Just few questions

Azadindian

Registered Users (C)
Dear Jack or Alenpero:
Could you please answer this for my knowledge:
When they stamp the passport, what that stamp says?
Does it say anywhere that you have become permanent resident through asylum or simply they stamp "Permanent Resident"?

At some point I read Alenpero mentioning that they stampped his his RTD and his family's expried passport. He also mentioned they kept his RTD and gave temp. card.

I am wondering when neither he has RTD nor his passport, how would he be able to travel? Suppose to Canada or any other country for that matter. Pleas reply.

Originally posted by Azadindian
Dear Jack or Alenpero:
Does it say anywhere that you have become permanent resident through asylum or simply they stamp "Permanent Resident"?

At some point I read Alenpero mentioning that they stampped his his RTD and his family's expried passport. He also mentioned they kept his RTD and gave temp. card.

I am wondering when neither he has RTD nor his passport, how would he be able to travel? Suppose to Canada or any other country for that matter. Pleas reply.

Hi,

I lost my national passport and I never applied for RTD so I took my I-94. The IIO took my old I-94 and issued a paper card which is slightly larger than I-94 form. The new card bears my photograph and the notice reads:

" Processed for I-551. Temporary evidence of Lawful Permanent Residence. Valid Until (one year from the date of stamping). Employment Authorized."

I could be wrong but I suppose he could apply for a new RTD or Re-entry Permit if he needs to travel again. By the way, after your I-485 approval stamping you no longer need RTD to travel to Canada by land. All you need is your drivers license and the temporary I-551 revidence card I just mentioned.

Good Luck

Thanks bro. Jack for your reply.
I am going for my fingerprint next week. However, I have one more question which is not answered:

What stamp read on the National Passport? I am curious if I should carry my National passport from my own country which is still valid. I have also already applied for my new RTD which should come sometime next month. So please advice.... It looks like Alepero is not browsing this forum anymore!

I have been interacting with you and him for over three years. Wow! What a strenght this forums has provided and so is about your advice.

Thanks again

Alanpero still access this forum but not as frequently as he used to do. I'm sure he'll post a reply when he visits again.
By the way, do you mind me asking why you want to have your I-485 approval stamped in your national passport?

Dear Jack:
I dont have any reason, thats why I am asking this question. I came to this county legally and applied for asylum, they may ask me where is my National Pasport which is still Valid. Thats why I am asking from you what would stamp read like:

If it says or mention anywhere about my asalyee status, its better I don't mention about it and go with my I-94 or RTD.

Please advice...

Dear Jack:
I dont have any reason, thats why I am asking this question. I came to this county legally and applied for asylum, they may ask me where is my National Pasport which is still Valid. Thats why I am asking from you what would stamp read like:

If it says or mention anywhere about my asalyee status, its better I don't mention about it and go with my I-94 or RTD.

Please advice...

For asylees and refugees National Passport is not required by BCIS for I-485 approval stamping.)
When I went for my approval stamping I just told the IIO that I have lost my National Passport and she didn't ask me any further questions about it.
Don't worry, I-94 alone (and 2 photographs of yourself of course) is sufficient for your adjustment of status approval stamping. BCIS understands that Refugees and Asylees may no longer have their passports.

hi,

Azadindian canI ask you when did you get your fingerprint request and when did u apply for I485?

Thanks,
Lola

I applied I-485 in December 1999 and got my fingerprint request this week only. And I am going for them to my local office this week.

About my RTD, usually it takes about four weeks to get the new one for me. This is my third RTD that I have applied after expiring the previous ones.

Re: Re: Just few questions

Originally posted by JackIsBack
Hi,

I lost my national passport and I never applied for RTD so I took my I-94. The IIO took my old I-94 and issued a paper card which is slightly larger than I-94 form. The new card bears my photograph and the notice reads:

" Processed for I-551. Temporary evidence of Lawful Permanent Residence. Valid Until (one year from the date of stamping). Employment Authorized."

I could be wrong but I suppose he could apply for a new RTD or Re-entry Permit if he needs to travel again. By the way, after your I-485 approval stamping you no longer need RTD to travel to Canada by land. All you need is your drivers license and the temporary I-551 revidence card I just mentioned.

Good Luck

What if you don't have your old I-94 and old passport ?? Should I apply for RTD just in case??
Since I have I-94.. for the asylum... but not the Entry one.. Lost that one with passport..it was stapled in..

Did you take your Asylum I-94 or the entry one?

Would I also need I-602 waiver... Since I wont be able to prove my admisiblity into the U.S legally.. because I lost my passport ??

Thanks bro...

P.S - I am refering to when I-485 is approved.. What is the detailed procedure for stamping.. If someone can help me out...

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Jack:

Please advice...

Azadindian,

I got my passport stamped last week and it says (approval from Lincoln As6 dated .../.../... I guess if you use your national passport, only the US IO will understand that you had your GC as a result of assylum. I don't think an officer from your home country make any sense out of it.

Do they give you an option to get I-94 stamped too ? What does the letter say.. can you please summarize...

Originally posted by EaglSkyB
Azadindian,

I got my passport stamped last week and it says (approval from Lincoln As6 dated .../.../... I guess if you use your national passport, only the US IO will understand that you had your GC as a result of assylum. I don't think an officer from your home country make any sense out of it.

Most well informed foreign officials (particularly those in the Intelligence branches) know what "AS6" stand for :)

Dear Jack or Alenpero:

I went with a valid RTD. They kept the RTD and gave me a card similar to the I-94 (but bigger) stamped with the script described by Jack.
My family went with their expired passports and were expecting to get a similar card; however, they stamped their expired passports. The stamp in their passports is exactly the same one I got in the card they gave to me.
That stamp is only a temporary proof of your resident status until you actually get the green card.
The document you need to travel if you dont have passport, is the RTD. If at the time of stamping you dont have neither pasport nor RTD, they will give you the white card (similar to the I-94) with your photo.
If after getting that white card you need to travel abroad, you will have to get an RTD and use the white card as proof of US residency to re-enter.
Hope this clarifies everything.

Hell Alenpero:
I applied I-485 in December 1999 and got FP notice due in two wks. Do you think I should be able to make it by March 2004? Just advice!

Also for RFE, do we also need to provide them REF or only when they ask? I am wondering if proof is needed for sure, I would start process collecting the same.

Hell Alenpero:
I applied I-485 in December 1999 and got FP notice due in two wks. Do you think I should be able to make it by March 2004? Just advice!

Also for RFE, do we also need to provide them REF or only when they ask? I am wondering if proof is needed for sure, I would start process collecting the same.

Hard to predict. Last official word from INS regarding cut-off dates was:
FY 03: 2-1-99
FY 04: 9-14-99
FY 05: 3-13-00
Since your application was filed in December 99, they should be processing it in FY 05 (1st Oct 04 thru 30 Sep 05).
However, bear in mind they released this projection on July 21 02 based on information they had at that time (regarding the number of I-485 asylum applications filed) and recently they informed AILA they are working cases filed in Nov 99. Also, the fact you received the FP notice is a good sign.
This makes me think that the projection released in July 02 is going to change and the wait will be shorter. It seems to me the projection they made was conservative, and they are finding less cases, but this is pure speculation.
In your case, right now, the official date is FY 05 but, if I am right your case could be processed in FY 04 (1st Oct 03 thru 30 Sep 04). Good luck
As for the RFE, provide it only when asked.