• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Just arrived, help with US phone number and SS ?

piotr95

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone, just a few quick questions:

Would anyone be able to tell me how to go about getting a new simcard and a US mobile phone number?
Is it just completely simple and I can go in and get a plan I want, what do I need? What carrier and plan would everyone recommend? I'm not crazy with my phone.

Another thing is the Social Security Card/Number. I remember checking in the box which asked if I wanted one assigned to me on the documents we had to send off to KCC, however the CBP officer I had while crossing recommended to actually go to the office and sort this out, what should I do, or even ask for? How long have people had to wait for, for it to come down?

Thank you :)

PS. Some of you might remember me from my previous post several months ago, before I had my interview. There were some doubts but I decided to go do it anyway and everything turned out to be fine :) I will share my story if anybody is interested when I have more time.

You can get contract free sim card from T-mobile. I do that every time I travel to the US from work. Then when you settle can think about getting a contract.

Would anyone be able to tell me how to go about getting a new simcard and a US mobile phone number?
Is it just completely simple and I can go in and get a plan I want, what do I need? What carrier and plan would everyone recommend? I'm not crazy with my phone.

Another thing is the Social Security Card/Number. I remember checking in the box which asked if I wanted one assigned to me on the documents we had to send off to KCC, however the CBP officer I had while crossing recommended to actually go to the office and sort this out, what should I do, or even ask for? How long have people had to wait for, for it to come down?

PS. Some of you might remember me from my previous post several months ago, before I had my interview. There were some doubts but I decided to go do it anyway and everything turned out to be fine :) I will share my story if anybody is interested when I have more time.

SS cards usually arrive in about a week, but it won't hurt to go down to the SS office and check everything is on track. Take your passport (with the immigrant visa in it) with you.

Wow... So you made it at last! :) Congrats!

For sure you need to share the details of your case, specifically the complication with your education background. I'm sure it'll help some folks down the road.

Agreed on Tmobile. You can also get a prepaid card in Walmart/Target etc.

However, your foreign phone may not be unlocked - so that might cause an issue. To get a contract phone you will need you SSN and some basic credit history.

Regarding your SSN, I would personally go to the SSA. For some people ticking the get me an SSN box worked fine, for others it didn't. If you go to the ssa you can find out whether they have your card in process or not and get the SSN number even before you have the card.

Glad all worked out for you - please do post your experiences when you get time.

I'm interested in your story! Let me repay you:

Many US phone companies don't have SIM cards. They don't use GSM either so your phone won't work. Verizon and Sprint, the biggest and third biggest (?) phone networks use the rare CDMA standard (not to be confused with the globally accepted WCDMA 3G standard) which is pretty much only used in the USA. They also use an oddball 3G standard called 3G-EV-DO.

AT&T and T-Mobile use normal GSM and Sim cards, however T-Mobile use the oddball 1700MHz frequency for their 3G services. Flagship mobiles like iPhones will support 1700MHz but some phones don't.

Get AT&T or a small player that use their network. Verizon and Sprint suck for travel due to their non-standard networks and phones.

I'm interested in your story! Let me repay you:

Many US phone companies don't have SIM cards. They don't use GSM either so your phone won't work. Verizon and Sprint, the biggest and third biggest (?) phone networks use the rare CDMA standard (not to be confused with the globally accepted WCDMA 3G standard) which is pretty much only used in the USA. They also use an oddball 3G standard called 3G-EV-DO.

AT&T and T-Mobile use normal GSM and Sim cards, however T-Mobile use the oddball 1700MHz frequency for their 3G services. Flagship mobiles like iPhones will support 1700MHz but some phones don't.

Get AT&T or a small player that use their network. Verizon and Sprint suck for travel due to their non-standard networks and phones.

Thanks everyone for you replies!
This is informative. Looks like they like to complicate things for themselves then haha

Looks like I'll be going with AT&T then, what should I ask for though, really? A sim card and a pay as you go plan? (My preferred option atm)

Alright okay, I'll be posting my experience in a new thread soon then ! :)
Thank you !

I agree with you having to go to the SS office. I had to go there to get them to process mine even after ticking the box that started that they should process one for me. When you do go to the SS office take your birth certificate and your passport. Mainly your birth certificate because they will need to use your mother's last name.

About the phone line, your best bet would be a party as you go until you get a little more situated. Just make sure that whichever carrier that you choose had the top up cards easily accessible like at the 7 Elevens. If you will be making many international calls, use Google voice. International calls made via US carriers will cost you an arm and a leg. To this day, I use Google voice for all my international calls. All the best and welcome to the US.

Thanks everyone for you replies!
This is informative. Looks like they like to complicate things for themselves then haha

Looks like I'll be going with AT&T then, what should I ask for though, really? A sim card and a pay as you go plan? (My preferred option atm)

Americans love contracts and use pre-paid less than most countries, however you don't have a social number and no credit history so they'll want a $500 deposit. I'd stick with pre-paid.

Check the AT&T MVNOs here for a cheap company that uses the AT&T network. Note the network bands. (UMTS = WCDMA 3G.)

Having a smartphone with 1GB data plan is good for new immigrants who are lost and occasionally need google maps to rescue them.

It's difficult for me to understand all what I said in this discussion. I make a lot of efforts but not understand everything. :( I'm really sorry.
So two questions:
1/ I've got an iPhone + no credit historic + no address + one bank account + I need to phone and ideally internet. Which company must I choose?

2/ I though the security card was automatically sent by mail?
And what I understand in this discussion is that I have to go to an office to receive it?

So sorry to understand nothing :confused:

It's difficult for me to understand all what I said in this discussion. I make a lot of efforts but not understand everything. :( I'm really sorry.
So two questions:
1/ I've got an iPhone + no credit historic + no address + one bank account + I need to phone and ideally internet. Which company must I choose?

And what I understand in this discussion is that I have to go to an office to receive it?

If your iphone is unlocked you can get a contract free (pay as you go) sim card from T-mobile American for example. That's what I have done quite few times.

Ok franko. Thanks a lot. I've an unlocked iPhone bought in chicago.
It's a good information. But it must be expensive no?

An for the SS card? :D

Ok franko. Thanks a lot. I've an unlocked iPhone bought in chicago.
It's a good information. But it must be expensive no?

An for the SS card? :D

Tmobile has a prepaid monthly plan that gives you data for about 50 per month.

The social security discussion is that some people found their card didn't arrive automatically, and since you need it ASAP, it is best to check at the social security office.

Simon's right. For 50 bucks you get unlimited 4G, unlimited calls and texts - I think. :)

But it's not contract so you can get it straight away and go for proper contract when you have a bank account, permanent address and SSN. :)

Last edited:
Simon's right. For 50 bucks you get unlimited 4G, unlimited calls and texts - I think. :)

But it's not contract so you can get it straight away and go for proper contract when you have a bank account, permanent address and SSN. :)

Limited 4g. Igb I think.

So two questions:

T-Mobile Pre-paid is great and recommended.. but!, does your iPhone support the 1700 band?

You need to find out first. Most phones don't. Check the Network compatibility of iPhone 5 models here. If not you need to use AT&T or one of their MVNOs.