• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

LND Embassy Interview Experience

franko

Hi All. Just wanted to share my DV2014 lottery experience. It has been quite a ride! Applying, waiting for the results and then spending another 15 months wondering if my number will ever get current, despite history laughing in my face and saying: “ NO WAY DUDE! FORGET IT!”

First of all, huge thanks to the forum CREW!

Simon your input, patience, DV expertise and commitment are uncanny! To simply put it:
crazy.jpg

Vladdy my Man, Mom, SQQQ, Kayend, Rafik, Malcolm, Sloner, Chicago, Levi, Mijoro, EURO and many others. Your advice, humour, arguments, panic attacks and all the crazy stuff had made last year bearable! I will never forget the insanity happening around and post each visa bulletin :D I guess DV2015 folk will go through it same as we have :)

So my CN was just under 40k and more less few hundred CNs in the cut-off for August made all the difference. Considering my CN, the interview was scheduled quite early in the month which of course I was happy about.

Pre Interview

My interview was scheduled at 8.00. To avoid any problems I decided to spend the night within the walking distance from the embassy. Booked a hotel not far away from Grosvenor Square, probably 15 minute walk and that meant extortionate prices for anything decent with a good size room.

On the day of the interview I woke up at 4am and could not sleep. Was mentally preparing for the interview and from time to time watched my wife sleep (like a total creep :p). We’ve heard about gigantic queues at the embassy so we wanted to get there early. Based on advice from the forum members, we decided to go for the smart look but ended up looking a bit off in my opinion. I believe my better half looked like a young, modest but sexy wife of a republican senator running for re-election and I was rocking a look of somebody going to a posh wedding mixed with a stock broker with a sprinkle of hipster to top it up :D

Left the hotel at 7, before that we checked out and left the bags in the lobby to collect later. It was a sunny, beautiful morning and so unusually quiet for London. We arrived at the embassy around 7.15am where we saw around 30-40 people already queuing. Shortly after we got there, few young ladies wheeled out couple of billboards saying US Citizens (entrance on the left) and Non/Immigrant Visas (the right entrance). Then they started creating two queues for people having interviews at 8 and 8.30 and later. Then, they gave us plastic bags to put our mobiles, keys, watches and belts in. Next they checked our 2NL and an invitation letter from the embassy. Then we ended up in another smaller queue where a guard checked our letters and passports. Then we went through security check and into the embassy. I had a look at my watch and it was 7.55 when a nice, young guy in the reception glued a ticket starting with letter "I", followed by a number on to our 2NL. We were told to wait in the waiting area till our number gets called.

We had a look around, sat in close proximity of the fans and prepared to spend hours waiting. Then, 30 seconds later our number got called to window 13.

Nice, mid age lady greeted us and the whole process started. She checked our passports, asked for all expired passports with US visas in them so she could cancel them, if our application gets approved. Then she grabbed our file from the cabinet and we started passing our docs to her. First the originals, then copies. She had a quick glance at my high school diploma and joined my wife in making jokes about my haircut :D In my defence I was a teen then and spikey haircut was considered cool (at least I thought so). Once she had all of our docs I passed her a set of freshly printed DS-230 with updated details. Then we were asked about the I-134. We did not have one, instead we supplied her with our savings statement (both printed at home and taken form the bank with an official stamp) with around $30500, property equity statement and a letter from my employer here in the UK stating my position. I also had a letter from our US headquarters used for my L-1 application, describing the relation between both branches and the likelihood of possible transfer of workforce.

Then we got our fingerprints scanned. Paid the visa fee at the window on the left and were asked to wait till our number pops up on the screen again. Also we received an envelope with our x-rays. It had expiry date clearly marked on the front (6 months form the date of the medicals).

Again we prepared ourselves for a few hours wait but within 10 minutes our number was on the screen again. Another nice, smiling lady greeted us. First we had to rise our hands and take the oath. Got our finger prints checked and were asked to sign the bottom of the DS230. Then I was asked what my degree was, my wife was asked if she had finished high school and had a degree too, she replied yes both times. Then I was asked where we were planning to settle.

Following that, we were told that our application has been approved and we will receive our passports within 10 days. And that was that!

We left at 9.05 and if they have not seen a guy Moonwalking in front of the embassy before…well they have now.

