LNU - Last Name Unknown issue

Aswin78

Hello, In my passport SurName is empty and GivenName is xxxx yyyyy. When i applied for green card , i had given First Name : xxxx yyyyy and Last Name : LNU. (My SSN , Employment , Bank Accounts etc are in this format) . My EAD and AP has name as LNU, xxxx yyyyy. Will there be any problem if i travel abroad?. Will the port of entry people mistake LNU as my last name and tell that the name in passport and AP doesn't match?. Please let me know. Also, I remember seeing one PDF article from USCIS or DOL which tells about the usage of LNU and FNU. Do anyone has a copy of it ? Or Help me to locate it ?. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, In my passport SurName is empty and GivenName is xxxx yyyyy. When i applied for green card , i had given First Name : xxxx yyyyy and Last Name : LNU. (My SSN , Employment , Bank Accounts etc are in this format) . My EAD and AP has name as LNU, xxxx yyyyy. Will there be any problem if i travel abroad?. Will the port of entry people mistake LNU as my last name and tell that the name in passport and AP doesn't match?. Please let me know. Also, I remember seeing one PDF article from USCIS or DOL which tells about the usage of LNU and FNU. Do anyone has a copy of it ? Or Help me to locate it ?. Thanks.

what is your Surname or do you not have one for some reason ?

Hello, Thanks for your reply. I don't have any surname and i have two first names xxxx yyyyy. Thats why i was having LNU in my names. Since my documents followed that pattern , i have LNU,xxxx yyyy as my names in all documents except my passport.