J1 to F1 Visa for Associate Degree in CS while having Masters in Energy

frozen_angel

Hello,
I have a bachelors and masters degree in Energy from my home country in Europe.

Recently, I am planning to change the direction of my career by getting an associate degree in Computer Science with focus in Web Development from a community college. I plan to use these skills to get a job in the developing IT industry back in my home country. I will file for change of status from J1 to F1 after my admission for Jan 2017 term.

Though, I am concerned whether having a bachelors and masters degree in an unrelated field will affect my application for change of status at all or not ?

Also, I will be sponsoring half of the cost from my personal saving and the other half will be done by a friend who is one H1B Visa. Hence, I was also wondering if having a sponsor who is one H1B visa affect my application or not ?

I will be glad if someone can share some information and provide some guidance in this regard.

Thanks.

I think everything looks good in your case. Changing status from j to f is not difficult. I know people who did it. Also, you don't have to say that you have already got a degree in another field. When I applied for f visa from my home country I had a bachelors degree in English and my college major in america was business administration. I didn't mention that I have a degree in English and the consul never asked me if I did. So its up to you if you feel like you should explain the situation or not. I personally don't think it will affect their decission