• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Is affidavit of support required in American Embassy in Amman ?

Kair-syr

Hello guys,am a dv applicant, and I live in syria currently, and am going to do my interview in the next month in the American embassy in amman
All I have is a bank statement ( between (9k-10k $) in Syrian Pound of course
Are they going to ask me about the affidavit of support?

Last edited:
Have you read the instructions for Amman?

http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Supplemental/AMM - Amman.pdf

An original, signed affidavit of support (I-864) from the petitioner and joint sponsor (if necessary). This item is required unless your petitioner has already submitted an I-864 to the National Visa Center.

Copies of the petitioner's/joint sponsor's federal tax returns (Form IRS-1040) for the same year that the I-864 was filed and proof of the petitioner’s/joint sponsor’s proof of domicile. Proof of the petitioner’s/joint sponsor’s assets can also be supplied as supporting documents

The I-864 is required on most forms of family based immigration. It is NOT used in DV cases.

That same document has a section on K1 visas, which, whilst not DV, are "closer" to DV in the way that financial support rules are applied. The section on financial support says the following statement which is a quite well worded (accurate) statement of how the public charge aspects should be measured. The evidence of assets is the piece you want to use and $10k plus per adult should be shown.

11. Evidence of Support: Obtain evidence that will show that you are not likely to become dependent upon government support while living in the United States. Generally, you should provide an affidavit of support from I-134 from the petitioner accompanied with a copy of his complete federal income tax returns for the most recent year, his W-2 forms, and a letter from his employer. You may also provide the following:
- A letter from the petitioner’s employer or evidence that they will be selfsupporting;
- Evidence of assets available to you in the U.S;
- Proof of your educational qualifications and/or vocational skills.

...just to state the obvious, DV cases are self-petitioned so the thing about an AOS from the petitioner can surely be interpreted in DV cases to mean the applicant just has to be able to show they can support themselves.

Interesting because it was in the Embassy Specific instructions sections of the state.gov.website for DV. Pretty confusing advice really.

A lot of those embassy specific instructions are actually just general immigrant visa instructions and end up confusing DV applicants for precisely these kind of reasons. A couple of embassies do post "real" specific DV instructions! (My consulate posts nothing but actually does have some specific requirements so there is another option just to confuse people even more...)

Thank you guys for the replies

on the website they say that non-residents of Jordan and applicants traveling to Jordan for interview (effective starting with November 2015 appointments): You should arrive in Jordan five days before your interview and conduct your medical exam. Three days before your interview you must drop off your complete document package at the U.S. Embassy between 11 a.m. and 12 p.m.

My interview will be held after one month from now, and lately I have finished preparing my documents as following:
1. "Passport" + Photocopy
2. "Two Identical Photographs"
3. "DS-260 Form + DS-260 Confirmation Page + 2NL"
4. "Birth Record" (En Translated & Certified) + Photocopy
5. "Individual Civil Record" (En Translated & Certified) + Photocopy
6. "Certificate of non-conviction" ( En Translated & Certified) + Photocopy
7. "Military Records - Postponed" (Unofficially En Translated & Certified) + Photocopy
8. "Highschool Certificate" En Translated & Certified + Photocopy
9. "University Certificate & Transcript" + En Translated & Certified + Photocopy
10. "Bank Statement" between 9k-10k

Hopefully, my interview will goes well :)

Hello,
My niece is from Syria, she is traveling to Amman for interview. Did you have any issues entering Jordan. She is flying there. How did your interview go? Did you need bank statements? Or affidavit of support?
If you don’t mind sharing your experience, it would be really hopeful.
Thank you very much