J1 Visa Rejection

AhJ1

Registered Users (C)
Hi gurus,

I need yor urgent help about J1 visa rejection. My fiance was interviewed for J1 visa yesterday but got rejection. Earlier this year she had completed her 3 years medical residency and just three months ago had started fellowship. But once she left to her hometown and tried to have J1 visa renewed. She was told that her name has been appeared as "Ineligible" in US Embassy system. I don't know what that mean is.

Would someone please help me understand this situation ?

She had all necessary papers with her and it seems that Embassy folks are looking into some kind of a system to decide to endorse J1 visa. Please advise me any suggestions how to manaage this crisis. Embassy folks didn't mention any kind of reason about their decision.

It seems that Embassy had denied endorsing J1 visa because in their system it says J1 Ineligible. There is no reason given however, they had asked my fiance' if she had done something wrong while her stay in USA in last three and a half years. We are thinking that she had not report her change of address to Department of Homeland Security. She had done her residency in City A and then started her Fellowship in City B just three months ago. A friend of mine who is not so knowledgeable but tossed an idea that because Homeland Security didn't get change of address from the J1 visa holder that's the reason they blocked her name as an ineligible person. It is hard to believe but this could be a reason. She was extremely busy preparing herself to write board exam after completion of her residency and at the same time doing her fellowship with 48 long hours of duty during this period.

Would someone please share any idea if is there any way that Department of Homeland Security could lift their ban (if it is really there) because it is just an honest mistake rather than decieving any conerned authority(ies) ?

Please chime in your thoughts.

Thanks.

I doubt a simple omission to report change of adress will make her ineligible for J1. My brother has been in 20 differtn places in US in consulting projects over last 3 years on H1 and never bothered to report change of adress to INS. Yet he got an F visa recently from India, no questions asked.
Is it possible that your fiance name matches with some ones on the "no fly list"?

Consider filing a 'freedom of information act' request with USCIS to find out what the origin of this entry is.

This is weird. I wouldn't think that the AR-11 is the issue. In reality, the AR-11 system is pretty much independent from USCIS and doesn't even network with their computers.

Thanks hedron. But I'm thinking since USCIS is not involved in the visa process but the US Embassy in overseas. In this case USCIS may don't have any document related to this visa refusal.

Can we request US Embassy overseas for FOIA ?

Today I also gave a call to National Records Center to file FOIA. But the guy told me that they have a backlog of more than 70,000 and therefore, I should not expect a result soon. It may take upto a year.

Any suggestions!!!!

There is a system called 'IBIS' (interagency border information system) that USCIS and DOS and the consulates feed their information into. Before a consulate issues a visa, they run your name thorough IBIS (so does USCIS if they issue an employment authorization or a green-card). In all likelihood, something came up in the IBIS check. And USCIS should be able to give your wife information as to what is popping up in that system.

Are you a GC holder or have you applied for GC?

If so, this a possible cause for rejection. A J1 entrant is not supposed to have
immigrant intent.(unlike an H1b for example) You having applied for permanent residency may have prejudiced your wife's application if she had indeed mentioned that you've applied for an immigrant visa/or already an immigrant.

The reason is, I think, if a spouse is considering immigration/or is an immigrant,
then the J1 visa applicant is also considering immigration in future by proxy.

My bad: I read fiance as wife. In this case, I don't have a clue.

Ignore my previous post; I misread fiance as wife.

Dear AhJ1

I know its very late, can you please update me on what happened to your fiance's visa in Dec 2005? What was that objection "ineligible". I am a second year resident and wish to go to delhi for a restamping. Your reply would be of great help to me.

Dear AhJ1

I know its very late, can you please update me on what happened to your fiance's visa in Dec 2005? What was that objection "ineligible". I am a second year resident and wish to go to delhi for a restamping. Your reply would be of great help to me.

His last activity in the forum is almost 3 years ago and I do not think he will answer your question. Those with low number of threads usually go to those forum for particular issue then they quit