leaving US during I485 process.

ToffeeGC

What is the maximum day one can stay aboard from US due to family emergency during the I485 processing period? Thanks .

Someone..

ToffeeGC said:
What is the maximum day one can stay aboard from US due to family emergency during the I485 processing period? Thanks .

Someone..

You can stay as long as your Advance parole is valid.

ToffeeGC said:
That's mean I can leave the US as long as before my AP expired then, right?
thanks again.

To summarize this:
1-Only leave when you have AP in hand (not approved as I have seen cases where APs got lost in mail).
2. If you work, make sure you have a valid EAD/interim EAD because you will need it on your return.
3. Make sure you enter US on or before the expiry date on your AP.

Good luck

Staying out of US on AP

I have asked the same question to my lawyer and for some reason he has told me that you can not stay more than 60 days out of US on AP. (EB-3 Category) I do not know which answer is correct since i see here that someone said you can stay outta US as long as ur AP is valid. Please help me here giving some insight as I must have to stay in India for more than 60 days for extreme medical condition of my spouse and if I can not do this, I may wind up everything here, leave my green card process incomplete and go back for ever cos i knw tht coming back in 2 months is nearly impossible for me. ANy help would be greately appriciated. Thanks.

Techie_ssp said:
I have asked the same question to my lawyer and for some reason he has told me that you can not stay more than 60 days out of US on AP. (EB-3 Category) I do not know which answer is correct since i see here that someone said you can stay outta US as long as ur AP is valid. Please help me here giving some insight as I must have to stay in India for more than 60 days for extreme medical condition of my spouse and if I can not do this, I may wind up everything here, leave my green card process incomplete and go back for ever cos i knw tht coming back in 2 months is nearly impossible for me. ANy help would be greately appriciated. Thanks.

I stayed in my home country for a little less than 6 months, no problems at all while coming back on AP. I was not getting paid during that time.

Generally you can stay as long as your AP is valid. Make sure you don't miss any appointments while you're out.