• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Lebanon winners i am here to help

Hi, how are you! Actually my brother won it! And yes he had some questions, very easy! But u should b prepared, like ur papers should be fully prepared when they see it, they will be very easy!
Like , y ur going to usa?
What do you intened to do in usa?
Your college papers?
Who will accompany u if ur the winner,
They will make u say oath! And dont forget if they forgot to take your biometrics, ask them to do so!
You will enter room #6 its like an office, its not like the normal windows where all people stand, u will be treated very nice! And dont forget to take money with u to pay and another thing!
This greencard u earned it and they prepared it under ur name! U just have to be calm and show them that u will be able to support urself

Hi I'm Syrian but I'll be having my interview in Beirut- if my CN ever became current, of course! Best of luck to all winners and future winners! :)

Hi I'm Syrian but I'll be having my interview in Beirut- if my CN ever became current, of course! Best of luck to all winners and future winners! :)
Can you tell me your cn! Please put xxx at last, i just want to know the range! And dont listen to all these people here, oh u have high cn u wont be current just tell me the range'

Can you tell me your cn! Please put xxx at last, i just want to know the range! And dont listen to all these people here, oh u have high cn u wont be current just tell me the range'
Hi man, thanks for your reply! Apparently you can't see my signature if you're on mobile. Anyway it is AS10###, I know it's not impossible but I can't help but worry.
Your words are reassuring so thanks again! :)

Last edited:
I just saw this is your 11th time applying! I wish you the best man and hopefully the 12th time will be a charm for you ;)

Hi man, thanks for your reply! The CN is in my signature (which doesn't show on mobile). Anyway it is AS10###, I know it's not impossible but I can't help but worry.
Your words are reassuring so thanks again! :)
Man! Relax and take it easy u will be current, 10k, ull see, ull be current dont listen to any in here, they are all humans, never worked at kcc, thats wat they used to say abt my brothers cn it was 172xx , so ull get interview be prepared

Man! Relax and take it easy u will be current, 10k, ull see, ull be current dont listen to any in here, they are all humans, never worked at kcc, thats wat they used to say abt my brothers cn it was 172xx , so ull get interview be prepared
Thank you so much. I really hope so. Best of luck to you as well! :)

Hello,
Im fine and u?
Thank for ur answer, i will try to be calm at the interview .
I preaperd my paper, but i want to ask about translation , from wich ministry should i accredit the translation.
And if my certificate is in english from the lebanese university should i accredit it?

Ok, tarjamton lal english kelon, bas el tsdi2 mn el 5arjye bl francais la2n 2altli el mtrjmi eno bisd2o ya arabi ya francais bas .

Hello @3amakmahmoud,

I got selected for DV 2017 and was at the embassy yesterday with my family. The officer rejected me because I didn't have enough money in my account it seems. She told me to find a sponsor in the U.S and send back the related documents.

This whole situation was confusing. I thought the point of the DV lottery is not needing a sponsor, this is not an H1B application. It is a lottery which is based solely on luck. The DV website (travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/diversity-visa/if-you-are-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html) doesn't mention anything related to the financials of the selectee. The same with the US embassy in Lebanon site (lebanon.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas/visa-categories/dv-visas-diversity-visa-lottery.html). The officer replied back with "this is up to the officer to decide" when I told her about that.

My original interview at the embassy was on Jan 3, but I had to re-schedule because they needed extra documents (that aren't mentioned on the DV website at all) including a bank statement. I don't understand why I was being scrutinized outside of the DV rules.

Any ideas what's going on? this really pisses me off.

Hello @3amakmahmoud,

I got selected for DV 2017 and was at the embassy yesterday with my family. The officer rejected me because I didn't have enough money in my account it seems. She told me to find a sponsor in the U.S and send back the related documents.

This whole situation was confusing. I thought the point of the DV lottery is not needing a sponsor, this is not an H1B application. It is a lottery which is based solely on luck. The DV website (travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/diversity-visa/if-you-are-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html) doesn't mention anything related to the financials of the selectee. The same with the US embassy in Lebanon site (lebanon.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas/visa-categories/dv-visas-diversity-visa-lottery.html). The officer replied back with "this is up to the officer to decide" when I told her about that.

My original interview at the embassy was on Jan 3, but I had to re-schedule because they needed extra documents (that aren't mentioned on the DV website at all) including a bank statement. I don't understand why I was being scrutinized outside of the DV rules.

Any ideas what's going on? this really pisses me off.

No you were not being scrutinized outside of the DV rules. All IVs (including visa lottery) requires one to be able to show/prove they will not become a public charge, and the CO was completely correct in telling you "this is up to the officer to decide".

The USDOS website says;

Why was I refused under INA section 212(a)(4)? What is meant by “public charge”?

Visa applicants need to satisfy this provision of law by demonstrating proof of adequate financial support in the United States. A visa refusal, or ineligibility, under section 212(a)(4) of the INA means that the consular officer determined that you are likely to become a public charge in the United States. Public charge means that the consular officer determined that you are likely to become primarily dependent on the U.S. government for your existence and financial support in the United States.

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/denials.html

If you had clicked on the 'Denials webpage' link under the 'After the interview' tab of the 'If You Are Selected' page you tried to quote, it would have taken you to the section which I quoted above.

Yes DV is a self petitioned visa, however if you're unable to demonstrate you have enough financial means of supporting yourself and your family to ensure you will not become a public charge when issued with your IV, then you're required to find a sponsor who will fill out an affidavit of support for you, in this case that would be form I-134. So submit the requested document if you wish for them to change the temporary refusal you've been issued with.

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. What is enough? Is there a minimum balance that I should be having? Am I missing this information?
Also, will it cost the sponsor anything for the I-34? I mean will it be a bother? Should this sponsor be always available until I get the visa and then green card? My concern is needing the sponsor in the future as I have no idea if it's a temporary thing or permanent.

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. What is enough? Is there a minimum balance that I should be having? Am I missing this information?
Also, will it cost the sponsor anything for the I-34? I mean will it be a bother? Should this sponsor be always available until I get the visa and then green card? My concern is needing the sponsor in the future as I have no idea if it's a temporary thing or permanent.

What is considered 'enough' depends on the number of people in your family and that of your sponsor combined together.

The sponsor is basically signing an undertaking that they're willing to support you until you either become a citizen (typically done in 5 years) or you've earned enough 40 quarters of work (usually 10 years) - which is when you will qualify to apply for public assistance (if needed). The sponsor has nothing to fear as long as you do not become a public charge during those periods.

Simon had written extensively on public charge and affidavit of support on his public. I suggest you go over it (and some other pertinent posts):

http://britsimonsays.com/all-about-public-charge-affidavit-of-support-i-134/

Also go over form I-134 and it's applicable instructions:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-134

Understood.

Since they deemed my bank balance not enough, is it possible for instance to add more to my account (from my wife's account for instance) after asking them what is a good amount and send them a new statement? or will the refusal stay the same no matter what until sponsorship is obtained?
I did not know from the start that what I had was not enough as there were no guidelines.

Thanks

Understood.

Since they deemed my bank balance not enough, is it possible for instance to add more to my account (from my wife's account for instance) after asking them what is a good amount and send them a new statement? or will the refusal stay the same no matter what until sponsorship is obtained?
I did not know from the start that what I had was not enough as there were no guidelines.

Thanks

There were guidelines. In addition to the information that Mom posted there were clear instructions about public charge and the I-134 in the DV2017 instructions. So - you cannot complain that you were not informed - it is not their fault you did not read the instructions. You have been given a chance to resolve your mistake. Your next step should be conclusive. The I-134 is the best way to resolve it.