Issue with last name

balakrishnan_v

Hello

I recently got my green card via EB-1. When I applied for my green card, I had to specify my first and last name according to the Indian passport. The passport has my full name under the "First name" section and the "Surname" section is blank. As a result, my green card has my Given name as "First-name Last-name" and the Surname section reads "NO NAME GIVEN". When I used this to update my SSN, they asked me to get it corrected with the USCIS. I am not sure what that means. Are they expecting me to replace the Surname section in the green card with my Last name or simply a letter from the USCIS explaining this issue.
How hard is it to get my Surname section corrected? If I understand right, I have to file my Indian passport fixed and then file I-90 which seems to be a lot of work and time. Do I need to any court documents for this?
Has anyone else faced this issue before? If so, what is the easiest way to resolve it?

When I applied for my green card, I had to specify my first and last name according to the Indian passport.
You thought you had to follow what was on your passport, but in reality you didn't. USCIS considers the birth certificate to be the "gold standard" for your official name, not your passport. On the I-485 you should specify your first/middle/last names based on what is on your birth certificate (unless you have done something to change your name since birth like a name change in court or marriage, in which case your official name would be obtained from the relevant certificate or court order).

Now you have to file I-90 and pay the fee and wait a few months to get the green card corrected. Send a copy of your birth certificate (with certified English translation, if the certificate itself is not in English) along with the I-90. After you get the new green card you can update your name with the Social Security Administration.

Creption Prentiss

You thought you had to follow what was on your passport, but in reality you didn't. USCIS considers the birth certificate to be the "gold standard" for your official name, not your passport. On the I-485 you should specify your first/middle/last names based on what is on your birth certificate (unless you have done something to change your name since birth like a name change in court or marriage, in which case your official name would be obtained from the relevant certificate or court order).

Now you have to file I-90 and pay the fee and wait a few months to get the green card corrected. Send a copy of your birth certificate (with certified English translation, if the certificate itself is not in English) along with the I-90. After you get the new green card you can update your name with the Social Security Administration.

Thanks!
Are you saying that when filing the I-90, I don't need to present them with the amended Indian passport? In other words, will a valid birth certificate be enough?

I do remember reading somewhere USCIS is required to use name as mentioned in passport. I dont know filing I-90 request will be honored.