job change

caram11

Registered Users (C)
HI,
My fiance is Canadian and I am a US citizen. He is currently here on a TN and will be applying for a green card after our 9/12 wedding.
I have two questions.
1. Can we file ANYTHING before the wedding or do we just have to wait?
2. He is being recruited for another job and if he accepts it, should he file for another TN visa if it is before the wedding? Should he expect any trouble at the border for applying for another TN (set to expire 3/10)? Or for changing jobs?

I guess that's a few more than 2 questions.
As always, thanks for the help!

1. No. "Fiancees" can file for an K-1 entry visa to come into US, but this does not allow them to work, so his TN would be dead.
2. He will have to get a new TN to work for someone else, unless and until he gets EAD, which will occur about 3 months after you file I-130/I-131(AP)/I-485/I-765(EAD) right after you marry. So he either needs to take the job now or wait and stay with current employer 'til the new year (fortunately his current TN will last long enough for him to get EAD .

If he does go out the country for whatever reason before the wedding, he must NEVER divulge that he is about to marry a USC to any border officer, or he will be refused entry and told to get the visa I mentioned above (which would take a couple of months). After marriage he quite simply CANNOT leave US for any reason until he gets his AP (I-131) and EAD (I-765) which means wedding in US, honeymoon in US and stay put for 3 months (Yeah, you were presented with that little bombshell last time you visited us).

Last edited by a moderator:
HI! Thanks for the posts. My fiance was offered a new job with a new company (same field). Our current plan is for him to travel to the border, apply for a new TN visa and not mention at all the 9/09 wedding plans.
Can anyone see any complications from switching jobs on a TN as long as all the paperwork is prepared correctly? Does the border usually give people a hard time if they are switching jobs on a TN?
This is a great opportunity for him, but obviously I want him to be here for our wedding, even if that means staying at his old job. Obviously, there will be NO mention of the upcoming wedding or that he is engaged when at the border.
Thanks