Last edited:
Franky my uncle van lankal, wow !
I enjoyed every word of your experience, thank you so much :)

Ps: staring at your wife while she's sleeping ! yo freak :D

Last edited:
Franky my uncle van lankal, wow !
I enjoyed every word of your experience, thank you so much :)

Ps: steering at your wife while she's sleeping ! yo freak :D

Staring at your own wife sleeping is perfectly ok - and I'm sure she is a yummy mummy....

Loved the paragraph on the fashion etiquette for DV winners. I'm sure Franko and Mrs Franko are the David Beckham and Posh spice of the forum....

Hi Franko

Thanks for sharing your exp. . I am looking forward for my interview in June/July 2015, in London. Kindly share your tel. number so I can ring you for more info. about your interview....

Regards
DM

Hi All. Just wanted to share my DV2014 lottery experience. It has been quite a ride! Applying, waiting for the results and then spending another 15 months wondering if my number will ever get current, despite history laughing in my face and saying: “ NO WAY DUDE! FORGET IT!”

First of all, huge thanks to the forum CREW!

Simon your input, patience, DV expertise and commitment are uncanny! To simply put it:
View attachment 111

Vladdy my Man, Mom, SQQQ, Kayend, Rafik, Malcolm, Sloner, Chicago, Levi, Mijoro, EURO and many others. Your advice, humour, arguments, panic attacks and all the crazy stuff had made last year bearable! I will never forget the insanity happening around and post each visa bulletin :D I guess DV2015 folk will go through it same as we have :)

So my CN was just under 40k and more less few hundred CNs in the cut-off for August made all the difference. Considering my CN, the interview was scheduled quite early in the month which of course I was happy about.

Pre Interview

My interview was scheduled at 8.00. To avoid any problems I decided to spend the night within the walking distance from the embassy. Booked a hotel not far away from Grosvenor Square, probably 15 minute walk and that meant extortionate prices for anything decent with a good size room.

On the day of the interview I woke up at 4am and could not sleep. Was mentally preparing for the interview and from time to time watched my wife sleep (like a total creep :p). We’ve heard about gigantic queues at the embassy so we wanted to get there early. Based on advice from the forum members, we decided to go for the smart look but ended up looking a bit off in my opinion. I believe my better half looked like a young, modest but sexy wife of a republican senator running for re-election and I was rocking a look of somebody going to a posh wedding mixed with a stock broker with a sprinkle of hipster to top it up :D

Left the hotel at 7, before that we checked out and left the bags in the lobby to collect later. It was a sunny, beautiful morning and so unusually quiet for London. We arrived at the embassy around 7am where we saw around 30-40 people already queuing. Shortly after we got there, few young ladies wheeled out couple of billboards saying US Citizens (entrance on the left) and Non/Immigrant Visas (the right entrance). Then they started creating two queues for people having interviews at 8 and 8.30 and later. Then, they gave us plastic bags to put our mobiles, keys, watches and belts in. Next they checked our 2NL and an invitation letter from the embassy. Then we ended up in another smaller queue where a guard checked our letters and passports. Then we went through security check and into the embassy. I had a look at my watch and it was 7.55 when a nice, young guy in the reception glued a ticket starting with letter "I", followed by a number on to our 2NL. We were told to wait in the waiting area till our number gets called.

We had a look around, sat in close proximity of the fans and prepared to spend hours waiting. Then, 30 seconds later our number got called to window 13.

Nice, mid age lady greeted us and the whole process started. She checked our passports, asked for all expired passports with US visas in them so she could cancel them, if our application gets approved. Then she grabbed our file from the cabinet and we started passing our docs to her. First the originals, then copies. She had a quick glance at my high school diploma and joined my wife in making jokes about my haircut :D In my defence I was a teen then and spikey haircut was considered cool (at least I thought so). Once she had all of our docs I passed her a set of freshly printed DS-230 with updated details. Then we were asked about the I-134. We did not have one, instead we supplied her with our savings statement (both printed at home and taken form the bank with an official stamp) with around $30500, property equity statement and a letter from my employer here in the UK stating my position. I also had a letter from our US headquarters used for my L-1 application, describing the relation between both branches and the likelihood of possible transfer of workforce.

Then we got our fingerprints scanned. Paid the visa fee at the window on the left and were asked to wait till our number pops up on the screen again. Also we received an envelope with our x-rays. It had expiry date clearly marked on the front (6 months form the date of the medicals).

