• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Living in the US and being selected

Bbal4lif2

I've lived in the US for almost 10 years(legally) L2 visa and f1 visa currently and I was wondering - Upon applying for the Greencard Lottery does the system take into consideration if you have an American Address or not? Because I have applied for the past 3 years and haven't been selected. Just wondering if having U.S. address is a factor..

I've lived in the US for almost 10 years(legally) L2 visa and f1 visa currently and I was wondering - Upon applying for the Greencard Lottery does the system take into consideration if you have an American Address or not? Because I have applied for the past 3 years and haven't been selected. Just wondering if having U.S. address is a factor..

Not a factor. It's random. But the average winning chance is once every 100 to 200 years, for most regions.

It's a random selection. Current or past address isn't taken into consideration during the selection

Not a factor. It's random. But the average winning chance is once every 100 to 200 years, for most regions.

100 to 200 Years??? Holy...... I guess I just found out how lucky I am to be winning this on my first try. If its 100 to 200 years per win, I think that is comparable to most lottery jackpots. except the DVlottery is free to enter.

100 to 200 Years??? Holy...... I guess I just found out how lucky I am to be winning this on my first try. If its 100 to 200 years per win, I think that is comparable to most lottery jackpots. except the DVlottery is free to enter.

It's far less than a lottery, but you can only get one DV ticket per year.

OC region has far better odds - about 1 in 20.

It's far less than a lottery, but you can only get one DV ticket per year.

OC region has far better odds - about 1 in 20.

Far less than lottery in a single draw, but you mention 100 to 200 years to win, thats about the same as lottery draw if you buy it every single draw(2 draws per week in most cases.) you would win once in 100 to 200 years.

Far less than lottery in a single draw, but you mention 100 to 200 years to win, thats about the same as lottery draw if you buy it every single draw(2 draws per week in most cases.) you would win once in 100 to 200 years.

Well not to do with DV, but no. not really.

Take Euromillions lottery. It has a winning chance of 1 in 116 million. So if you bought a ticket twice a week, you could expect to win once in 1 million years. So - DV sounds pretty good huh.

People have tried several times from 10 to 14 before getting selected. Its all based on luck and you need to keep on trying, while the program last, because it wont be forever. That's for sure.

People have tried since the program began and never been selected....

People have tried since the program began and never been selected....

That's why its called lottery and its based on luck right? People try on the first and get selected, people have tried since that start and never win. At the end keep on trying, while the program is available because it wont be forever

That's why its called lottery and its based on luck right? People try on the first and get selected, people have tried since that start and never win. At the end keep on trying, while the program is available because it wont be forever

Yes - but in most regions the chances of winning are very low - so on average people would only win 1 in 100+ years (optimistically).

Yes - but in most regions the chances of winning are very low - so on average people would only win 1 in 100+ years (optimistically).

That's true Brit but again its all based on luck and even if people know about the 1 in 100 they will still keep on trying because its based on luck. That's why you have people that try once and they win. If you don't apply you never know if your lucky, simple as that.

That's true Brit but again its all based on luck and even if people know about the 1 in 100 they will still keep on trying because its based on luck. That's why you have people that try once and they win. If you don't apply you never know if your lucky, simple as that.

Isn't that precisely what Simon is saying? :rolleyes: