K-3 question

jasonbz99

Registered Users (C)
My wife and I married in casablanca and intend to apply for the K-3 visa and understand that it will take 12 months to complete processing. Can we apply for a B visa prior to the K3 and bring here to the usa as a visitor so that we are not separated for so long. We understand that she will have to return to morocco for her interview but would like the B visitor visa to shorten the time we are separated. Will getting the B visa cause any difficulty or complication with the K3?
Thanks

Yes, she can apply for a B-2 visa. However being the spouse of a US citizen, her chances of obtaining a B-2 visa are not high.

Can we apply for a B visa prior to the K3 and bring here to the usa as a visitor so that we are not separated for so long.

Thanks for the info. Since we will be going straight for the K3 I did have a couple other questions.
1. If I understand the process correctly they will request the I134 first and then the I864 after she is in country. Is that correct and what documentation is required with the I134?
2. I know that tax returns are required with the I864, do they go by the gross amount showing on the W2's for income, or the net amount that I receive after taxes are withdrawn to establish my amount of income?
Thanks

Thanks for the info. Since we will be going straight for the K3 I did have a couple other questions.
1. If I understand the process correctly they will request the I134 first and then the I864 after she is in country. Is that correct and what documentation is required with the I134?

Yes- They request the I-134 when the package has reached the consulate and your spouse is ready for interview.
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=k3guide
Use this guide for further information about what you need to include with it (scroll down to the bottom specifically for the I-134 part).

I know that tax returns are required with the I864, do they go by the gross amount showing on the W2's for income, or the net amount that I receive after taxes are withdrawn to establish my amount of income?
I believe its the amount pre-tax.

Thanks again. I have copies of my W2's and tax returns for each of the last 3 years but in order to prevent any delays should I order transcripts from the IRS or will my copies be sufficient?

Confused

Thanks again. I have copies of my W2's and tax returns for each of the last 3 years but in order to prevent any delays should I order transcripts from the IRS or will my copies be sufficient?

I was checking the processing time, it shows 5 months for I130 to be approved...same for k-3, why pay the extra fees...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the processing time for CA..

I-129F Petition for Alien Fiance(e) K-1/K-2 - Not yet married - fiance and/or dependent child 5 Months
I-129F Petition for Alien Fiance(e) K-3/K-4 - Already married - spouse and/or dependent child 5 Months
I-130 Petition for Alien Relative U.S. citizen filing for a spouse, parent, or child under 21 5 Months

Thanks again, and yes I am sticking with the I-130 but I am just trying to prepare for the request for the I-134. In reading the instructions for the I-134 it says that I need to present evidence from my financial institutions regarding date accounts opened, total amount deposited last year, and current balance of account. I must also present a statement from my employer. Can I also include W2's and tax returns, since my bank account does not show much money in it?

Thanks again, and yes I am sticking with the I-130 but I am just trying to prepare for the request for the I-134. In reading the instructions for the I-134 it says that I need to present evidence from my financial institutions regarding date accounts opened, total amount deposited last year, and current balance of account. I must also present a statement from my employer. Can I also include W2's and tax returns, since my bank account does not show much money in it?

Hey man,
I am in a similar situation as you are and am planning to file I-130/129-F for my wife and was wondering how far along are you in your process? It's my understanding that it takes 5 months to process K3. Any update you can provide will be appreciated.

-Vik

Getting There

Received confirmation of I130 on january 7 and confirmation of receipt of I129F on Jan 20. Had a long wait with no word at all until april 13 when we got word that both were approved. they then sent a choice of agent form by email and we sent that in, and then they sent a request for payment of visa fees. did that also and now waiting until payment clears on tuesday or wednesday for next set of instructions. since they are now sending things by email it is going much quicker and hopefully soon it will be time for medical and interview at the consulate.

Thanks Jason, I appreciate the update. I did file for my wife in April and based on your timeline, it might just get approved in another 2-4 weeks. Can you provide details of where it stands right now for your wife? Did she get in the country on her K3 or did US Consulate toss that away considering I130 was approved and that she had to do her GC processing outside US? I would really appreciate details of timeline and what happened. I am hoping she is all set now as it's been three months since you guys had your 130/129F approved.

-Vik

Received confirmation of I130 on january 7 and confirmation of receipt of I129F on Jan 20. Had a long wait with no word at all until april 13 when we got word that both were approved. they then sent a choice of agent form by email and we sent that in, and then they sent a request for payment of visa fees. did that also and now waiting until payment clears on tuesday or wednesday for next set of instructions. since they are now sending things by email it is going much quicker and hopefully soon it will be time for medical and interview at the consulate.

We did not receive anything from NVC for weeks after the approval so I called to check the status and mysteriously the next day the appointment for interview was scheduled for July 21 at Casablanca Embassy. So we have a couple of days to wait until the interview and I will let you know how it goes.

Just a little correction needed. The US embassy is in Rabat. In Casablanca, it is the US consulate you are dealing with :)

so I called to check the status and mysteriously the next day the appointment for interview was scheduled for July 21 at Casablanca Embassy.

Thanks man. That would be a huge help. I would have expected NVC to have sent some kind of letter informing you guys of the documentation to prepare and take with you. I had heard that they give about a month's advance notice so the intending immigrant can prepare all the documents. Anyhow, I am looking forward to the details and Good look with the Interview process.
We did not receive anything from NVC for weeks after the approval so I called to check the status and mysteriously the next day the appointment for interview was scheduled for July 21 at Casablanca Embassy. So we have a couple of days to wait until the interview and I will let you know how it goes.

Wife had interview today at Casablanca Embassy. Asked the usual questions. Gave her a green piece of paper with a number on it, kept her passport, and said to come back on Friday at 3pm for the visa. :) Took a long time, but well worth it. Will let you know how it goes.

That's great news. Congrats. My questions start at this point :)
- I understand that K3 petition(I-129F) and I-130 petition were approved just about the same time, right?
- If yes, did they dismiss K3 Visa processing as the rules suggest and that your wife had no option but to go for Immigrant Visa at Casablanca? The rules say if I-130 is approved at the same time when I-129F is approved, NVC will close I-129F and go directly for Immigrant Visa.

And I am looking forward to Friday's outcome. GoodLuck!

Wife had interview today at Casablanca Embassy. Asked the usual questions. Gave her a green piece of paper with a number on it, kept her passport, and said to come back on Friday at 3pm for the visa. :) Took a long time, but well worth it. Will let you know how it goes.

Hey There,
I was hoping you would post something on your experience of the Interview. Did everything go well? I really hope they did. I would appreciate if you could share something.

Thanks!

Thanks man. That would be a huge help. I would have expected NVC to have sent some kind of letter informing you guys of the documentation to prepare and take with you. I had heard that they give about a month's advance notice so the intending immigrant can prepare all the documents. Anyhow, I am looking forward to the details and Good look with the Interview process.

To avoid any delay in the implementation of the K3 visa process the USCIS decided to use the I-129F, Fiance Petition, to process K-3 visa applications.