Again we prepared ourselves for a few hours wait but within 10 minutes our number was on the screen again. Another nice, smiling lady greeted us. First we had to rise our hands and take the oath. Got our finger prints checked and were asked to sign the bottom of the DS230. Then I was asked what my degree was, my wife was asked if she had finished high school and had a degree too, she replied yes both times. Then I was asked where we were planning to settle.

Following that, we were told that our application has been approved and we will receive our passports within 10 days. And that was that!

We left at 9.05 and if they have not seen a guy Moonwalking in front of the embassy before…well they have now.

Hi

I just checked my DS260 and found out the following dates are incorrect on the DS260 :-
Date of Attendance From: 02 JANUARY 1983
Date of Attendance To: 30 DECEMBER 1986

it should have been as per the high/secondary school leaving cert:-
Date of Attendance From: 01 JANUARY 1983
Date of Attendance To: 31 DECEMBER 1986

and below entry is incorrect on DS260 under my A-Level school date:-
Date of Attendance To: 01 JUNE 1989

Whereas as per the A-Level school certificate shows as :-
Date of Attendance To: 30 JUNE 1989

Is above mistakes to be concerned , and please advice what should I do....

Regards
DM

Case No. : 2015AF00042xxx
DS260 Completed on : 3rd July 2014

These dates are 25/30 YEARS ago. I have NO IDEA what date I left school - I can barely remember the year. OF COURSE this is nothing to be concerned about.

Just collected our passports and envelopes from local depot of the shipping company that London embassy uses :) :) :) What caught my attention is actual visa expiry date which is the date of my medicals + six months. I've read about other people reporting full six months of visa validity (from issue date) but I guess LND play it safe and make sure that people do not enter pass their medicals expiry date.

Just collected our passports and envelopes from local depot of the shipping company that London embassy uses :) :) :) What caught my attention is actual visa expiry date which is the date of my medicals + six months. I've read about other people reporting full six months of visa validity (from issue date) but I guess LND play it safe and make sure that people do not enter pass their medicals expiry date.
I bet, you are staring at your visa sticker the whole time ! Yo freack :D:D:p

Hi all,

as promised this is my DV “interview” story, first of all Franko apologies for stealing your thread, since this is London embassy and a successful
interview I thought I could add few lines underneath as well. Hopefully someone will find this helpfull.

My interview was scheduled for WED’s morning 8AM sharp, since I wanted to play safe (and not miss the interview time)
and as we had to fly in at the same time (I live too far from London so there was no other viable option for me) we decided to
arrive a day earlier so we would have enough time in the morning in order to reach the embassy without well know
(presumably to all of us) “so much drama” factor - where we are in a rush and everything seems to go wrong.

We had arrived at Stansted on TUE 10AM, we took a car rental from AViS for 2 days there, also I had booked two rooms (family of 5)
in Premier Inn (just beside Stansted airport) well in advance, so hotel was not that expensive comparing to the London city centre.
By travelling from Stansted there was still a risk, of course, to miss 8am time on WED, however we aimed to leave early enough
so we would have an extra time for delays if need be.

On TUE we went to London for a recon. We located nice parking spot at Bell Street in advance and we placed our car there,
it’s not too far - approx. 15 mins by walk from Kensington Park and 25 mins from Embassy, what we confirmed ourselves - by exercising
our planned (for WED morning) route. BTW if you would ever need a car park close to city centre and if that location would suit you I
highly recommend it, its just outside the congestion zone so be careful on how you approach that location. The place is secured with
on site staff 24hrs/day, they even have toilets (which is perfect if you have kids - don’t expect air refreshers there - to say the least :D )
rates are OK as well.
http://www.lrparking.com

We had planned remaining part of the day for London field trip, so we did so. By 7PM my children where literally knackered, we packed
ourselves up and we drove back to the hotel. We were - my wife and myself - so tired that we didn’t even have time to think about the interview
(our little monkeys - read children - “discharged” us fully throughout that day) I just managed to skim through the interview “files” one more
time, I don’t think, I even saw 10PM before I fell asleep.

We had to get up at 4AM on THU morning, we had checked out from hotel just before 5, we had a quick breakfast afterwards as well
and we left hotel at 5:20. We drove South via M1 and then WEST via A406 and then again South along A41, we reached car park at 6:45
and Embassy Gates at 7:20 more or less.

At 7:30 embassies staff had showed up and they started to organise (VISA related) queue (there is 2nd one for citizens) by interview times,
we went through security gates towards visa section of the building - right side of it - and we reached waiting hall by 7:50 i think.

