Is Dual Residence (US and Canada) possible/legal?

Arvind Bhatia

Folks-

I recently received my US Green Card. I also have my Canadian PR application pending. I have completed medicals etc. They just need finger printing from me.

If I move forward and complete the Canadian application, what are the implications? How will it affect my status in the US, particularly if I land in Canada as a PR and then want to return to the US. I know Canada does not have a problem with Dual residence/citizenship etc. But do we know what the official US stance on this is?

Actually I thought it is the opposite.

I was under the impression that Canadians are not OK with dual residentship. And that US INS doesnt care.
I am Canadian PR and received my I-485 (final notice for change in status). I am confused whether I should take it. I want to be a Candian PR till my mother gets hers. I am sponsoring her and my brother.
I went to US last week, but didnt get the passport stamped for US GC.
I might go after a few months and get it done.

Where did you get the info about Canadian authorities being OK with dual residentship.

Can Canadian PR visit US without B visa ?

Can Canadian PR visit US without obtaining B Visa from US embassy in Canada?

What is the usual time limit for a B visa holder in US for Canadian PR?

Will B Visa issued to Canadian PR at Canadian-US boarder?

Can B Visa be extended?

Can B Visa be even convert to F Visa after entering US?

Will I lose Canadian PR if I stay in US on either B or F Visa for more than 183 days?

Seeking expert advices, experiences.

I agree with you. read on..

BTW did you not get your green card stamped because you never
went to the INS office or did they say no or something like that ?

US INS cares only for the residency requirement in the USA,
but CDN Immi. dont like the Can PRs getting a US PR.

Any problem to enter Canada with Dual PR?

Hi folks,

I applied for Canadian PR for in case failed to get US PR.
Currently I have dual PR and want to visit Canada. Could anyone recommend me which PR I should1 use when enter Canada and any trouble I may have?

Thanks in advance.
Wahaha

Dual residency

Hey Mercury6, Did you get your pp Stamped. I am in the similar situation. I am nearing citizenship in canada and have recieved my I-485 approval. I want to keep the GC but at the same time get the citizenship from canada.I have property at both places.Pls advise

have you been to canada yet

I am in the similar situation. I am nearing citizenship in canada and have recieved my I-485 approval. I want to keep the GC but at the same time get the citizenship from canada.I have property at both places.Pls advise

advise

Keeping property at both places should not be an issue. But you should surrender IMM1000 (Canada Landing paper) to your nearest Canadian Consulate. Keeping two together is inviting trouble. Read previous emails in this forum and people thought about this.

No I didnt get it stamped! Read on

Because of the reason in my first post. i.e. I need to be here till I get my mothers and brothers Canadian GC. I am very keen on going back to US but looks like will have to wait for a few months more at least. I was also laid off from work so I am doing nothing now.
I feel like if I go back to US my desi employer who got me the green card will remploy me.
What are your plans. Keep posted.

sorry to hear that mercury...

I understand that you have to have stayed in Canada for some time
to prove that you have paid taxes and have funds to sponser your
family...well good luck on the job and the immigration front.

not stamped yet

Is it important to get it stamped or you can get the plastic card without getting it stamped too.Do you know if the people residing in US who have adjustment of status get the plastic card without getting stamped.A friend of mine who works for the same company in US has got his 485 approved but also has canadian residency, he does not want to get it stamped if he is going to recieve the GC in mail without stamping so he can come to canada, freely. what is your email??

Wahaha: DID you enter canada yet

If yes , what PR did you use and how did they react and the border

Also can you tell me how was your stamping experience for GC, did they ask you anything about your canadian PR, Please advise

Thanks Khi_boy

I am eligible for citizenship in canada,if stamping of GC does not cause an issue I will apply for citizeship as soon as I can and then get that and surrender my Indian PP, so I can keep canadian citizenship and US GC, that is the dream plan. dunno if it gonna happen, what do you think.

question for mercury6

A coming up to a similar situation as you mercury. I am in the 140 stage but will be applying for Canadian citizenship next year and I want to be eligible for it.

Now because I live in Canada I have to go for CP. I am wondering how long you haveto get your passport stamped by INS once you are done with the interview in Montreal?

Do you know?

sorry, couldnt get your question about getting stamped PP in Montreal.

Are you talking about Canadian or US GC.

let me know I will try to answer it.

By the way I am making the trip again to US to get the Passport stamped.

mercury6

Mercury

I live in Canada (landed immigrant for 2 years now) and so have to go for Consular processing for my US green card. My understanding is that the Montreal consulate will give a sealed packet that will haveto be taken to INS at the POE for stamping of tha passport. Is this correct?

Can I just go through the CP process in Montreal and then not get my pp stamped by INS? How long would that be ok? Is there some time frame after CP within which you must go to the US?

Do you work in Canada or the US? Are you a commuter?

Thanks!

Unfortunately I dont have enough knowledge of consular processing. Rean on

Who is your lawyer? you might want to confirm with him.

I came (landed) to Canada in aug 2000. I was employed in Canada by my old US company till Jan 2002 when they laid off because the local project in Toronto is over. I received my I-485 approval in Sep 2001 and have still to go to Us and get my PP stamped. I still dont know if there is an expiry date by which I have to go to US. And I have not been able to get a firm answer even from my lawyer. they say if there is no expiry date mentioned then there is none, bt they advised to get it sooner than later.

By the way mine os not a Consular proceesing case.

Thanks Mercury

If you get the time pl post your experience when you go to get your pp stamped. Good Luck!

Commuter Green Card

I am canadian citizen and very close to get US Green card. But I still want to live in live in Canada.
I heard that there is a Commuter Green ?
Does some one know about Commuter Green Card? How much time can some one keep commuter status.
Are there any potential issues of commuter GC?

Please respond if you know or experienced the same situation!

Thanks

hami