• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Landing first time in USA?

Once you get a green card, everyone's equal and all rules are the same. Read up on (google, I'm too lazy to right now :D) uscis rights and responsibilities of green card holders. You can stay out the US a maximum of 12 months as a green card holder. If you come back in after 11 months, you can certainly expect some questioning, but you'll be fine - just make sure you can demonstrate that you're really coming back for good (e.g. be coming in on a one way ticket, have your taxes filed, etc).

I was thinking a few days ago, perhaps I should file an return-permit while i´m over, just to be safe? - I do know I have to complete the form in USA, also that I can pick it up at the embassy here in sweden.
The main reason why I need to be absent for 11 months is to finish my studies at university.
Question is : Do me and my wife need to fill a return-permit each, or is it enough that I do it? Would "work" be a valid reason - For her part?

I was thinking a few days ago, perhaps I should file an return-permit while i´m over, just to be safe? - I do know I have to complete the form in USA, also that I can pick it up at the embassy here in sweden.
The main reason why I need to be absent for 11 months is to finish my studies at university.
Question is : Do me and my wife need to fill a return-permit each, or is it enough that I do it? Would "work" be a valid reason - For her part?

You each have to do it.
You need a few weeks probably depending on your field office - to file the notice then do biometrics. That all has to be done in the US.
considering that living and working elsewhere can be seen as evidence you have abandoned residency (google USCIS pages on rights and responsibilities of a green card holder) I personally would be reluctant to put "work” down as the reason. But with 11 months you don't need a permit, if there's a risk in going longer then yes you should get one.

We land (me and wife and 2 chiled 1 infant) in washington Dulles airport, "IAD" we move to the lane after I informed them we are immegrant, the officer took from me all the envelopes, and took all the paper which inside and then make finger print for me and the wife, then thats it, no immegration office no immigration lines , she stamped on our passports then we gone to take our Luggage.

We land (me and wife and 2 chiled 1 infant) in washington Dulles airport, "IAD" we move to the lane after I informed them we are immegrant, the officer took from me all the envelopes, and took all the paper which inside and then make finger print for me and the wife, then thats it, no immegration office no immigration lines , she stamped on our passports then we gone to take our Luggage.

Lucky!!!

You can start looking for jobs without a SSN. You just won't get paid without an SSN. But you can look.

You also don't need the GCs to look for work. The stamp in your passport is sufficient.

Have you tried explaining to them your situation? showing the sticker page of your I 551 with a stamp on it should have been enough. and say SSN is on the way.

Some companies need the SSN to check via everify before they can hire people. Hopefully it won't take much longer to arrive.
Or, wadsitty, I have heard of cases where people have been able to get their actual SSN number from a SSA office while they are waiting for the card to arrive - you can possibly try this?

Some companies need the SSN to check via everify before they can hire people. Hopefully it won't take much longer to arrive.
Or, wadsitty, I have heard of cases where people have been able to get their actual SSN number from a SSA office while they are waiting for the card to arrive - you can possibly try this?

That's not true. An employer should not be everifying anyone prior to the accepted offer of employment (and completion of the I9). In practice this often means everify happens after work has started - and that's OK - the system allows for that. They are actually NOT allowed to pre-screen job hunters via everify.

That's not true. An employer should not be everifying anyone prior to the accepted offer of employment (and completion of the I9). In practice this often means everify happens after work has started - and that's OK - the system allows for that. They are actually NOT allowed to pre-screen job hunters via everify.

OK, then let me rephrase that to "some companies claim to need ...." Or maybe it's not everify but I have heard a number of people say that the SSN is required before they can be made a formal job offer.
We all know what should happen and what does happen, especially with respect to hiring non-citizens, is not the same thing.

Hi there, sorry if I'm gatecrashing this thread (just let me know if there's a better way/place of posting a question). I'm a DV2017 selectee, have been told by the US consulate that I'll get a visa, and am grateful for it. However, it's likely I'll only be able to move to the US to live next year. I know I need to make my first trip and activate the visa within the six month period but would like to choose a port of entry that's cheaper/easier for me to reach for that short, initial visit.

If I plan to ultimately live in continental/mainland USA, is it still okay to fly into a place like Honolulu to activate the visa? Then fly into mainland USA next year when I move? Or does it look bad / like I'm just using it for US holidays if I do that? Would rather not cause problems for myself on my return to the States in mid-2018.

I guess I'm also wondering if there are any ports of entry that have a reputation for being unduly difficult?

Any advice gratefully received - thanks!

Hi there, sorry if I'm gatecrashing this thread (just let me know if there's a better way/place of posting a question). I'm a DV2017 selectee, have been told by the US consulate that I'll get a visa, and am grateful for it. However, it's likely I'll only be able to move to the US to live next year. I know I need to make my first trip and activate the visa within the six month period but would like to choose a port of entry that's cheaper/easier for me to reach for that short, initial visit.

If I plan to ultimately live in continental/mainland USA, is it still okay to fly into a place like Honolulu to activate the visa? Then fly into mainland USA next year when I move? Or does it look bad / like I'm just using it for US holidays if I do that? Would rather not cause problems for myself on my return to the States in mid-2018.

I guess I'm also wondering if there are any ports of entry that have a reputation for being unduly difficult?

have you received your I 551 sticker on your passport?

It wont matter what port you chose, they wont question your visit as you are an LPR from that point onward (you wont get questioned how long your stay will be, and will be staying at what address - i did not get that questions at all). So any port of entry in the USA is fine.

If after activating your LPR (GC), you are leaving the USA for more than 1 year, you should apply for Re-entry permit I 131. For less that 1 year, generally it will be fine.

Yes you can make your first POE through Hawaii regardless of which city/State you plan on settling in eventually.

have you received your I 551 sticker on your passport?

What the OP will be getting on their passport upon approval is an IV which only becomes a temporary I-551 (a temporary GC) upon endorsement at the POE.

Let's make sure we're using the correct terminology when answering questions to avoid creating unnecessary confusion in peoples minds as they read.

What the OP will be getting on their passport upon approval is a NIV which only becomes a temporary I-551 (a temporary GC) upon endorsement at the POE.

Let's make sure we're using the correct terminology when answering questions to avoid creating unnecessary confusion in peoples minds as they read.

Thank you for the info @Sm1smom . I was not sure what that sticker is called as on it, it is written IMMIGRANT VISA with issuance date and expiration date along with the text "UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR.”

and if you google that, you will get this USCIS link

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/temporary-i-551-stamps-and-mrivs

So i've been caling it I 551 sticker since (as it is a sticker and it says once stamped it will be considered as I 551). But will correct my terminologies onward.

Thank you for the info @Sm1smom . I was not sure what that sticker is called as on it, it is written IMMIGRANT VISA with issuance date and expiration date along with the text "UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR.”

So i've been caling it I 551 sticker since (as it is a sticker and it says once stamped it will be considered as I 551). But will correct my terminologies onward.

It's not an I551 sticker until it is stamped, and that only happens when you enter the US. Until then it is only a visa.

I know what the tiny print on the visa says and what's written on USCIS's website also. When the embassy issues what you refer to as a sticker, it is nothing but an immigrant visa (IV). It only becomes an I-551 upon endorsement - the endorsement only happens after admission into the US as a LPR. It cannot and shouldn't be referred to as an I-551 until the endorsement process happens, it remains just a visa until then.