July 2009 Family Based Filers - Post Here

SpanishGirl

Registered Users (C)
Thanks to all the help by everyone on this site, today, July 6th 2009, I finally submitted all my forms:

I-130
I-131 ($355)
I-485 ($1,010)
I-693 ($310 for medical)
I-765
G325A (for husband an I)
($150 for lawyer review of all forms)

Grand Total: $1,875

And just some info. about my situation in case anyone else is in the same shoes. I am a Canadian citizen here in the US as a Visitor, I got here on May 4th 2009. My plan is to return to Canada in December '09 to finish my last semester of University, then return to the US again in April '10 for good.

I would love to hear about anyone else who has submitted their forms the same month, just to hear about everyone's progress!

Last edited by a moderator:
I submitted mines in the order that follows
June 12th submitted

I-485
I-693
I765
I-864

USCIS returned everything back to me on June 29th along with I-797 with notice that it was rejected because it was missing the I-130.On june 30th I mailed

I-130
G-325A x 3 because 1 one of g325a has to go along with I-485
I-485
I-765
I-131
I-864
I-693
copy of my W2s
Copy of USC passport
Copy of marriage certificate
pictures for both I-130 and I-485
copy of I-94
received by USCIS on july 1st

G-325A x 3 because 1 one of g325a has to go along with I-485

pictures for both I-130 and I-485
copy of I-94
received by USCIS on july 1st

My lawyer said you should have (4) G-325A each.. so a total of 8. Also, 6 passport photos of me (Canadian) and 2 from my US citizen Husband.

Also, what Country are you filing from, I am from Canada and Canadians don't get an I-94.

I was told by both USCIS and my lawyer that I needed to file one for my self USC and 2 for my wife .Mine as well as my wife's needs to be file along with the I-130 and my wife's second G-325A needs to be file along with the I-485 form . the fourth page is for the local consulate that would be if she was overseas.I will call another attorney to get confirmation on how many forms that needs to be sent.By the way my wife is from the Dominican republic.

Applying for AOS thru marriage to USC, came here on K1 visa. Mailed I485 & I765 packages last Jul 3 thru USPS.

6/30/09: Mailed I-130/485/765
7/1/09: USCIS received application
7/6/09: Both checks cashed
7/9/08: received aos for I-131,I-765,I-485,

We will be filing all I-130/I-485/I-765 early next week.

As far as I know, for I-130 petition only 1 set of G-325A (all 4 pages) required from each - petitioner and beneficiary.

And alien beneficiary will also need to submit 1 set of G-325A (all 4 pages) along with I-485.

What did you guys use as additional proof your marriage being bona fide (genuine)?

We will be filing all I-130/I-485/I-765 early next week.

As far as I know, for I-130 petition only 1 set of G-325A (all 4 pages) required from each - petitioner and beneficiary.

And alien beneficiary will also need to submit 1 set of G-325A (all 4 pages) along with I-485.

What did you guys use as additional proof your marriage being bona fide (genuine)?

Yes, for the G-325A you are correct.. That's what I did.

I was told by some people on here and by our lawyer that we didn't need proof of our relationship... but I DID submit:
1)our joint car insurance and
2)joint bank account
3)1 notarized letter from my husbands boss.

My friend (Canadian who married an American) just got an RFE (request for evidence).... she included 5 notarized letters and proof of the relationship through a joint bank account... she just found this out today.. and she filed 5 weeks ago. Sooo... I would say include as much as possible.. more doesn't hurt, but less could.

I have 4 notarized letters, but I was told to save them for the interview which will come within 6 months.. I also have proof of a visa joint account and our cell phones on a family plans. I wish now that I included them.. but I will have to wait and see if I get an RFE.

Hi
I am on F1 visa and my spouse is a US citizen. I am student since last 4 years in USA. Could you throw some light on, what documents you submitted while filling for AOS.

According to my knowledge , following documents are important. Could you please add any comments if this is incomplete.