In order to cherish the tradition of our well known forum member - we sat in close proximity to the fans of course :D, 5 minutes later
my two youngest started the well known “are we there yet” game, this thing actually didn’t stop until we left embassy premises,
even during interview with a consular officer, he could have children himself as he didn’t seem to bothered by this at all :D.

At 8:15 we were called in for document inspection, there are two lines of “windows” in visa section - dozen or so in each,
one of them is placed just beside waiting area - where can be noisy at times, and the 2nd one is hidden along the side corridor
where it is a little bit quitter so I was happy that we were called in there (window #16).

So i was asked for original and copies of each type of required documents. For family of 5 it is a lot of paper however I had documents
and copies secured in separate punched pockets so process went smoothly, the guy from the other side was impressed :D. Once he asked
for and took first set of documents - birth certificates - he asked me to pay the visa fee - so I did that. I thought its a good sign since I heard that
sometime if they find obvious issues with an application they tend to advice applicant to withdraw documents early so money is not lost.

Next I handed over all remaining documents, also updated forms (I added US address and some details which had changed since last year),
also since I forgot to register for courier services i was given pink form needed to register for such service. At that point I just put my address details on it,
there was a barcode with my interview number on it as well, more on this later.

Next (30 minutes from the beginning of this part of the interview) the guy from the other side of the window said that we are all set for the time being,
I was asked to go back to waiting area and wait for interview with a consular officer.

After 30 minutes or so we were called in again, there was a new guy - consular officer this time round, he asked us (me, my wife and our oldest boy) to
redo some of the finger tips scans, we signed the forms in, and we gave an oath (I’m not sure about the sequence, though).

He asked couple of questions afterwards,
- first about financial support, I brought statements showings my savings and confirmation of equity i have on two flats I own, so he asked about this.
My documented savings were slightly above advised household “Poverty” guideline levels for family of 5 - documented since couple of months ago,
- Then he asked about my higher education history, he was surprised that I have two master degrees, and he literally asked why I didn’t go for just one bachelor
degree and why one would need to do more than one, so I explained the background of this.
- he also asked whether I lived in any other countries beside the ones I already declared for 6 months or longer,
- Then he asked how long we are married, and where do i intend to go / stay and what are my plans for US. I told him that I work for US company (which has
an office in UK and headquarters in Boston and New Hampshire) and that likely I would apply for a job in the company i already work for, I was prepared to
present him further documents on this, he didn’t want to look at it at all.
- Lastly he asked how many times I have been to US and about the last departure details, so I answered that.

Then he handed over all original documents to me, he smiled and said that we are approved. That was it really. I was happy, my children were even
happier, they could finally leave the building (for promised visit in Diana Memorial Playground in the Kensington Park).

Before we did so we were sent to the other side of the building to pay for the courier service on site, so we did that, we left courier request there
and paid 10.5 pound for 5 people.

That second - left side - of the building is reserved for american citizens / residents, it has its own entry and exit, when we were walking out throughout
that second exit, my wife said:
“This nicely sums up our situation, we entered the building as a foreigner petitioners, and we left the building through out citizens doors”.
“Well said” I returned, and we all left.

Hi all,

as promised this is my DV “interview” story, first of all Franko apologies for stealing your thread, since this is London embassy and a successful
interview I thought I could add few lines underneath as well. Hopefully someone will find this helpfull.

My interview was scheduled for WED’s morning 8AM sharp, since I wanted to play safe (and not miss the interview time)
and as we had to fly in at the same time (I live too far from London so there was no other viable option for me) we decided to
arrive a day earlier so we would have enough time in the morning in order to reach the embassy without well know
(presumably to all of us) “so much drama” factor - where we are in a rush and everything seems to go wrong.

We had arrived at Stansted on TUE 10AM, we took a car rental from AViS for 2 days there, also I had booked two rooms (family of 5)
in Premier Inn (just beside Stansted airport) well in advance, so hotel was not that expensive comparing to the London city centre.
By travelling from Stansted there was still a risk, of course, to miss 8am time on WED, however we aimed to leave early enough

On TUE we went to London for a recon. We located nice parking spot at Bell Street in advance and we placed our car there,
it’s not too far - approx. 15 mins by walk from Kensington Park and 25 mins from Embassy, what we confirmed ourselves - by exercising
our planned (for WED morning) route. BTW if you would ever need a car park close to city centre and if that location would suit you I
highly recommend it, its just outside the congestion zone so be careful on how you approach that location. The place is secured with
on site staff 24hrs/day, they even have toilets (which is perfect if you have kids - don’t expect air refreshers there - to say the least :D )
rates are OK as well.

