J-1 2yrr

jerseyguy85

Hi!
I was a Fulbright teaching assistant for one year and my program is almost done. I have to leave US by end of June.
As 2YRR applies to me, I'm thinking either about:

1) getting "no objection" waiver.
Question 1: Does it make any sense for an Fulbrightee to try that?
Question 2:If yes, then should I take the "no objection" letter from my country's embassy or sponsorship organization (IIE) or from the university that sponsored or from all of them?

2) going to ESL/grad school, thus changing my status to F-1?
Question: Can I change my status in the US or will I have to go back home and change there (practically no chances, I believe) or will I be able to do it through 3rd country (Mexico/Canada)?

3) going to B-1 tourist status, thus giving myself some time to apply for more grad schools/universities?
Question: is it possible in my case to change the status to tourist?

hey is anyone still here on this forum?
I'm pretty sure there's someone that can answer this question? I'd really appreciate...

Hi,

I'm also on a J1 visa. As far as I know, only your home country can issue you a NOS. Processing and required documents differ from country to country so you will have to ask your embassy on what papers you need to submit to them.

It took me two months to get the NOS from my country, the Philippines.

I talked to a lawyer recently and she said that it is possible to apply for a tourist visa before your J-1 visa expires. You just have to avoid being out of status because that might affect your application for a new visa.

I suggest that you talk to an immigration lawyer about your case to somehow expedite the processing of your papers.

I am not familiar with the F-1 visa but I'm sure you can google it up. :D

Best of luck to you

Do you just want to go to a grad school in US? Then, you can acquire F-1 visa. 2YRR from J-1 will not prevent you from doing that. Note that both J-1 and F-1 are nonimmigrant visa. 2YRR prevents you from acquireing immigrant visa or status. You acquire F-1 visa, finish you rgrad school in US, then you are still obligated to complete your 2YRR fro, J-1, though. For changing your status to F-1, you need to do that outside of US, I think. I am not sure whether the location can be in the third country or not.