Landing experience

akilhere

Registered Users (C)
We landed in canada on saturday thru peace bridge. Didn't have any problems with the immigration. She asked for my bank statement. It took around 15 mins for the immig. process. We then went to the customs where I had a small problem since I had not given the serial nos of the electronic goods that I was carrying. PLEASE DO MENTION THE SERIAL NOS OF THE ELECTRONIC GOODS WHEN YOU THE MAKE THE "ITEMS TO FOLLOW LIST". However, the customs officer was kind enough to let us go with it. The entire process took around 25-30 mins. We then drove to Niagra falls and then to toronto. It's quite a wonderful place.
While returning, she just checked my passport for the visa and the I-94 card and then let us in. She also asked us if we carried any agricultural or farm products.
It was quite a wonderful trip for us.

Thanks to all the fellas (especially Avtaar) who helped us with our questions. Btw, Ray, I stayed at the place(skybusiness.com/sunny) that you had mentioned in your earlier messages. It was quite good. Thanks.

Did you apply for PR card

Did you apply for PR card? How long it will take to get that? We did land thro' rainbow bridge in July 2nd week but PR card is not yet received. The 800 # does not work from here. However the imm. officer told me that it would take 4 wks to mailed. Its already more than 6 wks. In IMM1000, officer has stamped as "Not valid for Travel". So we need PR card to re-enter Canada. What did the officer told you regarding the time reqd. to get PR Card/

They told me that it would take 3-4 weeks for the PR card. But, in your case it's already 6 weeks. But there could be some delays in processing the PR card. Do keep me updated about it as I too might have to face the same situation. Did you fax your enquiry to the NY or Buffalo office?
Please do let me know.
Thanks,

Nice to hear that Akilhere. But when you went out of Canada did they record on IMM 1000 your departure date? If not,
will they allow you to re-enter Canada if you get your PR card sitting in USA and use it for re-entering?

Dear Aki,
Congratulations!!!
Please share the info for others who want to land:
1 Have you provided Photographs for PR Card or they took the photographs at POE
2 When you did not mention serial# of some items on your goods to follow list, did they stamp the list?
Did they write with RED ink that serial # were not provided for few items on your goods to follow list?

3 did you provided any friend/relative address in Canada for PR card? If Yes, did they ask you if you will be staying on this address for how much time or no questions.

4 Did they stamp your Landing paper " Not Valid for travel"?

Did they write on your Landing paper with red ink "Goods to Follow" or just they gave you stamped list and a Form signed by them, that should have your Signature also( it is a copy made by them)
5 when was your landing document issued to you, I am just asking if it was issued before 28th June 2002 or after that.

FYI even if you have your IMM 1000 Stamped "not valid for travel" it only means that you can not take, Bus, train, Flight but still you can go to canada in Friends car, you can land by air at Buffalo and can take the taxi and cross the POE

All dian bestan!!

Thanks Avtaar,
Actually, no photos were needed since I already had a supplementary form with a photo attached to it.
In the items to follow list, he just circled the items and asked me to prove proof of ownership like receipts or model release years (like 2001 model dvd player etc). He asked me for the model of all those electronic items
They did ask me about my duration of stay there. I told them that I've just come here for landing, so I'll be returning back soon and will return back in 2 months. They didn't say anything.
Yes, they stamped my paper as "Not Valid for Travel"
They did not mark anything in red. My landing paper was issued after 28th June

Thanks for your help, Avtaar.

Avtaar and Akilhere, I want to land in Canada.

Hi,

I have received my landing papers for Canada last week. In 15
days, We(Me, wife and daughter) are planning to land in Canada.

So, what should be with me beside landing papers and bank statement ?

Do I need to show them Canadian $14000 cash in hand while landind ?? (I can show them USD 10000) in bank account, and I have car papers(fully paid off).

Well, We(me and wife) have received USA Green card 2 months back. My daughter is US citizen.

What care I should take while landing in Canada???

I am planning to go through Detroit, may be ambasador bridge OR you can show me better way to enter in Canada.

I visited Canada twice in past on visitor visa.

Thanks,

vsshah.

Hi,

I have received my landing papers for Canada last week. In 15
days, We(Me, wife and daughter) are planning to land in Canada.

So, what should be with me beside landing papers and bank statement ?

Do I need to show them Canadian $14000 cash in hand while landind ?? (I can show them USD 10000) in bank account, and I have car papers(fully paid off).
***If you are landing from US then keep the recent 2-3 Months Bank statements with you and show the froof of funds you do not need any cash to show
Well, We(me and wife) have received USA Green card 2 months back. My daughter is US citizen.
*** If you have recieved your GC of US then why you want to land in Canada? In future you have to leave US GC or Canada PR you can not keep both of them .

What care I should take while landing in Canada???
They may see a US GC stamp on your Passport ( that was stamped before you recieved your GC card) and ask you" do you want to abondon your US Gc or Permanent residence in US?
you should have an answer for that.
According to me you should say that you want to first land and then decide if you want to keep US GC

What will you do with 2 Permanent residence and how you are going to maintain it, you have to think about it and same can happen when you enter US from Canada INS will note your Canada immigration Stamp and be ready to face them, becaue you will be having Pr of Canada at that time and INS can take you to Secondery inspection and ask you about Gc and Canada PR matter , you know these days US INS can be nasty

I am planning to go through Detroit, may be ambasador bridge OR you can show me better way to enter in Canada.

Best option will be by AIR because of rush and many flights landing they may not care about US GC, I hope that other friends who have US Gc and Canada PR can help you
Good Luck!!

Hi Akilhere

Why did they stamp your landing papers as not valid for travel? What does that mean?

Is there a preferred format of list to show the customs?

I am planning to travel on sunday. Is it okay? i will reach there at night.

Which bridge is preferable to cross?

If I carry TV VCR etc, Do I have to show them proof of purchase and serial number? What if I dont have the proof of purchase?

Thanks

Vishwanand

Why did they stamp your landing papers as not valid for travel? What does that mean?
* If you land after June28 2002, they have to stamp your landing document " not valid for travel" it is law, the meaning is that you can not board AIR, BUS, for entring to Canada but you can cross border in Car
Is there a preferred format of list to show the customs?

ITEM COST
1. TV SONY {Make} Serial # XXXXXX $ 120( if you write USD tell them to Convert in CDN when they make the total)
2. Books 1200 USD
3. Sofa 200
I am planning to travel on sunday. Is it okay? i will reach there at night.
** it is OK
Which bridge is preferable to cross?
**You can go by any.
If I carry TV VCR etc, Do I have to show them proof of purchase and serial number? What if I dont have the proof of purchase?

**Just right the Serial # and Make on GOODS with you or Goods to Follow list, they dont ask the proof of purchage and nobody keeps the reciepts they are only concerned that they belong to you before you land as PR of Canada.

Please post your Landing Exp, searching for job and any other info for others once you land.

Good Luck to you!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Avataar I have another question

So if they stamp "Not valid for Travel" on the document then I can not travel EVER by AIR or bus to Canada? Why do they do it? Also the immigration work like sin card pr card health insurance etcc.. Can we do it on Sunday or are the offices closed. I got the papers (one set for each of us) saying these are the immigration visas. I dont have to do any thing other than entering the country from an immigration point of view right? There are no other steps i have to take right?

Thanks Again

Vishwanand