K1 visa: what are the steps in between?

Sid1234

Registered Users (C)
To get a K1 for my Indian fiancee, the gov website (http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2994.html#Filing) says that I have to file I-129F, then its forwarded to NVC, then to an embassy/consulate in India. Later it mentions that I have to file I-134 (affidavit of support), but doesn't say at what point I file it. Can someone please fill me in? What happens after I submit I-129? Will I not hear back from them.. will it just know that they got my application when my fiancee gets an appointment at the embassy/consulate? Please fill in the following time line..
1. I submit I-129
?. Fiancee comes to USA

Grrrr- just wrote a reply and it got lost- ok, hereI go again :rolleyes:

1- send I-129F along with required supporting documents (G325A, proof of having met in past 2 years etc).
2- Receive NOA1 (a receipt to acknowledge that your petition has been received).
3- Receive NOA2 (a receipt to let you know that your petition has been approved).
4- Petition is sent to NVC.
5- NVC forward the petition to the appropriate foreign consulate/embassy.
6- Fiance receives letter about date of interview and medical instructions.
7- Fiance has a successful medical and a successful interview.
8- Fiance receives K1 visa in passport.
9- Fiance enters the US before K1 expiry (6 months).
10- You and fiance marry within 90 days of K1 entry.

Then you have the joys of AOS :D

You mean the I-134????

I'd written this in my previous reply before it all got messed up, and accidentally left it out of my last post.

I-134 is taken to the consulate/embassy by your fiance and presented to the officer during the interview (or as in the UK- to a different officer right before they are called up for the actual interview)......so step 6.

Here is the list of what to include in the initial petition.

1. Payment as required by USCIS. Use a personal check so you can track the payment. Money Orders are also accepted.
2. Cover Letter (see example). Should include a description of what your are petitioning for (I-129F), a table of contents (list everything in the packet). If you need additional room to explain your case, attach a separate sheet (list the attachment on the cover sheet). Make sure to sign and date the cover sheet.
3. Form I-129F: Petition for Alien Fiance(e) (see example)
4. Declaration of how you met in person in the last two years. This should be a single typed page attachment regarding question 18 of the I-129F. Make sure to sign and date it.
5. Original statements (from both the US Citizen and foreign fiance) certifying an intent to marry within 90 days of entering the US on a valid K-1. (see example)
6. Proof of having met in past two years. (click here for examples)
7. G-325A filled out by the US Citizen signed and dated (see example).
8. One passport-type photo (see specification) of the US Citizen. Write the full name of the US citizen on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of <Insert US Citizen's Name>". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a.
9. G-325A filled out by the foreign fiance(e) signed and dated (see example).
10. One passport-type photo (see specification) of the foreign fiance(e). Write the full name of the foreign fiance(e) on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of (insert foreign fiance(e) name) ". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a.
11. Copy of the Birth certificate (front and back) for the US Citizen or a copy of ALL pages of the US Citizen's passport issued with a validity of at least 5 years or a copy of the US Citizen's naturalization certificate (front and back). This is used to establish citizenship.
12. Copy of final Divorce Decree(s) or Certificate(s) for the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance(e) if either has been previously married. If the previous marriage of the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance(e) ended due to the death of their spouse then include a Copy of Death Certificate(s) documenting that fact.
13. Proof of Legal Name Change if either the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance(e) is using a name other than that shown on the relevant documents. You must give USCIS copies of the legal documents that made the change, such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree or court order.
14. In regards to Section C Question 2, if applicable provide certified copies of all court and police records showing the charges and dispositions for any specified conviction(s) (in accordance with the IMBRA). See section 9 of the I-129f instructions for more information.

Hi there

Me and my US Fiance just got engaged. We are on the 1st step of applying for a K1 visa.

1.) I was wodering do you have any idea how long is going to take the whole process?
2.) And how much are going to cost all the fees. I know that there is a fee for I-129F form $455 + around $550 for medicals = $1 000. Is there any other charges before u get ur K1 visa approve?
3.) Also do I have to attach original passport photos of me with the form I -129 F or I have to send them in a later stage?
4.) If I have never been convicted do I have to send a Police Clearance with the I -129 Form ?

thanks a lot for your help in advance.
Cheers
Kami

It's me again .
Hi elcupacabras. Where can I find a samples for al the documents that u r talking about ?

1) Anywhere between 6-12 months....though could be longer/shorter. Each case is different so its hard to predict just how long/quick yours will be.
2) You'll also need to pay for the visa application at the embassy (currently $131, though there have been rumours that this is going to be raised significantly)....cost of police certificates for foreign fiance....cost of travelling to embassy/consulate......cost of courier service (depending on country) for passport with visa in it to be delivered to your fiance.
3) The current consensus is for both foreign fiance and US citizen to attach 2 original passport photos to the petition.
4) If you are the US citizen then you do no need a police check.

Examples of the forms and a step by step guide can be found through this link:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=k1guide

"6- Fiance receives letter about date of interview and medical instructions.
7- Fiance has a successful medical and a successful interview.
8- Fiance receives K1 visa in passport.
10- You and fiance marry within 90 days of K1 entry."

Hi,
I thought the K1 was issued for 4 months. Or is it 6 months from the date of issue at the foreign consulate? And 4 months from the time on actually enters the US?

Just curious since I am playing with dates for the social, religious marriage ceremony in India etc. Thanks.
akash

10- You and fiance marry within 90 days of K1 entry.
"

Hi,
I thought the K1 was issued for 4 months. Or is it 6 months from the date of issue at the foreign consulate? And 4 months from the time on actually enters the US?

Just curious since I am playing with dates for the social, religious marriage ceremony in India etc. Thanks.
akash

The times that I have highlighted are correct. (visa valid for 6 months since issuance so you must enter the US within those 6 months, and marriage must take place within 90 days of US entry).
Oh- and you're welcome for the advice I gave you on your previous thread.

The I-129F petition approval is valid for 4 months. K-1 visa is valid for 6 months and entry is given for 90 days.

akash

Last edited by a moderator:
not intimated to NVC?

Hello Guys !!

What should one do if USICS has sent NOA2 but NVC has no intimation about it??
How can it be followed up to make things faster as ur 4 months time starts ticking the day USICS approves it..

Please suggest.

Reagrds
mg

oh thanks very much Triple Citizen...

But when we call NVC they say they dont know yet..and USCIS says they will intimate NVC !!!
so where have we landed???? how long does it take the information to reach NVC from USCIS?

thank you so much :) ...cn u please throw some insight on police cleareance thhread..of mine.

oh triple ctiizen,

I have one imp ques..

I am currently residing in Bangalore and passport is from Calcultta!!! Is it OK to apply in New Delhi consulate :))

complicated??? :)))

Not an issue. Some US consualtes do not issue K-1 visas. There are 9 or 10 US consulates in Canada, only 2 issue K-1 visas for example.

I am currently residing in Bangalore and passport is from Calcultta!!! Is it OK to apply in New Delhi consulate :))

complicated??? :)))