K-1 Visa timeline

evilkayak

Registered Users (C)
Can anyone share their K-1/Fiance visa timeline?

I am a US Citizen and have been engaged to my Fiance (Indian) in Nov 2008. I applied for her Fiance Visa in December 2008. When should I expect her Visa call, etc?

You should expect the petition to be approved on the US side within 6 months of receiving the receipt notice (NOA1). If after 6 months you havent yet been approved, then is the time to start making phone calls. Anything before then, and you are within the average processing times.

Once it has been approved, the petition will then be sent to NVC. Expect it to be here for around 3 weeks. Could be longer though or could be less.

From this point it is sent to the interviewing consulate. The consulate will then send your fiance packet 3 which will include the interview checklist, medical info etc. Expect about a month to receive this once the consulate has the petition (again, could be longer, could could be less).

Once the consulate has the check list sent back to them, an interview letter will be sent to your fiance. The interview could be anywhere between week and months of the sent date. My interview was scheduled for one month ahead of the date the interview letter was sent to me....though in extreme cases, Ive seen peoples interviews scheduled 11 months ahead of the letter (this was a case in PI).

Once the interview is over and the K1 is approved, expect about a week or so to get the visa in hand. India could be different though and issue the visas on the same, but from my UK experience, the visa is couriered to you (the embassy keep our passport after the interview to process your visa).

My personal experience from start to finish was around 9 months which is VERY average.

all i did was send in the paperwork in early december 2008, and i received a letter from DHLS saying my application was received and that they will contact me for further at later moment.

i got an e-mail saying "REQUEST FOR INITIAL EVIDENCE SENT, CASE PLACED ON HOLD" - that was about a week ago... i still haven't received their mail. How long does it take for this mail to come? Their 1-800 number says don't call us unless its been 30 days since we've mailed you the notice. Does it really take 30 days to get a mail? what information are they looking for here form me? I taught I sent them everything.

what information are they looking for here form me? I taught I sent them everything.

No one here will be able to predict what the RFE is for. Youre just going to have to wait for it to arrive, and when it does, it will clearly outline the additional info that they need from you.

it says, i didn't provide evidence that i met my fiance in person within last 2 years.

evidence would be a written statement + transportation tickets + photos + letters/e-mails.

Do you have stamps in your passport to prove that you have entered your fiance's country (or visa versa)? This could be included also.

I am going to send a written/signed statement of how/when we met, my passport copy with entry stamp, some of the pictures we took together, some of the e-mails we sent back and forth to each other. will that be enough?

You need to make sure that the evidence you provide focuses on the fact that you have met within the past 2 years. While photos prove that you have met, they dont prove when the meetings actually were. Likewise with emails and sworn statements....they dont prove that you have physically met within the past 2 years. By all means, include this evidence as it wont hurt your case, but this isnt the particular evidence that they are wanting for this issue. They are looking for primary evidence....evidence of proof of travel (ticket stubs NOT itineries.....you can include both, but not itineries on their own), entry stamps...make sure the date on these stamps are visible...if they arent, make a copy of them and highlight the date/draw an arrow to it and label it. Do you also have credit card receipts from your fiance's home country/town that coincide with boarding passes/entry stamps that you have. Basically, they want physical proof that puts you and your fiance together within the last 2 years....people can lie in sworn statements....photographs can be more than 2 years old....emails can be fabricated. Therefore focus your attention on documented, dated proof that you were both in the same place at the same within the past 2 years.

Do you have boarding passes for the flight to her city/country? If so, attach those to.

I am going to send a written/signed statement of how/when we met, my passport copy with entry stamp, some of the pictures we took together, some of the e-mails we sent back and forth to each other. will that be enough?

so i sent in everything about 10 days before it was due via FedEx. I got the confirmation that its reached destination.

Its been about 3 weeks already since the 'last day to submit evidence'. The notice said i need to give them atleast 60 days for reply.

Can anyone tell me how long of a wait is there to receive confirmation for Request of Evidance ? What is the next step?