IRS Letter 1722 for Naturlization Interview

Form 4506-T is to be used for getting the tax return transcript which is really good enough for the interview purpose here. No need to file form 4506 and spend $ 36 (something like that) to get coplete copy of tax return.Form 4506-T is extremely simple and takes no more than 4-5 minutes. I sent by fax and mail form 4506-T and got the letter 8054C and the transcript ( on IRS letter heads but without stamp) within 5 working days. Actually they sent out the letter and transcript the very next day they got my form 4506-T by fax! So that is prompt!
I recommand sending form 4506-T by fax and mail rather than calling 800 no. where you have to be so much ready with your tax return copies etc.

If you look at the checklist you get with your interview letter (ofcourse, if you have received one - no pun intended), you need letter from IRS only if you are applying for Naturalization through marriage to a citizen. They want to make sure you are still married as demonstrated in the filing.

Ofcourse, we are all being over caution (including myself) and taking every possible piece of document that we have.

They also ask you to bring a letter from the IRS if you have had any trips for more than 6 months after becoming a LPR. I think this is to prove "ties to the US". They asked me to bring it since I had one trip more than six months, but the interviewer didn't ask me for it.

Ratrat

ratrat said:
They also ask you to bring a letter from the IRS if you have had any trips for more than 6 months after becoming a LPR. I think this is to prove "ties to the US". They asked me to bring it since I had one trip more than six months, but the interviewer didn't ask me for it.

Ratrat
How IRS will issue a letter stating one has been out of US for more than 6 months? I do not think even IRS has that kind of record to varify such fact!

applyforcitizen said:
thanks a lot!
Go to IRS website www.irs.gov
Search for form 4506-T . It has one page of instructions also with it. In the instrustion page you have different addresses and fax no. for differnt areas you live. For example if one live in New York , the fax no is 978 691 6859. I do not know whre you live or file your tax return. Pl look up yourself.

Radni said:
How IRS will issue a letter stating one has been out of US for more than 6 months? I do not think even IRS has that kind of record to varify such fact!

Let me clarify...in your USCIS Interview Letter (they send a document checklist along with it), they will ask you to bring proof of filing taxes if you have indicated on your N-400 application that you have trips for more than 6 months since becoming a LPR...

The IRS most probably won't ask why you need the transcripts. These transcripts may be requested at the time of N-400 interview to prove you maintained ties to the US. I took all transcripts with me, but my USCIS interviewing officer never asked me for them...

Ratrat

ratrat said:
Let me clarify...in your USCIS Interview Letter (they send a document checklist along with it), they will ask you to bring proof of filing taxes if you have indicated on your N-400 application that you have trips for more than 6 months since becoming a LPR...

The IRS most probably won't ask why you need the transcripts. These transcripts may be requested at the time of N-400 interview to prove you maintained ties to the US. I took all transcripts with me, but my USCIS interviewing officer never asked me for them...

Ratrat

Sorry , but I differ here. One can stay whole year away from US and still file tax return in US , and as such he will get the transcript from IRS. All US citizens ( and LPRs) who are staying away for work abroad or even for family reasons for years together are still required to file their tax returns in USA , and USC and LPRs all use the same forms, and they all can get their transcripts from IRS. Having a transcript issued does not speak anything about your physical presence in US. But agreed that while it does prove ties to US, it is no substitute for physical presence in US.

I never said it was a substitue for physical presence (at least I don't think I did! :)) ...let me explain using my situation as an example...

I went to India in 1995 with a 2 year re-entry permit. This permit expired in 1997. In 1998, I had to stay in India for 8 months (one trip).

When I went to my interview in 2004, this 1998 trip was not an issue because:

- I have not had a trip for more than 6 months in the last 5 years.
- My physical presence in the last 5 years is more than 30 months.

HOWEVER, the letter I got for my interview said I should bring a tax transcript if I had any trips over 6 months since becoming an LPR (please note that my case is that even though I have been an LPR since 1984, I only applied for my citizenship in 2003).

So I brought in tax transcripts for 1998 to 2003 to the interview...

I agree with you that:

If you have only been an LPR for 5 years and you take a trip for more than 6 months, you wouldn't be eligible for citizenship ANYWAY because you do not meet your continuous residence requirement.

Ratrat

Tax Return Question

Can USCIS ask for tax return copies (or transcript) even if someone did not travel more than 6 months in a single trip but traveled several times (5/6 times) during last 5 years and applied on the basis of 5-year residency since becoming LPR? Instructions in the Guidebook says you only need to submit them with the application or need to bring them at the interview if you took any trip longer than 6 months. Is Tax Transcript given free of charge (Form 4506T)? I know there is a charge of $39/year if we ask for exact copies of our tax returns (Form 4506). Question is: Is Transcript enough for the interview or we need to get “Copies” of our tax returns? Jitender, You said we can get 4 years tax transcript by calling, but if we need for 5 years, how can we get 5 years? Thanks.
:confused:

akarim said:
Can USCIS ask for tax return copies (or transcript) even if someone did not travel more than 6 months in a single trip but traveled several times (5/6 times) during last 5 years and applied on the basis of 5-year residency since becoming LPR? Instructions in the Guidebook says you only need to submit them with the application or need to bring them at the interview if you took any trip longer than 6 months. Is Tax Transcript given free of charge (Form 4506T)? I know there is a charge of $39/year if we ask for exact copies of our tax returns (Form 4506). Question is: Is Transcript enough for the interview or we need to get “Copies” of our tax returns? Jitender, You said we can get 4 years tax transcript by calling, but if we need for 5 years, how can we get 5 years? Thanks.
:confused:
Call IRS and request for letter 1722 for 5 years. This is a consolidated letter and will suffice for what you are looking for. Best Regards.

