Is it possible to get my wife's interview re-scheduled for the same date as mine?.. please suggest

Aakash28

Registered Users (C)
My wife's interview date is 12 days after my scheduled interview date. The center is almost 4 hours away from where we live.

Is it possible to get my wife rescheduled on the same date as mine for the interview or vice versa?

Incase it is possible than what should I do to make this happen?

I really want to make sure that we both go in together at the interview center as it is a very long trip (4 hours one way). We have small kids and my wife cannot drive, so it will be good for us if we both can go together at the center... I know we have to give interviews separately.

Had someone been able to do so before?

Is it OK to have kids in there for the day? We do not have a choice currently?

Please sugg

My wife's interview date is 12 days after my scheduled interview date. The center is almost 4 hours away from where we live.

Is it possible to get my wife rescheduled on the same date as mine for the interview or vice versa?

Incase it is possible than what should I do to make this happen?

I really want to make sure that we both go in together at the interview center as it is a very long trip (4 hours one way). We have small kids and my wife cannot drive, so it will be good for us if we both can go together at the center... I know we have to give interviews separately.

Had someone been able to do so before?

Is it OK to have kids in there for the day? We do not have a choice currently?

Please sugg

At which USCIS Office are the interviews scheduled?

This sounds like a reasonable request (to keep the family together). It is the type of thing they would try to do.

Thanks BigJoe5.

Our interviews are scheduled at Buffalo, NY

If at all, do they normally re-schedule on one of our existing interview dates or any other future date, which will delay our process by another couple of weeks?

Is there any husband and wife case who got their interview dates re-scheduled like this? Please share the info.

Thanks BigJoe5.

If at all, do they normally re-schedule on one of our existing interview dates or any other future date, which will delay our process by another couple of weeks?

Is there any husband and wife case who got their interview dates re-scheduled like this? Please share the info.

You need to make contact and ask them.

Thanks BigJoe5.

I do not it is worthwhile trying reschedule. You may have to make an extra trip for INFOPASS and request for same day interview.

Other possibility is to take your wife with you on the date of your interview, with all her docs, and request supervisor to accommodate her interview same day. It may workout. Any how speak to 1-800 at the first instance.

Called up the 1800# number. The representative read me the compelling reasons when USCIS may consider rescheduling the appointment... and family inconvenience was not one of them. So having to travel 4 hours one way (overall 4 times) with small kids was not considered a compelling enough reason to re-schedule our appointments together. That is dissapointing.

Called up the 1800# number. The representative read me the compelling reasons when USCIS may consider rescheduling the appointment... and family inconvenience was not one of them. So having to travel 4 hours one way (overall 4 times) with small kids was not considered a compelling enough reason to re-schedule our appointments together. That is dissapointing.

Thanks for the update. I am curious: what was on the list of reasons the USCIS would consider compelling for rescheduling the interview?

By the way, when exactly are the scheduled dates of yours and your wife's interviews?

Thanks for the update. I am curious: what was on the list of reasons the USCIS would consider compelling for rescheduling the interview?

By the way, when exactly are the scheduled dates of yours and your wife's interviews?

'Compelling reasons' those were the exact words used by the customer representative as she read through the list.. it included.. hospitalization of the applicant or some close family member, graduation ceremony of applicant or some close family member, and some similar other ones..

My interview date is 06/3/2012 and my wife is on 06/15/2012.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Compelling reasons' those were the exact words used by the customer representative as she read through the list.. it included.. hospitalization of the applicant or some close family member, graduation ceremony of applicant or some close family member, and some similar other ones..

OK, thanks. The people staffing the 800 line are rather low-level USCIS employees or even outside contractors, and what they say is not necessarily correct (and is often not correct) . Moreover, they do not have direct contact with local DOs.
Ultimately, interview scheduling is done by the local District Offices.
If you had put a request for same-day interviews for you and your wife in the cover letter with your original N-400 application, the Buffalo DO might have taken that request into account.

The problem is that now it is hard for you to contact the Buffalo DO directly. You could schedule an INFOPASS appointment there to discuss the interview scheduling issue, but that would defeat the purpose of your request since you'd have to take that 4 hour drive to Buffalo for the INFOPASS appointment. As far as I understand, it is not possible for you to call the Buffalo DO directly.
In principle, you could send them a written request by mail. But, with only about two weeks left to your schedule interview date, it is not at all clear if you'll find out before your June 3 interview date whether they acted on your request and how.

tradsci foundation

I distinctly remember of a post in this site by someone who had interviews on different dates. He had written that when he complained about this to IO during interview, he inquired whether his spouse was available for interview that day and unfortunately she wasn't there. I think it is more than a year back.

You can try your luck on 06/03. By now they will have all your wife's papers. Supervisor may be in a position to help and save you an extra trip. Please don't blame me if it doesn't work out.

I distinctly remember of a post in this site by someone who had interviews on different dates. He had written that when he complained about this to IO during interview, he inquired whether his spouse was available for interview that day and unfortunately she wasn't there. I think it is more than a year back.

You can try your luck on 06/03. By now they will have all your wife's papers. Supervisor may be in a position to help and save you an extra trip. Please don't blame me if it doesn't work out.

Agree with madh4. Try your luck on 06/03, they might be able to accommodate your wife's interview if they have her file on that day. If it is not a big hassle for your wife and if it fits her schedule, it does not hurt if she is with you that day.

Best of luck!

--

At this point it's better to focus on trying to get the oaths together, as getting the interviews on the same date is likely to be futile (although if both spouses are going to be at the USCIS office for the first interview, it makes sense to ask for the other spouse to be interviewed as others have suggested).

If that location doesn't offer same-day oath, the first spouse to be interviewed should ask for an oath date that is at least 8 weeks in the future, say after August 1st, in order to increase the probability of enabling the second spouse's oath to be on the same date as the first spouse's oath. Then if the oath date is known before the 2nd interview, the 2nd spouse to be interviewed can ask for the oath on that specific date, or otherwise should ask for the oath to be also after August 1st.

So having to travel 4 hours one way (overall 4 times) with small kids was not considered a compelling enough reason to re-schedule our appointments together.
It's not a compelling reason to me either. The interview dates are known weeks in advance, which should be enough time to plan and find some kind of daycare or babysitting arrangement, and since you can drive it's not necessary for your spouse and kids to be there for your interview.

Thanks everyone. I will go by what Jackolantern suggested. It seems reasonably safe to just keep the existing interview dates as they are, and try to get our oath dates scheduled together.