J1 waiver process

rsneeti

Registered Users (C)
I got my waiver recommendation from USCIS today. This forum has been especially helpful during the process. So I am posting things that I have learnt during my waiver process. My waiver basis was no-objection statement.
1. Firstly, make sure that there is enough time before you start the waiver process. I sent my documents in January 2009 and they were received on Feb 17, excluding the NOS, which was received by DOS on April 26, 2009 (although I got the copy of NOS from Washington embassy on feb 5).
2. It is better if you request your home embassy in washington to send the NOS after you see online that the documents that you mailed have been received.
3. I took an extension of my ongoing J1 program because I had not got the waiver and my J1 was going to finish. So taking an extension is fine if your case status shows pending. But it is better to check with your program sponsor also.
4. And finally, do what you have to do and be cool and patient.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations... Can you tell from the time DOS received all your docs including NOS how many days it took for them to make a favorable recommendation? All my docs were received on May 08 and I dont see any recommendation so far. Status is still pending.

congratulation!

Hi rsneeti,

Thank you for sharing your experience.
You took just 5 months for gettng J1-waiver?
It is a lot faster than the case I heard!
I was told that it will take 10 months to 12 months...

I have a question on your step 3.
So, you did J1 extension after you applied for J1-waiver?
Could the J1 program officer see that you applied for J1-waiver?
I may need to do J1-extension after I apply for J1-waiver.
Some people told me that J-1 program officer might
not know whether I applied for J1-waiver or not, so I just should
go get the signature without telling him anything about J1 waiver.
J1-visa is non-immigrant visa and J1-visa waiver is usually
for those who have immigration intent (GC or work visa).
So, I thought the officer cannot give me the signature
if he knows that I applied for J1-waiver.
It looks like your officer did not see your J1-waiver application record
or he knew but he just allowed you to extend your J1-visa.
I am a little bit reliefed about this now. :)

I am in the same situation like you kitten. I did apply for waiver, and still pending. Recently, I updated my DS. I told the officer in my program regarding my application to waiver. He told me he can not extend or update it if I get the waiver. Since my waiver is pending, he said he can process a new one.. Yours should be similar. Dont worry about it.

Hi Rijo, My NOS was received on April 26, 2009 and the recommendation was issued on May 13, 2009.

Hi Kitten,
I told my program officer about my waiver. It is fine to extend the current J1 program if the waiver status s pending. And extension means that a new DS2019 will be issued to you. I sent the new DS2019 to the department of state also to update my case status.

Hi eck132,

Good information! From your episode, now I understood that J-1 waiver pending itself does not block DS-2019 extention. Thanks!

Hi rsneeti,

Your episode cleary shows that Department of state does not mind a J1-waiver "pending" person to get DS-2019 extention (acquiring new DS-2019). I am reliefed now! Thanks!

Hi rsneeti, how long did it take for you to get the final waiver certificate from USCIS after you got favorable recommendation from DOS?

I got the letter from USCIS approximately 10-12 days after the favourable recommendation was received. Infact the DOS letter came after the USCIS letter.

Thats interesting. I got my favorable recommendation yesterday. No letter yet from DOS. I can see the recommendation on DOS website.

status after success of J-1 waiver

Hi rsneeti,

I have a question about the status after J-1 waiver. After one gets wavier of his 2years home country residency, can he maitain your J-1 status? Or, his J-1 status will be terminated immidiately right after his success of J-1 waiver? If so, won't he be in the illigal status? How did you maintain your legal status between J-1 status and work visa/GC etc? Did you apply for your next status before your J-1 waiver process completion? Or, your J1 status was maitained for a while (to the expiration of DS-2019 or some sort of grace period)?

Hi Kitten,
The J1 status is valid until the date on your latest DS-2019, even though the waiver is granted. You have to file for your new status before the date on DS-2019 expires.

what is the best answer to QUESTION:
EXPLAIN WHY YOU ARE ELIGIBLE FOR A WAIVER? WHAT IS THE BEST ANSWER?

I guess this is what you write as statement of reason when you apply for the waiver. And I justified by saying that I was doing research that was important for everyone and my staying here was crucial towards successful completion of the research projects. I hope this answers the question about eligibility for a waiver.

Hi rsneeti,

Thank you for your information. Now I know how to maitain my status from after J1-waiver to the beginning of new status.

J1 waiver still pending

Dear all,

At the moment my waiver is still pending.
Timeline:
05 May 2009-DOS received new DS2019 (since I got extension)
20 April 2009 - DOS received NOS from embassy in DC
22 Dec 2008-Received all documnets except NOS including the first DS2019 before extension.

I applied waiver before I got extension.I received new DS2019 while my waiver is pending.

I am curious why it takes a long time if compared to other cases that I saw on some posts here.
It has been almost 2 months since they received the NOS.I am getting worried and curious.
I called DOS today and they said they have all the required documents and advised me to wait for the decision.

My intention is to change status to F1 since I have offer to go to school in the Fall 09.

1.Does DOS do background check that delays the decision?

2.What are the factors that delay the decision?

3.Is it normal to wait for few months to get decision?

I appreciate all your opinions about my case because I believ some of you have lots of experiences.

Thanks milions times

write a statement demonstrating that why u r eligible to receive a waiver of 2 yrs from home country

I got my waiver recommendation from USCIS today. This forum has been especially helpful during the process. So I am posting things that I have learnt during my waiver process. My waiver basis was no-objection statement.
1. Firstly, make sure that there is enough time before you start the waiver process. I sent my documents in January 2009 and they were received on Feb 17, excluding the NOS, which was received by DOS on April 26, 2009 (although I got the copy of NOS from Washington embassy on feb 5).
2. It is better if you request your home embassy in washington to send the NOS after you see online that the documents that you mailed have been received.
3. I took an extension of my ongoing J1 program because I had not got the waiver and my J1 was going to finish. So taking an extension is fine if your case status shows pending. But it is better to check with your program sponsor also.
4. And finally, do what you have to do and be cool and patient.

Congratulation! I am planning to apply J-1 waiver by online and I found that I have to write a statement demonstrating that why I will receive a waiver of the two years home country requirement of the exchange visitor program. Now I am working in the Hawaii Dept of Transportation after my graduation (May 2009). So, what should I have to include my writings and how many words. Do you have any suggestions on that? Is it wise to hire an attorney or do by myself if I choose NOS form by Home Country, Bangladesh. I am also requesting any Bangladeshi member to convey their suggestion and comments in getting NOS from Embassy of Bangladesh. Did you hire any attorney or you did by yourself? If you hired someone can you send me his contact address.
Thanks,
Ahsan

I am curious why it takes a long time if compared to other cases that I saw on some posts here.
It has been almost 2 months since they received the NOS.I am getting worried and curious.
Mine took 5.5 months at the DOS and another 5 months at the USCIS
I called DOS today and they said they have all the required documents and advised me to wait for the decision.
That is right

1.Does DOS do background check that delays the decision?
In some cases on random basis
2.What are the factors that delay the decision?
Background check and complicated cases (many transfers and extensions in different places, multiple funds, ..............etc)
3.Is it normal to wait for few months to get decision?
Very normal some people travel back and spend almst the 2 yar country efore decision on pending waiver

-----------

For the statement required to justify the waiver, I wrote about the importance of my research and how my leaving would affect the progress of the project. So basically, if you write about the importance of your current job and how your stay is important for it.

Last edited by a moderator: