J-1 VISA extension and misdemeanor

Izzie2

I had a car accident on December. I lost control of my car and I hit the guardrail of the road.
I was alone, it was late at night, I didn't have a cell phone and didn't know I had to call the police anyway so I kept driving. I didn't know what else to do as there was nobody around. My goal was to go home (a few miles away) because internet is my only way of communication.
However, a few miles farther I stopped and an other car eventually stopped and called the police who came and filled a police report. I explained to the police where the accident took place and they sent a car there to take pictures of the guardrail. I acknowledged that I had a few drinks during the evening and the cop made me do some tests but didn't charged me with DUI or anything. I was not drunk.
Yesterday a police officer came to my place to review the accident report and told me I might be charged for leaving the accident scene. She said "might" and not will but still. She said she had to review the case with her supervisor and will keep me posted.
I live in NH so I guess it's a misdemeanor if they charge me.
I and really worried about what I risk and how that could affect my J-1 VISA extension that I have to do in August.
Have anyone experienced the same situation and can tell me what happened ?