We had planned remaining part of the day for London field trip, so we did so. By 7PM my children where literally knackered, we packed
ourselves up and we drove back to the hotel. We were - my wife and myself - so tired that we didn’t even have time to think about the interview
(our little monkeys - read children - “discharged” us fully throughout that day) I just managed to skim through the interview “files” one more

We had to get up at 4AM on THU morning, we had checked out from hotel just before 5, we had a quick breakfast afterwards as well
and we left hotel at 5:20. We drove South via M1 and then WEST via A406 and then again South along A41, we reached car park at 6:45

At 7:30 embassies staff had showed up and they started to organise (VISA related) queue (there is 2nd one for citizens) by interview times,
we went through security gates towards visa section of the building - right side of it - and we reached waiting hall by 7:50 i think.

In order to cherish the tradition of our well known forum member - we sat in close proximity to the fans of course :D, 5 minutes later
my two youngest started the well known “are we there yet” game, this thing actually didn’t stop until we left embassy premises,
even during interview with a consular officer, he could have children himself as he didn’t seem to bothered by this at all :D.

At 8:15 we were called in for document inspection, there are two lines of “windows” in visa section - dozen or so in each,
one of them is placed just beside waiting area - where can be noisy at times, and the 2nd one is hidden along the side corridor
where it is a little bit quitter so I was happy that we were called in there (window #16).

So i was asked for original and copies of each type of required documents. For family of 5 it is a lot of paper however I had documents
and copies secured in separate punched pockets so process went smoothly, the guy from the other side was impressed :D. Once he asked
for and took first set of documents - birth certificates - he asked me to pay the visa fee - so I did that. I thought its a good sign since I heard that
sometime if they find obvious issues with an application they tend to advice applicant to withdraw documents early so money is not lost.

Next I handed over all remaining documents, also updated forms (I added US address and some details which had changed since last year),
also since I forgot to register for courier services i was given pink form needed to register for such service. At that point I just put my address details on it,

Next (30 minutes from the beginning of this part of the interview) the guy from the other side of the window said that we are all set for the time being,
I was asked to go back to waiting area and wait for interview with a consular officer.

After 30 minutes or so we were called in again, there was a new guy - consular officer this time round, he asked us (me, my wife and our oldest boy) to
redo some of the finger tips scans, we signed the forms in, and we gave an oath (I’m not sure about the sequence, though).

- first about financial support, I brought statements showings my savings and confirmation of equity i have on two flats I own, so he asked about this.
My documented savings were slightly above advised household “Poverty” guideline levels for family of 5 - documented since couple of months ago,
- Then he asked about my higher education history, he was surprised that I have two master degrees, and he literally asked why I didn’t go for just one bachelor
degree and why one would need to do more than one, so I explained the background of this.
- he also asked whether I lived in any other countries beside the ones I already declared for 6 months or longer,
- Then he asked how long we are married, and where do i intend to go / stay and what are my plans for US. I told him that I work for US company (which has
an office in UK and headquarters in Boston and New Hampshire) and that likely I would apply for a job in the company i already work for, I was prepared to
- Lastly he asked how many times I have been to US and about the last departure details, so I answered that.

Then he handed over all original documents to me, he smiled and said that we are approved. That was it really. I was happy, my children were even
happier, they could finally leave the building (for promised visit in Diana Memorial Playground in the Kensington Park).

Before we did so we were sent to the other side of the building to pay for the courier service on site, so we did that, we left courier request there

That second - left side - of the building is reserved for american citizens / residents, it has its own entry and exit, when we were walking out throughout
“This nicely sums up our situation, we entered the building as a foreigner petitioners, and we left the building through out citizens doors”.

Awesome Bonio! Glad it all went as smooth as it did. And no worries about "stealing my thunder" :D Hopefully people having interviews in LND will find this thread useful :)

Hi all,

rates are OK as well.

THat makes me nostalgic about London. You took a gamble driving into London - I would have taken the train I think (well I would actually have taken a motorbike, but I can't get the whole family on a motorbike).

Awesome narration - glad it worked out well for you. Go Londoners!

I like the fact that you went for a "dry run" the day before. Getting all the flanks covered. This is how I like to play :)
Awesome!

Simon. Are you saying that you're fed up with Cali already :D Comming back to "sunny" London ? :D