J-1 2yhrr

Fullbright program

hadron said:
Now, the Fullbright program is distinctively for international exchange, hence the NOL denial.
I heard that Fullbright program is the worst case. Certainly 100 % denial of the NOL based waiver. I am even not sure that an IGA waiver will be successful in the Fullbright case. Maybe only if IGA is US Department of State itself :)

J-1 status expiration

sannie7 said:
... it will take months! I don't have that time... my sponsor wants me to start on a different visa in October. Of course, all this comes out last minute with no time on your hands.
Sannie7:
What is your J-1 visa status expiration date? This is on your DS-2019 form.

J-1 visa status extension

sannie7 said:
My J-1 expires at the end of June!
You should extend your J-1 status (get a new DS-2019 form) before applying for a waiver (you need to send for a waiver all your DS-2019). I heard at this forum that after filing a waiver you will not able to extend your J-1 status (or you can but a waiver will be not valid). It’s better to extend your status for 1-year more to have enough time for a waiver procedure. It’s better to discuss this issue with your visa adviser at the International Program Office. I believe that you will be able to get both NOL and IGA waivers (because your J-1 sponsor and IGA is the same agency) but you need at least 6 months or maybe 1 year. For me it took 10-11 months to get a J-1 waiver based on the NOL from my home country.

I can't extend my J-1... as trainee you can only stay for 18 months and thi time will be up.
I heard though that it might go quicker to obtain a waiver from a IGA then with the no objection letter, so I am just hoping it will work out... or maybe I won't even need the waiver!

Out of status

sannie7 said:
I can't extend my J-1... as trainee you can only stay for 18 months and thi time will be up.
I heard though that it might go quicker to obtain a waiver from a IGA then with the no objection letter, so I am just hoping it will work out... or maybe I won't even need the waiver!
Are you going to get IGA waiver in 2 weeks??? Or 2 weeks + 30 days (voluntary departure period)? You will be out of status after June 30, 2005 + 30 days. What are you going to do?

I know it's bad timing... it looks like I am going to leave the country during the 30 days grace period in July and hopefully come back some time in September with my new visa. I hope that this will work out timewise!