1)I-485,
2)I-130(with US citizenship certificate,marriage certificate, 2 photos) ,
3)G-325A(Biographic information) ,
4)I-864 (affidavit of support: Do I need to attach any supporting document with I-864, tax docs. W-2 ??????),----I am not sure about this.
5)I-765 ,
6)I-131
7)Medical Examination Results (I-693)----Is this form mandatory(not optional) or is it optional.

How much is the filling fees?

Please guide me on this.

Thanks in advance !!
-Sushant

Hi
I am on F1 visa and my spouse is a US citizen. I am student since last 4 years in USA. Could you throw some light on, what documents you submitted while filling for AOS.

According to my knowledge , following documents are important. Could you please add any comments if this is incomplete.

1)I-485,
4)I-864 (affidavit of support: Do I need to attach any supporting document with I-864, tax docs. W-2 ??????),----I am not sure about this.
5)I-765 ,
6)I-131
7)Medical Examination Results (I-693)----Is this form mandatory(not optional) or is it optional.

Please guide me on this.

Thanks in advance !!
-Sushant

Yes you will need to attach with your I-864 either an IRS transcript or W2s showing that the petitioner is making enough to support the alien , your I-693 is mandatory because if you don't send it you will receive a RFE requesting it which will pause your application until it is received.

Hi

1)I-485,
5)I-765 ,
6)I-131

Please guide me on this.

Thanks in advance !!
-Sushant

Filing fee for I-130 is currently $355. For I-485 filing fee is $1010, which includes biometrics fee.

Report on your medical examination, Form I-693, should be completed by USCIS designated physicians only. Please check USCIS website for the list of designated physicians in your area. Competed Form I-693 should be submitted in the envelope sealed by physician, who have done your medical examination. I-693 must accompany your I-485, application for adjustment of status.

As far as form G-325A, for I-130 petition you must submit 1 (All 4 pages) G-325A for Petitioner and 1 (All 4 pages) G-325A for Beneficiary. Include 1 US passport-style Photo of Petitioner and 1 US passport-style Photo of Beneficiary.

For I-485 submit 1 (All 4 pages) G-325A for Applicant (I-130 Beneficiary). Include 2 US passport-style Photos of Applicant (I-130 Beneficiary).

I highly recommend you to download all forms, that you intend to file, from USCIS website at www.uscis.gov They do have detailed instructions. Those instructions should be your primary and the most reliable source of information. I urge you to read instructions from A to Z. Especially instructions for I-864. I realize that instructions might not answer all of your questions. Should you have any further specific questions, after reading all instructions, ask other people who have gone through this process.

SpanishGirl said:
My friend (Canadian who married an American) just got an RFE (request for evidence).... she included 5 notarized letters and proof of the relationship through a joint bank account... she just found this out today.. and she filed 5 weeks ago. Sooo... I would say include as much as possible.. more doesn't hurt, but less could.

After reading comments from the following topic "Can secondary inspection at POE affect AOS?" http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=300453 , I realized that going too much overboard might, in some cases, actually play a negative role. Too much information may perplex processing officer as he/she must try to understand all that information. It might also raise an additional attention to the case
or wrong suspicion of a processing officer.

Final argument against dumping all available evidence is if for any reason USCIS sends RFE, you won't be able to send them anything. From strategic point of view, it is a good idea to save a couple aces in the sleeves.

After reading comments from the following topic "Can secondary inspection at POE affect AOS?" http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=300453 , I realized that going too much overboard might, in some cases, actually play a negative role. Too much information may perplex processing officer as he/she must try to understand all that information. It might also raise an additional attention to the case
or wrong suspicion of a processing officer.

Final argument against dumping all available evidence is if for any reason USCIS sends RFE, you won't be able to send them anything. From strategic point of view, it is a good idea to save a couple aces in the sleeves.

Yes, sorry I didn't respond earlier. I wouldn't submit ALL the documents you were going to... it's too much.. I would do a couple. Yes, you are right, if you include TOO much it may look suspicious. My Lawyer told me not to submit any... but like I said I includes a joint wachovia account and joint car insurance thus 1 notarized letter. I was also told that it is best if people writing the notary letters are all BORN in the US. And for the interview.. when it happens within the next 6 months.. bring ALL your documents you have prepared!

