Leaving country with debt on H1B

triangle123

I am currently working on H1B and would be laid off in 2 weeks. In this economy, I am unable to find a new job and have no option but to move back to India.

I have total debt of more than $100k (credit cards, private student loans and personal loans) which I have no means to even make minimum payments as I have absolutely no savings. I would not be able to file for bankruptcy as I am not eligible for it. For bankruptcy proceedings they base your income averaging last 6 months of pay. Some people wait for a few months without job thus lowering the average income below the threshold to file for bankruptcy. In my case I have to leave immediately due to H1B restrictions and thus would not be eligible.

1. If I just leave for India without notifying my creditors - what would happen? When I apply for another H1B or B1 later, would it be approved? I have heard that they get judgments against you; it would reflect in the system and I might be ineligible to even get a tourist visa again or would be stopped at the port of entry. This would be the devastating that I can't even visit again.

2. Can the creditors try to make this criminal or would it stay civil and just ruin my credit. They will send me collection notices to the last known address or try to trace me. I can try and settle with them once I am back.

3. Do they try to come after you if you go to Canada due to close proximity or do they just try to trace you within the US.

4. If someone knows of a proper way to file for bankruptcy in such a situation or know of people who have left abruptly like this, please let me know their experiences.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Many employers do both a criminal background and a credit check for potential employers. Your failure to repay your debts would likely cost you many job opportuities as you are viewed as irresponsible and a risky hire. Depending on your field of study, you may be denied a license to practice your profession.You would have great difficulty renting an apartment ortmaking any purchases or even getting utilities turned on without large deposits if you attempt to return to the US.

Depending on what you did to get so much money, you may have committed a criminal offense. I suggest you see a bankruptcy attorney before you leave.

In my experience your lack of payments will hurt your credit rating but little on your job prospects on to get another visa.
Your credit history has little bearing on most employers as you are not paying them money, they owe you money so credit ratings are of little consequence.
Of course that will pose difficulties getting a credit card, renting an apartment, cell phones, etc.

A credit card is a small plastic card issued to users as a system of payment. It allows its holder to buy goods and services based on the holder's promise to pay for these goods and services.

A credit card is a small plastic card issued to users as a system of payment. It allows its holder to buy goods and services based on the holder's promise to pay for these goods and services. .....

A credit card is a small plastic card issued to users as a system of payment. It allows its holder to buy goods and services based on the holder's promise to pay for these goods and services. ............

A credit card is a small plastic card issued to users as a system of payment. It allows its holder to buy goods and services based on the holder's promise to pay for these goods and services. vv

A credit card is a small plastic card issued to users as a system of payment. It allows its holder to buy goods and services based on the holder's promise to pay for these goods and services. xccc

A credit card is a small plastic card issued to users as a system of payment. It allows its holder to buy goods and services based on the holder's promise to pay for these goods and services. cccccccccccccc

A credit card is a small plastic card issued to users as a system of payment. It allows its holder to buy goods and services based on the holder's promise to pay for these goods and services. zzzzzzzz

A credit card is a small plastic card issued to users as a system of payment. It allows its holder to buy goods and services based on the holder's promise to pay for these goods and services. xzzzzz

A credit card is a small plastic card issued to users as a system of payment. It allows its holder to buy goods and services based on the holder's promise to pay for these goods and services. zzc

A credit card is a small plastic card issued to users as a system of payment. It allows its holder to buy goods and services based on the holder's promise to pay for these goods and services. zc

A credit card is a small plastic card issued to users as a system of payment. It allows its holder to buy goods and services based on the holder's promise to pay for these goods and services. zxc

A credit card is a small plastic card issued to users as a system of payment. It allows its holder to buy goods and services based on the holder's promise to pay for these goods and services. adaf

A credit card is a small plastic card issued to users as a system of payment. It allows its holder to buy goods and services based on the holder's promise to pay for these goods and services. xsc

A credit card is a small plastic card issued to users as a system of payment. It allows its holder to buy goods and services based on the holder's promise to pay for these goods and services. czv

A credit card is a small plastic card issued to users as a system of payment. It allows its holder to buy goods and services based on the holder's promise to pay for these goods and services. zadffsd

A credit card is a small plastic card issued to users as a system of payment. It allows its holder to buy goods and services based on the holder's promise to pay for these goods and services.The issuer of the card creates a revolving account and grants a line of credit to the consumer from which the user can borrow money for payment to a merchant or as a cash advance to the user.
=========
Debt Help

Credit scores are very important for access home loan, car, personal loan etc. Credit card users should maintain their credit score and here i want to share information where you explore more on credit score.