k1 questions

junebug

Registered Users (C)
Hi. I am a 25 year old from N. Ireland and have been seeing a 20 year old US girl for about 2 years now. I have visited the US 3 times now, the most recent being a 2 and half month stay and she has visited Ireland twice. We are now thinking of filing for a K1 visa and we have a few questions. Our main concern is that since I have left school at age 18 I have not had any job history. I have not had any benefits from the government either so I have no tax history or 'paper trail'. I live at home and have never really had any need for money and have always got by. I have visted my girlfriend in the US on money I have saved from birthdays and Christmas money and help from family. I will soon be starting a tax paying job but my girlfriend and I wondered would this be a problem when trying to get a k1? She has had summer jobs and is starting collage in August and we realise that her mum would have to sign off as a sponser for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your lack of employment history plays no part in your K-1 pursuit.

Our main concern is that since I have left school at age 18 I have not had any job history. I have not had any benefits from the government either so I have no tax history or 'paper trail'. I live at home and have never really had any need for money and have always got by.

Your lack of employment history plays no part in your K-1 pursuit.

Thats good to hear but if you don't mind me asking what are you basing your response on? I only say this because on the downloadable forms one of the questions on it is to state your employment history in the last 10 years...

Anyone else shed any light on my queries?

Acquired knowledge and personal experience.
I immigrated to the US on a K-1 visa and I know for a fact that a beneficiary's lack of employment history will not be a show stopper on its own.

Thats good to hear but if you don't mind me asking what are you basing your response on?

What Triple Citizen has already stated is not an opinion....it is fact.

Your lack of employment history on its own will not have any bearing on the outcome of a K1 visa's success.

Ok I met with an immigration lawyer and he said that lack of employment would cause them to look unfavourably on me...

What factors cause them to deny a k1?

I really hope you are not paying this incompetent lawyer!!!

no lol but i have a few more questions.

Won't they be suspicious of my lack of employment since I left school?

Also, what are our options if we are denied a k1? Does that mean I can't go back to the USA ON A vwp?

thanks

Well, its a very big situation in my life so I worry about everything. I'm afraid that they might think its suspicious that I hav'nt worked for 6 years since I left school or haven't drawn any benefits. Of the top of my head they could think I'm guilty of tax evasion for one thing, this could cause a denial.

I have also heard that if your denied it takes six years to try and get another one and you can't visit on a VWP again.

Any advice?

im sorry.

Its just I recently came back from a 2 and half month trip with my girl and the thought of this process and getting denied sickens me.

We are greatly worried because we have researched it a great deal on these forums and others and we saw that a visa can be denied if the person is believed to have committed a crime of moral turpitude or missrepresentation. We thought perhaps that by me never having a job and therefore no tax returns or history we could be under suspicion.

I mean, you have to convince them you are in a relationship but surely they run thorough background checks and they could be suspicious about this.

They will definetly check, but as long as you are sure you haven't done any manipulation, why should you be worried. But if you have done some tricks or manipulations there is a big risk for sure.

No, no manipulation. However, I am applying for a job now and on my applications I am kinda fabricating some job history as its not easy getting a job without one but would they be able to check with an employer if I was to be employed what I have put down as my job history??