Living abroad, fiance is from Canada, wedding in Canada, then moving to U.S.

EricOSU

Hello,

I've browsed the internet and these forums and am still utterly confused and have heard a mix of everything that I'm not sure what the most appropriate route to take is. So here's a quick backstory...

My fiance and I are currently living abroad as English Teachers in South Korea. She is from Canada and does not hold any visa for the U.S. I am a U.S. Citizen. We are planning to get married in Canada August 2013. We won't be back in North America until August as well. After the wedding we both want to live and work in the US as soon as possible. What is the easiest way to do this??? Is it possible to get a marriage certificate (in the U.S.) before the wedding in Canada? Thanks for any help you may offer and any direction! Take care ;) !

-Eric

more info

Ok, I've been researching this all day and have a few answers (perhaps), but still feeling a little down about the whole thing.

1) Is it possible to apply for a K-1 Fiance Visa while abroad? I'm in Korea and they do have a consulate. I've emailed them but waiting for a reply.

2) We have quite extensive travel plans between now and August (when our wedding is) so it will be nearly impossible to have interviews before then. In our scenario is a CR-1 visa more feasible to apply for?

3) Again, ultimately we will have the wedding ceremony in August and will want to live together in the states soon after. We don't hold a marriage cert. yet, and could obtain one when we return or even obtain one while here in Korea. How can we make our situation happen?

Thanks again!

A1: K-1 has to be sponsored by a US based fiance'/fiancee' wanting to marry his/her non-US fiancee'/fiance'.
A2: For CR-1, you need to find out if the local US consulate accepts I-130s. Else you will have to return to the US.
A3: Separation is over-rated. You may not be able to avoid it completely. Unless the local consulate accepts DCF, you will have to move to the US to begin her K-1 or CR-1 process. She can attempt to enter the US as a visitor for 6 months, but she may be denied entry.

1) Is it possible to apply for a K-1 Fiance Visa while abroad? I'm in Korea and they do have a consulate. I've emailed them but waiting for a reply.

2) We have quite extensive travel plans between now and August (when our wedding is) so it will be nearly impossible to have interviews before then. In our scenario is a CR-1 visa more feasible to apply for?

3) Again, ultimately we will have the wedding ceremony in August and will want to live together in the states soon after. We don't hold a marriage cert. yet, and could obtain one when we return or even obtain one while here in Korea. How can we make our situation happen?