Is this true?

Bindaas

Registered Users (C)
People say that one need not have to wait for 5 years to apply for citizenship, even if you can prove that a total 2 and a 1/2 year stay in the US after GC, you are eligible to apply?

JoeF said:
Hmm, no. It seems that somebody didn't quite understand the requirements. There is a 30 months (2 1/2 years) physical presence requirement. But, there also is a 5 year continuous residence requirement...

Thanks for the info Joe, but a friend of mine have got the Citizenship after 2 and 1/2 year. I argued with him on this topic but he said his attorney suggested and applied for citizenship after 30 months, and he is now citizen.
He got his greencard thru marriage.

JoeF said:
Certainly not. He may be confused.
Well, people who are married to a US citizen become eligible for citizenship after 3 years. And, as always, it is possible to apply 90 days before becoming eligible. But that's still different than 2 1/2 years...
2 1/2 years is not possible. Period.
The "Guide to Naturalization", available on the USCIS website, has a table with the requirements for different cases. In some limited cases, there is no waiting time at all.

Thanks for the reply, I will check again and post the info if it is different.

Bindaas

Your friend is not accurate. Earliest possible is 2 years and 9 months, which your friend rounded off to 2.5 years ( by marriage to USC)