1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Obama's LEGAL immigration reform.

What does it mean? Listen to a discussion by Attorney Rajiv S. Khanna in the November 21 conference call recording. Subscribe to Our YouTube channel to be notified when new updates are posted.

J1 waiver and H1B Application

Discussion in 'General J Visa and Related Issues' started by lolina02, Jun 29, 2011.

1. lolina02

lolina02 New Member

I hold a J1 visa (issued in July 2009 - expiration date: July 2012). I work for a School District as a first grade teacher in a Dual Language Program. My school is willing to sponsor me for a H1B visa. My J1 visa says that I am not subject to the 2 year home country residence requirement. Do I need to apply for the waiver just in case?

I completed a on-line survey at the US Department of State website asking for an advisory opinion to determine whether the two-year home-country physical presence requirement applies to me. In case their answer is NO, it doesn't apply to me, is this a valid document to attach at the H1B visa application.

My visa expires in July 2012. The school year starts in August, I don't think I'll get the visa by them. Can I ask my responsible officer for an extension of my DS-2019 for a few months until I get the H1B visa? Am I allowed to work with that extension? or do I need to get a new J1 and them a waiver? Do I need to leave the country and apply at my home country US Consulate?
    Thank you

2. angela20

angela20 Registered Users (C)

If you are not subjected for 2 year residency. If the employer can petition for US Work Visa, you can Change the status.