J1 waiver process

Hi Ahsan,

Did you get sponsered by Bangladesh government? Then NOS from them might be the one you need. If you get NOS from them by yourself, you may not need to hire a lawyer for the whole process. But, you still want to see lawyers for a couseling. First meeting could be free or $50~100. You will learn what is the right procedures. Also, they can read your statement and tell you how to make it stonger. You may call up as many immigration lawyers on the telephon book and ask whether they have experience of J1 waiver (maks sure to thell them your case is not Medical, right?). One adivice I heard is... you have to say that it is better for you to stay in US to accomplish the goal that you wrote on your statement of J1 program application.

If you get sponsered by other organization such as East-West Center, you may need their NOS. Or, DOS may ask their opinion. You can contact the visa-officer of the J1-program you used to belong. They could give you some information.

Good luck!

how to get receipt number from USCIS

Hi guys,

1. How long is the waiting time to receive waiver result from USCIS ?

2.How can I get the receipt number from USCIS to check the status of the waiver decision?

3. Is there any tips how to talk to Visa Officer at USCIS in order for me to get the receipt number?

Thank you.

Hi guys,

I have a question, hopefully someone can help.
Did you send any documents to USCIS to get the receipt number?? I just called USCIS and the guy said I have to send form I-612 if I want to receive anything from them. Is that true?? Is that why I haven't received anything from them??

I thought if i sent all documents to DoS and they sent me the recommendation that's all I had to do. Was i wrong??
Please help!!

I do not know why one needs a receipt number from USCIS-is it to get the final waiver from them?? I had just sent all the documents to DOS and they received the NOS from my embassy and then within 3-weeks or something, I got the recommendation on their website. Subsequently, within 7-10 days, I got the letter from both DOS and USCIS.

waiting for USCIS notice

Hi guys,

I am waiting for USCIS notice too after receiving favorable recommendation from DoS.
Do you mind sharuing with me how long to wait for the DoS letter and USCIS notice?
Some people said I can check with USCIS about the progress but need a receipt number. How can I get the receipt number?

Thank you

Hi guys,

I am waiting for USCIS notice too after receiving favorable recommendation from DoS.
Do you mind sharuing with me how long to wait for the DoS letter and USCIS notice?
Some people said I can check with USCIS about the progress but need a receipt number. How can I get the receipt number?

Thank you

See, I have the same exact problem :/ Got the recommendation in my hands but still nothing from USCIS. And it's been about two months. So i called first DoS and the lady said I need to call USCIS becaouse all documents from them (DOS) have been forwarded to USCIS. So i Did call USCIS and the guy said he can't check anything without the receipt number and he told me also I need to send form I612 to get it. But then I searched on the Internet and found out that if I obtained the waiver based on no objection letter i do not need to send this form at all. So i guess the USCIS workers don't really know much about this stupid waivers :/ So I don't know, I guess the only thing what left is to wait.
BTW, does anyone know if USPS forewords the mail from USCIS?? I've changed the address not to long time ago and am wondering that maybe they don't.
Thx

DoS letter

Dear all,

It has been 16 days but I still do not receive the favorable recommendation letter from DoS. DOes DoS mail regular mail or registered mail? Would you guys share with me the time line to receive the favorable recommendation letter from DoS from the day the online status was updated?

Thanks

DoS letter

Dear all,

It has been 16 days but I still do not receive the favorable recommendation letter from DoS. DOes DoS mail regular mail or registered mail? Would you guys share with me the time line to receive the favorable recommendation letter from DoS from the day the online status was updated?

Thanks

sorry, i meant i saw the recommendation on the DOS website.

I received the favorable recommendation letter today. It took 19 days for the letter to arrive since the favorable recommendation online update.
It took 15 days for them to mail the letter out from the day they wrote the letter(letter date).

Now I am waiting for the final approval from USCIS. I wonder how long shall I wait to receive the letter?
How long you had to wait to receive the final approval from USCIS?
Is there any way to check and track the update of the approval from USCIS?

Hi guys, I need your help.
I applied for the J-1 waiver on the 16th of March of 2009 and the DOS received my documents on the 9th of April. Due to mess up in my documentation, I had to wait longer than usual cause I forgot to send one of the most important documents to my Embassy. Luckily I had a copy of my application and was able to fix everything. So I got a letter from my Embassy on the 25th of July saying they had no objection of me staying and that they were forwarding their recommendation to the Waiver Review Division but I keep checking online and they still haven't received the NOS.
My friend applied a little over 2 months ago and she already has a favorable recommendation on her status online.
Now, I have a few question as to what might be the cause of this delay:

- My visa expired in June. I asked an immigration attorney if this might be the reason why it's taking a while and he said no, that the waiver process is completely independent.

- At the time I applied, I put on my application that the immigration office I would request the visa transformation would be on a certain address, but now this office that covers the area where I live doesn't exist in this address anymore and it's located somewhere else according to the office locator on the USCIS website. Maybe they think I was lying or something?

- I was arrested a few months ago and ended up with a class 2 misdemeanor on my record and my sentence was 6 months of unsupervised probation. That was after I applied for the waiver and I said on my statement of reason I have never had problems with the US law but clearly, after I applied, I had. Could this be a reason for the delay? It's not like I lied or something, it's just something that happened and I absolutely was not planning on it.

