q was: "so your employer will arrange for work authorization if you get selected". My answer is was affirmative and he had no issues letting me in. The risks with lying are too high and not worth it