• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Last Tax Return required in I-134 if not self-employed?

albaeagle

I was hoping that there are enough members of this forum that have applied with an I-134 with their DV to help answer this question for me...

The instructions for the I-134 clearly state on page 1

C:
If self-employed:
1. copy of last income tax return filed

This is the only place in the instructions where income tax returns are mentioned.

I have filled out the I-134 for my family members that have an upcoming DV interview, including all evidence requested in part A (from my employer), and part B (from my bank), as well as some additional stuff I added that would help (like pay stubs and a brief letter to the Interviewer). My income is well above the poverty line and i'm sure it's enough to support them. I did NOT include the tax return as I am not "self-employed"

My family member's lawyer just gave us a list of documents required by the embassy in Greece for i-134 forms. This list INCLUDES the tax returns. Can an embassy really request documents beyond what is specified in the instructions? Maybe this is the lawyer's misinterpretation? Has anyone interviewed and submitted an i-134 that did not include income tax returns?

Thanks,

Albaeagle

I was hoping that there are enough members of this forum that have applied with an I-134 with their DV to help answer this question for me...

The instructions for the I-134 clearly state on page 1

C:
If self-employed:
1. copy of last income tax return filed

This is the only place in the instructions where income tax returns are mentioned.

I have filled out the I-134 for my family members that have an upcoming DV interview, including all evidence requested in part A (from my employer), and part B (from my bank), as well as some additional stuff I added that would help (like pay stubs and a brief letter to the Interviewer). My income is well above the poverty line and i'm sure it's enough to support them. I did NOT include the tax return as I am not "self-employed"

My family member's lawyer just gave us a list of documents required by the embassy in Greece for i-134 forms. This list INCLUDES the tax returns. Can an embassy really request documents beyond what is specified in the instructions? Maybe this is the lawyer's misinterpretation? Has anyone interviewed and submitted an i-134 that did not include income tax returns?

Thanks,

Albaeagle

The instructions cover people who are employed and self employed. An employed person would most likely submit W2 and not tax returned - whereas a self employed person would submit tax returns. You provide only what is appropriate for your circumstances...

The instructions cover people who are employed and self employed. An employed person would most likely submit W2 and not tax returned - whereas a self employed person would submit tax returns. You provide only what is appropriate for your circumstances...

Thanks for your reply.

That's the confusing part. In the Instructions, part B states "statement from your employer on business stationary showing....", I included this in the form of an official letter with the information that this part requests, but it's not a W-2. I just wish that they gave clearer instructions that did not leave room for interpretation... :/

Thanks for your reply.

That's the confusing part. In the Instructions, part B states "statement from your employer on business stationary showing....", I included this in the form of an official letter with the information that this part requests, but it's not a W-2. I just wish that they gave clearer instructions that did not leave room for interpretation... :/

You are overthinking it - massively. Just include a W2, payslips if you like and a bank statement - whatever you feel demonstrates you ability to support your family member. The I134 is not legally enforceable - so the instructions can be seen as guidelines...

Thanks Britsimon.

I have gotten more inconsistent information from friends about the I-134, so much so that I emailed the Embassy for clarification.

Here are the latest rumors that i'm hoping someone can debunk for me:

1. I was told that I need to submit a separate i-134 form for the beneficiary, and another one for the dependent that they are bringing. I'm pretty sure I only need one, since the I-134 clearly asks for dependents right on the form, so a single form should cover it.

2. I was told that, aside from the i-134 that I submit for the beneficiary, my wife also need to submit a separate i-134 for them and their dependent. (That would make a total for 4 I-134's. Me submitting for beneficiary and dependent, and my Wife submitting for the beneficiary and dependent). This just doesn't sound right, why would my wife be involved if I am the sponsor? Do we both really need to sponsor if I can show enough income on my own (wife works part-time)?

3. I was told that I need to include my wife's Tax information, W2's, copy of her passport, copy of her Greencard/Resident Card, and maybe even a Marriage Certificate with the I-134. Again I don't know how any of this would apply since I am the sponsor.

Any input would be more than helpful!

Thanks

Albaeagle

Thanks Britsimon.

I have gotten more inconsistent information from friends about the I-134, so much so that I emailed the Embassy for clarification.

Here are the latest rumors that i'm hoping someone can debunk for me:

1. I was told that I need to submit a separate i-134 form for the beneficiary, and another one for the dependent that they are bringing. I'm pretty sure I only need one, since the I-134 clearly asks for dependents right on the form, so a single form should cover it.

2. I was told that, aside from the i-134 that I submit for the beneficiary, my wife also need to submit a separate i-134 for them and their dependent. (That would make a total for 4 I-134's. Me submitting for beneficiary and dependent, and my Wife submitting for the beneficiary and dependent). This just doesn't sound right, why would my wife be involved if I am the sponsor? Do we both really need to sponsor if I can show enough income on my own (wife works part-time)?

3. I was told that I need to include my wife's Tax information, W2's, copy of her passport, copy of her Greencard/Resident Card, and maybe even a Marriage Certificate with the I-134. Again I don't know how any of this would apply since I am the sponsor.

Any input would be more than helpful!

Thanks

Albaeagle

1. That is not correct. You only need one - for the main selectee.

2. That is not correct. Your income needs to cover your whole family and the beneficiary plus his/her family.

3. You do not need that.

As I said before you are overthinking this. The I134 is not a magic bullet, and not something that will guarantee success. It is weighed up by the CO and they will take into account your finances, your connection to the beneficiary and so on. People are approved every day without I134s and even with a perfect I134 they could still deny the case. So - I appreciate you are trying to make it as good as possible, but looking to get over some standard that you have heard about from mates is pointless because it just isn't that sort of document.

So I got a reply back from the embassy. It pretty much verifies what I though and what Britsimon confirmed. They expect you to stick to the instructions and do not require anything more, unless you want to provide it voluntarily I guess. Here's what I got back...

Also, no second i-134 required from the sponsors spouse.

"In response to your recent e-mail inquiry we would like to inform you that you that in order to complete the I-134 form you must only follow the I-134 instructions as you have done."

Thanks again Britsimon,

Albaeagle