I'm just really worried because I applied such a long time ago and still no answer on anything, they didn't even receive the NOS when I've already had. And this thing with my friend applying long after I did and she already has a favorable recommendation. I'm just a little afraid cause I'm getting married next week and I want to apply for a GC as soon as possible so I can start working but without this waiver there's nothing I can do.

Thank you so much for your attention, guys.
Any answer will be extremely appreciated.

I received the favorable recommendation letter today. It took 19 days for the letter to arrive since the favorable recommendation online update.
It took 15 days for them to mail the letter out from the day they wrote the letter(letter date).

Now I am waiting for the final approval from USCIS. I wonder how long shall I wait to receive the letter?
How long you had to wait to receive the final approval from USCIS?
Is there any way to check and track the update of the approval from USCIS?

Hello britz1955,

I'm in a similar situation as yours. Would you mind sharing how did the final USCIS approval process go?
I'd like to check the status of the application on USCIS site, but I don't have a receipt# either.

Thank you.

to britz1955

I would very much appreciate if you can tell me how many weeks it took to get the DoS recommendation? For me it's been over 10 weeks and the system is still showing status pending.

thanks!

Uscis

Hello britz1955,

I'm in a similar situation as yours. Would you mind sharing how did the final USCIS approval process go?
I'd like to check the status of the application on USCIS site, but I don't have a receipt# either.

Thank you.

Hi avalerio,

Call USCIS public enquiry and inform the customer service person that you have been waiting for the receipt number.Tell he/she you are waiting for a case for I-612. And she/he will ask you how long you have been waiting.Tell him/her that it is more than 30 days. Then she/he will transfer you to an officer who will help you to get your receipt number using your Name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fav recommendation

to britz1955

I would very much appreciate if you can tell me how many weeks it took to get the DoS recommendation? For me it's been over 10 weeks and the system is still showing status pending.

thanks!

Hi lusine

DOS received NOS on April 20th 2009 and I received Favorable recommendation on July 1st 2009. It is more than 10 weeks.

Hi avalerio,

Call USCIS public enquiry and inform the customer service person that you have been waiting for the receipt number.Tell he/she you are waiting for a case for I-612. And she/he will ask you how long you have been waiting.Tell him/her that it is more than 30 days. Then she/he will transfer you to an officer who will help you to get your receipt number using your Name.

Hi britz and thanks a lot for the advice. I will do that and will post a follow up.

Whenever you receive the USCIS notification (hopefully soon), could you let us know?

Good luck with your waiver.

Last edited by a moderator:
final notice of the waiver

Hi britz and thanks a lot for the advice. I will do that and will post a follow up.

Whenever you receive the USCIS notification (hopefully soon), could you let us know?

Good luck with your waiver.

Hi avalerio,

I received a notification that my final waiver has been sent by USCIS today.
I am waiting for the letter from them.

Hi avalerio,

I received a notification that my final waiver has been sent by USCIS today.
I am waiting for the letter from them.

Hi britz1955,
I wondered if you received the final waiver from USCIS on the mail, just to have an idea of how long that takes after it's approved.
Thanks.

How long to wait before beginning

Hi Everybody.

I was looking for a postdoctoral research job and finally I get one (for one year, possibly 2). I will begin (and enter to the USA) next year. My embassy says they take six months to send the NOS.... I´m wondering if I must begging my J1 waiver process as soon as I enter to the USA. :confused: , or wait some time (how long?).

Any answer will be extremely appreciated.

J1 No-objection processing time:

I know the frustration and anxiety about waiting for the paperwork. Here is the timeline of my wife's process (No Objection):

11/25/2009 documents sent overnight via Fedex to DoS and Embassy
11/26/2009 documents delivered at DoS and Embassy (1 day)
12/14/2009 information entered in DoS system (all was complete) (19 days)
01/05/2010 we contacted the embassy about the status. They said they had received favorable notification from the home government, and they will proceed to mail it to DoS (21 days)
01/11/2010 DoS received notification from embassy (6 days)
01/12/2010 DoS issued Favorable Recommendation and sent it to USICS (1 day)

So now we are just waiting for the USICS notification. We are extremely surprised of how fast and simple the process was, especially considering that the Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's holidays were in between.

A few suggestions:
1) Be patient!!!
2) Make sure all documents are complete
3) Be clear, honest, and to the point with the Statement of Reason, make sure it is convincing.
4) We DID NOT use a lawyer even though my wife was nervous at the beginning and suggested to use one. But every case is different, so you have to decide whether to go solo or hire a lawyer (we did the former).

I think the process is straightforward, and all that is required is to fill out forms, include letters, and wait. If you are on a J-1 you most likely have an advanced degree, so the process is not rocket science. Also, a key factor is that the home government was quick in responding.

Total processing time from submitting documents to DoS Favorable Recommendation 8 weeks! As soon as we received the USCIS recommendation I will post the date, so you can see the entire processing time. Good luck!

Have you heard anything from USCIS?
DOS sent mine to the USCIS on Jan 8. I have not heard anything since.