• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Is the Form I-134 mandatory for F1 visa holders?

Youssef1983

Hey,Thanks a lot for the information.
I still have a concern about the form affidavit of support. I am currently in the US under the F1 status and I want to know if it is mandatory to fill out the form I-134 for winning the DV lottery under that status. If yes, can a anyone from my original country sponsor me (i.e. the person that is sponsoring my studies)?
Thanks

Hey,Thanks a lot for the information.
I still have a concern about the form affidavit of support. I am currently in the US under the F1 status and I want to know if it is mandatory to fill out the form I-134 for winning the DV lottery under that status. If yes, can a anyone from my original country sponsor me (i.e. the person that is sponsoring my studies)?
Thanks
I-134 is not mandatory per se, however you will need to present supporting evidence of not becoming a public charge. One way is to present a qualified I-134 in your support from a US Citizen or US LPR, another is to show proof of strong income (potential) and substantial financial assets.

Last edited:
I-134 is not mandatory per se, however you will need to present supporting evidence of not becoming a public charge. One way is to present a qualified I-134 in your support from a US Citizen or US LPR, another is to show proof of strong income (potential) and substantial financial assets.

"Potential" income is mildly useful for consideration unless it is a "prearranged employment" - the "substantial financial assets" would carry more weight.

"Potential" income is mildly useful for consideration unless it is a "prearranged employment" - the "substantial financial assets" would carry more weight.
Yes, this undoubtedly is the case. I therefore don't disagree in any way, nevertheless if DV applicant would be able to present evidence of an Engineering degree, or comparable, on F-1 a few month away from graduation this would help things along as well. Of course substantial "Money in the Bank" is a better bet, no doubt.

Last edited: