IRS tax letter and Citizenship Interview next week!! advise needed !!

RP1

Hi,

I got a letter from IRS that I owe some money to IRS(letter dated July 13 ). The problem is, I got my Citizenship Interview cleared last week(July 10th). Will my oath taking process be an issue now(I am waiting for my oath letter now).

Other thing is my wife is going to the interview next week(July 20th). Should she take the IRS letter and explain that we are going to pay the money back. Should she ask for interview reschedule . What is the correct way to handle this situation.

Thanks

RP

Hi,

I got a letter from IRS that I owe some money to IRS(letter dated July 13 ). The problem is, I got my Citizenship Interview cleared last week(July 10th). Will my oath taking process be an issue now(I am waiting for my oath letter now).

Other thing is my wife is going to the interview next week(July 20th). Should she take the IRS letter and explain that we are going to pay the money back. Should she ask for interview reschedule . What is the correct way to handle this situation.

Thanks

RP

I think the solution is easy

I don't remmeber Oath letter ask that question "have you owe any tax" again
So you are fine. But to be on safe side and especially for the sake of your wife's interview, I suggest that if the money is not much, write a check now
and send it right away to pay overdue tax for the time being. You can still
debate it after you and your wife become citizens

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have not received my oath letter yet. Will the tax thing create any issue for the letter. Do not they verify with IRS before sending the oath letter.

For my wife, tomorrow is Friday, I can pay the overdue amount. But will I get a receipt back from them to show next Monday in the interview(for my wife)

Thanks

Hi,

I know my interview is already done and I can not do any thing now. Can my wife reschedule her Interview 2 days before the Interview date and in the meantime clear up the taxes and have the IRS receipt ready for the next interview date.

Please advise..

Thanks

Hi,

Any expert advise on what to do about the IRS tax due issue(got the letter from IRS today) with Interview setup next week?

Thanks

Hi,

Any expert advise on what to do about the IRS tax due issue(got the letter from IRS today) with Interview setup next week?

Thanks

This is not an issue my friend. even IOs do get those dreaded IRS letters. It will not delay scheduling for your Oath and don't have your wife bring this up on her interview (as it is not related). If you have the money now, pay. If not call IRS to get a payment agreement (which can be done over the phone). You are fine, so don't create an issue where there is none! :)

Hi,

Does not the N-400 form asks if we have tax due to IRS(that is Yes). I guess if I have the letter from IRS about tax due to them(got yesterday), should not I or my wife declare it at the interview time(next Monday).

The problem is I only have 1 day to talk to IRS and can not get any written confirmation from them about the resolution

What is the best way to handle it. I am going to call IRS today and see what options they have.

Thanks

RP

I suggest you send in a check right now to the IRS and then you and your wife have good concience to just answer NO if asked if you oweed any taxes.

If you choose to answer Yes, show the letter and the copy of your check.
I don't see any problems either way.

Hi,

. Do not they verify with IRS before sending the oath letter.

They do not have such resources. Everything they have about you is your
old A-file, your current N-400 documents, and FP and name check from FBI.

Send in the check right now even if you do not agree with IRS. You can
debate with IRS and get money back after you become a citizen. There is
statute of limitation for you to debate with IRS over any tax converversy

Pls enquire whether you can go to local IRS field office and pay them the dues and they will give you receipt

So that receipt along with copy of check will suffice *& the letter you got from IRS about the due)

Thanks
Prasanna

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I am talking to my tax prepararer who did the taxes for the year. I will see what they suggest.

Hello,

My interview is on the sept 6, 2011.. I came to US in dec 2005, on the basis of marrige.. We got separated on July 2009 and my divorce was finalized on August 3, 2010..
My exhusband and i owed money to IRS for year 2008, but we made the agreement stating that he will pay the IRS money for 2008.. But i dont know if he paid for 2006 and 2007.
If i will be owing any money to IRS, will i be denied for my citizenship? Though i have always filed my taxes on time.

Thankyou

Get tax account transcripts from the IRS to find out if 2006 and 2007 were paid. Request the tax account transcripts, not the tax return transcripts, since the account transcripts will show payments and adjustments after the return was filed.

See http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=110571,00.html for how to order the transcripts by phone or email. Or you can visit your nearest IRS office and you'll get them the same day (but be prepared for a 1 to 2 hour wait in line).

Hi everyone,

I need some help

I had my citizenship interview 3 weeks ago , everything went well and my background is clean ,waiting for my approval and oath ceremony letter but yesterday I received a Mail from IRS saying I have to owe money to IRS for year 2015. It may affect my citizenship process? My application can be denied because of that issues after interview?

Please help.