Is there any problem in getting Citizenship if you leave your company immediately after getting Gree

mmmnnn123

Hello,

I have a question about US Citizenship.

If someone gets his Green Card through his company, and if he leaves the company within 1 or 2 months of getting the Green Card, in that case, will the person face a problem while applying for US Citzenship ?

If yes, what period of time could be termed as a "safe period" after getting a Green Card, when a person can leave his company ?

Thanks.

Actually, there is no designated safe period

Prior to AC21, most attorneys recommended 6 months to a year. Whether AC21 changed any of this in unclear. Basically, the longer the better. The problem is that for a GC to be validly issued the person must intend to work for the company "permanently" (obviously, this doesn\'t mean forever but it doesn\'t mean one day either). Where between forever and not at all permanently lies is a decision INS makes when they revoke a GC approval.

Jim

James D. Mills
Attorney at Law
jdmills@justice.com
732-644-5702

After 180 days of filing of AOS, you can change employer ....

If this is the case, then I don\'t see any reason for having a waiting period after approval of AOS which anyway takes more than a year to complete from the time of filing of AOS..

Does this make sense.. I am in the same dilemma and I am trying to justify this to myself..

so it is o.k to change after 180 of filing and before approval but not o.k after approval..

if this is the case then the law doesn\'t make sense..

To me the former is a worse scenario than the latter..

You can wait 5 years before applying.

I was in a similar situation - I was working for a company and
waited 3 years for a GC to show up - I quit and joined a company B I was consulting for (legally through company A) about 4 months later.
It\'s quite easy for me to argue with the INS that I was happy at A,
just that now I was available company B made me an offer I
couldn\'t refuse, however I would rather wait and not face that
problem.

It seems to me, that when applying for citizenship - the employment history only looks back 5 years, so as long as you are clear of that, the original sponsoring company (and dates you left them) don\'t even appear on the application, so it\'s no longer an issue.

No Title

What if one is laid off immediately after getting GC? How do you prove to INS that you had the intent to work permanently for the sponsoring company?

never worked for sponsor

when i came over to the usa (1990)ca, i contacted my sponsor, nj, but he never answered, not even by registered mail. 6 weeks later i received my green card by mail, an other 6 weeks later i started to work in ca. filed 1998 my n-40 and had my oath ceremony in july 2001. nobody ever ask anything about the sponsor or any work related question.
greetings

What if someone accepts a job offer, but joins after few months.....

Referring to the discussion above, and assuming that 6 months is a "safe period" to join another company after getting GC, I would appreciate if someone could answer the following query:

CASE
====
New Job Offer Date : 3 months after GC
Joining New Company : 6 months after GC
(assuming that the new company is ready to wait for the 3 months join time)

Will the above logic work, assuming that 6 months is a "safe period" to join another company after getting GC.

My primary question is that in the above case, in calculating the 6 month safe period, what date would be more important.....will it be the date when you accepted the new job offer letter OR will it be the date when you actually joined the new job.

Thanks.

Offer after 2 months of GC

Joef,
I need some advise from you.

I got my GC approval a couple of months ago. There is a vacancy at my client\'s place and they have offered me this position, since they are aware that I have got my GC.

Now, since the compensation package is almost 40% higher than my current package and also since I am being offered a higher position, I am planning to accept the client\'s offer. (Even though I got my GC approval just 2 months ago).

As a common sense, what do you think about this case ? Do your common sense think that there are high chances that I may land up in trouble later during citizenship OR does this reason seems pretty convincing that even though I had intentions of staying with my current employer, just because of this tempting offer, I chose to switch jobs.