leaving Canada after applying for citizenship

sim1974

I have lived in and worked in Toronto - Canada for the past 3 years and paid taxes. Last month I completed the 1096 days required to be in Canada before applying for Canadian citizenship and I submitted the application on the 8th of March 2005 . At the time being I'm being offered a job outside of Canada (the Middle East) and would like to know if there would be any problem with me leaving the country while I wait for processing of application and then coming back to take the test and later on the oath once I'm notified. I just want to make sure CIC would have no problem with that. I want to be on the safe side here and would appreciate any info/experiences others had ..thanks in advance

As far as i know, you are not to leave the country more than a month. If so, you have to notify Immigration Canada. It's on their website. I think under frequently asked questions part.

Can some one post my question regarding Candain citizenship and US green Crad

I was canadian resident and applied for the canadain citizenship, and married to us citizen and moved to US, have a green card and living in US. Now I recieved a letter from Canada to take a oath of candain citizenship. Can go to Canada and take a Candian citizenship oath, would it effect my greec card status or later on naturlaization to the US citizenship?

zakoglu,

is that a new law? i did not notify when i left for what's now been a year. i took my test, my oath and also my passport while been working in the US

Hi

Priya75 said:
zakoglu,

is that a new law? i did not notify when i left for what's now been a year. i took my test, my oath and also my passport while been working in the US

There is no such law about notifying CIC when you leave Canada.

PMM

Please see the attached link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/times/cit-info.html

Making an inquiry about your application

During the processing of your application for Canadian citizenship, you should only contact CIC if you:

change your address;

plan on leaving Canada for more than two weeks in a row; are charged with a criminal offence;
have not received any information on your file within the general processing times.

As you can see, it is clear that you need to inform CIC if you plan to leave Canada for more than 2 weeks.

Windsorite,

Please read what you have posted. You don't have to *inform* them.

They clearly said 'Making an inquiry about your application' and it is NOT informing them.

What they mean is, if you are out of the country and won't be checking your mail at the CIC priovded address, you might want to call and ask them to either place your application on hold OR get info from them about what they have mailed to you (which is what I did for my test and oath).

The reason is, they don't mail test and oath and documentation info to PO Boxes, nor outside the country.

Hope that helps.