When are you submitting all your forms?

Yes, sorry I didn't respond earlier. I wouldn't submit ALL the documents you were going to... it's too much.. I would do a couple. Yes, you are right, if you include TOO much it may look suspicious. My Lawyer told me not to submit any... but like I said I includes a joint wachovia account and joint car insurance thus 1 notarized letter. I was also told that it is best if people writing the notary letters are all BORN in the US. And for the interview.. when it happens within the next 6 months.. bring ALL your documents you have prepared!

When are you submitting all your forms?

We sent our I-130/I-485/I-765 package this afternoon. From documents to prove that marriage is bona fide, we included an affidavit from my wife's mom (we live at one of her properties), copies of current bank account statements, copies of the statements for the old bank account which we had a few years ago, a copy of the most recent cell phone bill that has our names, five affidavits from people (all are born citizens) who attest that our marriage is genuine, a copy of a few years old electric bill that shows our names, and a few photos of me and my wife together. I hope that our submitted documents will be sufficient for now.

What is next? Will the send receipt approximately within a week?
When will I be able to track the status of my case at USCIS website?
Will USCIS assign case number in NOA1?

You will get a receipt number within 3-4 weeks. I am still waiting for mine. Then you can go to the uscis website to track your submission.

Ps. A little side story for people. I am a Canadian visitor here in the US. My US citizen husband and I just went to South America for 5 days. On our way back into the US we were questioned and searched extra... The lady said I needed proof of my marriage.. Although I have no reciept number or anything yet...she said she needed proof that I had sent my forms in...
Sooo... Anyone have traveling plans.. BEWARE

You will get a receipt number within 3-4 weeks. I am still waiting for mine. Then you can go to the uscis website to track your submission.

Ps. A little side story for people. I am a Canadian visitor here in the US. My US citizen husband and I just went to South America for 5 days. On our way back into the US we were questioned and searched extra... The lady said I needed proof of my marriage.. Although I have no reciept number or anything yet...she said she needed proof that I had sent my forms in...
Sooo... Anyone have traveling plans.. BEWARE

Do you know when I-130/I-485 is considered as properly filed?
Since the day it was sucessfully delivered to USCIS Lockbox, unless original submission was missing important evidence and was sent back, or since the day you actually received receipt number? It looks like our package will be delivered, most likely, tomorrow.

Why would you need proof of marriage at POE? Do you have your original marriage certificate? Perhaps you should have taken it or its copy with you for duration of your trip.

Traveling outside US with pending I-130/I-485 and without Advance Parole (AP) in hands in risky. There is a likelihood of being denied entry upon return to US. There is still such a likelihood even with AP in hands. So I would suggest to wait until I-130/I-485 process is finalized or travel only
in there is an emergency situation and only with AP in hands.

Do you know when I-130/I-485 is considered properly filed? Since the day it was successfully delivered to USCIS Lockbox, unless original submission was missing important evidence and was sent back, or since the day you actually received receipt number? It looks like our package will be delivered, most likely, tomorrow. My I-94 will expire in about a week from now. I didn't want to be out of status at the time of I-130/I-485 was filed.

Why would you need proof of marriage at POE? Do you have your original marriage certificate? Perhaps you should have taken it or its copy with you for duration of your trip.

Traveling outside US with pending I-130/I-485 and without Advance Parole (AP) in hands is a risky adventure. Because there is always a likelihood of being denied entry upon return to US. There is still such a likelihood even with AP in hands. So I would suggest to wait until I-130/I-485 process is finalized or travel only in there is an emergency situation and only with AP in hands.

On the NOA, there are two dates - Receipt date, and Notice date. I would think as long as the receipt date is before the I-94 expiration, you are not out of status.

Did you really travel to South America after filing your I-485 and before your Advance Parole was approved? If you did that, that is grounds for denying your I-485.