Landing from within Canada, no US Visa though

zgmfx20a

Hello all,

My girlfriend has received her landing papers and just need to go through the landing process. She is currently residing in Vancouver, BC on a student Visa but has no US Visa.

I was wondering what the process would be like for "landing" from within Canada since it says that she needs to leave Canada and re-enter. Does she have to enter the US? Or does she have to tell the US officials that she's just "landing" and not actually trying to enter the US? Would she be questioned heavily? How would it work if we don't have a car (we plan to taxi it)?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

My girlfriend has received her landing papers and just need to go through the landing process. She is currently residing in Vancouver, BC on a student Visa but has no US Visa.

I was wondering what the process would be like for "landing" from within Canada since it says that she needs to leave Canada and re-enter. Does she have to enter the US? Or does she have to tell the US officials that she's just "landing" and not actually trying to enter the US? Would she be questioned heavily? How would it work if we don't have a car (we plan to taxi it)?

Thanks for your help.

Just go to the border and enter Canada Immigration office. They will direct her regarding what is to be done. It is easy - no big deal. She just have to cross Cdn border (without proceeding to the US post) and turn back.

well we went to the border today. We went into the Canadian Immigration Office and was told by this officer that we needed to go to the US office and get a slip of paper that said my girlfriend tried to enter the U.S. but was refused before the landing could be done. So we walked to the US office, told the officers what we needed, let them look at the documents and got the piece of paper.
We then headed back to the Canadian office and gave them the documents, waited for around 5 minutes as the officer checked the stuff. He then asked my girlfriend some questions, she initialed and signed the landing papers and that was it. In the end we had to go to the US office but it was pretty simple and straight-forward. The trip down to the border took more time than the actual landing hehe.

Immigration matters like this where one is required to re-enter the country are so weird. Anyone know why this is a rule? Of course, it's common practice in most countries (except the US, right?), but why subject people to that? As if it's so difficult just to adjust status within the country. Idiots.

For a country like Canada where 80% of the population lives less than 2 hours away from the US border, I do not think it is too stringent a requirement. To earn the privilege of permanent residence, I do not think it is too tough a price to pay.

As if it's so difficult just to adjust status within the country. Idiots.

What would happen if someone got the two residencies of US and Cananda almost at the same time?? For US is through winning a lottery.

It is perfectly legal. The question is, can you make two countries your permanent home simultaneously and maintain residency requirments for both?

I appreciate your replies. I know it is kind hard to do that but my arguements is that like Canada as long as you enter within 3years residency is valid. For US as long as your are not away more than 6-12months your GC is valid. So if someone looked at it for making entries on the time period and become a citizen of one like Canada first because it takes only 3years and then move to US to be a citizen after 5years would that work??

Canada = Physical presence of 2 years out of every 5 years (does not maintain residency for naturalisation purposes)

USA = More than half the period physically present in the US

Are you ready to file taxes as "resident" in both countries? Which state/province DL will you carry? Were do you intend to work?

Good luck!!!

I know it is kind hard to do that but my arguements is that like Canada as long as you enter within 3years residency is valid. For US as long as your are not away more than 6-12months your GC is valid. So if someone looked at it for making entries on the time period and become a citizen of one like Canada first because it takes only 3years and then move to US to be a citizen after 5years would that work??

Canada = Physical presence of 2 years out of every 5 years (does not maintain residency for naturalisation purposes)

USA = More than half the period physically present in the US

Are you ready to file taxes as "resident" in both countries? Which state/province DL will you carry? Were do you intend to work?

Good luck!!!
Thanks again for your replies. What do you mean more than half the period in US.. How do you calculate that?? i intend to carry Minnesota DL and maybe Vancouver... Not yet sure about Canada.. For USA am familiar i lived there for over 10years. I intend to work in Canada. Any advise??