Sometimes they may say that records over 3 years are "archived on microfilm". Ask to speak to a supervisor and explain your case. People have got 10 years worth of transcripts this way

Interview experience at Garden City

I've merged here some old postings on interview and oath experiences from NY district office so that people could be benefited with those experiences- JohnnyCash

Last week I and my wife had our interviews at Garden City office. The interview letter asked me to bring my GC and passport. After reading this forum, I took my last year's tax return with me. My interview time was at 11:30AM and I was asked not to come more than 30 mins earlier than that time.

I reached INS office exactly at 11:00. Easy to reach the place and plenty of parking. After security check, the guy in the first floor stapled our interview letter and we were asked to wait in the second floor. Garden City office is huge with lot of chairs and not an intimidating atmosphere. We saw atleast 80 people waiting before us. Some of them came 3 or 4 hours earlier than their interview time.

We waited and waited and waited and finally my name was called at 2:00. I was lucky to get a very courteous officer. She was extremly polite, never seen an INS officer like that. She asked me to show my GC and passport. Verified the arrival/departure date. She found I put a wrong date in N-400 and corrected it. Asked me 10 questions from the standard 100. When she asked me "Whom did we fight against during revolutionary war?", I started ranting Japan, Germany, Italy. She reminded me "I asked revolutionay war", I immediately corrected my answer.

Then she asked me to write 3 sentences. Asked me whether I have my tax returns. I said I have it for the last year and was about it take it out from my bag. She said no need. After that she read N-400 questions in less than one minute. She apologized before asking questions like have you ever smuggled drugs, were you ever a prostitute etc., (from N-400).

Then she asked me to wait in the first floor and said if another officer approves my interview, I'll get my oath letter. The entire interview was over in exactly 16 mins including name change and address change. I waited in the first floor for 15 mins and someone called our names and gave our oath letters. Oath date is 2 weeks from interview date.

Overall it was an uneventful interview. We read the 100 questions 2 days before the interview since my friend told me there was no need to read anything else for history/civics. I have other problems with my oath and travelling out of the country which I rather not talk about. Thanks hm11 and others for your valuable input.

N-400 intv experience

I was scheduled for interview yesterday 9:55 A.M at Garden City, NY. I wanted to take LIRR from Flatbush/Atlantic Avenue station. As I went there to catch 7:50 train to Hemstead, I found that the station was closed due to heavy smoke at the track. All services were temporarily suspended to and from this station until further notice. As the clock was ticking, my heart bit started to up as well. I was hoping to catch the next train which leaves at 8:36 A.M and reaches to Hempstead at 9:26 A.M. At about 8:20 all services were resumed from the station, and I arrived at Hempstead station around 9:35. I took a cab from there, and I was at the immigration office in less than 10 minutes. After security check when I handed in my letter, the time stamp they put was exactly 9:55 A.M. I was relived for not being late. I was told to go up stair, there I handed in my letter, and then I was told to wait. There were about 30/40 people waiting, some of them were very nervous memorizing the sample 100 Q/A.

I was called for the interview around 12:00. I was interviewed by a Chinese woman who was extremely rude. She was interviewing me, and at the same time she was discussing with her colleague from her desk about a couple who didn’t bring enough paper, and she suspects that they came up to this far submitting fake docs bla…bla… I was interviewed in a big room where there were no cubicles, officers were sitting face to face, and could share their personal view about cases. No privacy was maintained. The first question she asked me was if I was arrested? I said no, then she asked me why I checked yes to the question “ If you were cited, arrested…. ? “ Then I said to her that I was summoned for speeding ticket. She asked me for receipt of the payment. I didn’t have the receipt with me, but I took driver’s abstract with me, and gave that to her. She replied back saying speeding ticket has nothing to do with this question, you made my job harder, now I have to go to my supervisor to approve your case bla.. bla...bla.. I told her that the dictionary meaning of citation was “an official summons to appear (as before a court) “. She then said to me no one would catch this if I didn’t mention this. I replied her back saying I didn’t want to give any false information. She then gave 10 printed questions. I was asked to read them, and answer them verbally. I didn’t have any problem answering them. She then dictated me to write three sentences, and I wrote them too. She then went through my application. I mentioned her that I answered question 33 wrongly, said no instead of yes. She asked me how old I was when I got my GC, I replied over 30. She also verified that with my date of birth, and said I don’t have to worry about this question since I was over 30. To my understanding, she even didn’t understand what the question was asking. Anyway, I reminded her that the question was asking something else. She didn’t pay any attention to me, but proceeded to next questions. She even didn’t give me the chance to give my affidavit that I took with me. She then asked me for my 5 years Tax return, and took them all. After this she asked me if I wanted to get the oath for next Friday, and if I was interested to take the letter with me or by mail. This was the only sweet conversation we had during our 30 min interview. I gladly told her that I would like to take the letter with me. She then ordered me, yes she ordered me ( that’s how she was sounded to me ) to wait down stairs to pick up the oath letter. While I was waiting to pick up my oath letter, it seemed to me that oath letter was given to almost everyone. At about 2:30 I got my oath letter, and headed back to home.

Few suggestions:

Never under estimate these officers. Not all of them are nice and courteous. You may meet someone like me, so don’t be surprised. Have lots of patience even if the officer gives you a dirty look, because you will never have to meet the interviewer again. Take all the relevant documents with you and produce them only when you are asked.

I have benefited a lot from this forum, and thank everyone from the bottom of my heart. Good luck to everyone.

Here is my time line:

PD-------------------------------------6/18/03
FP-------------------------------------8/8/03
2nd FP---------------------------------11/30/04
Intv. Letter received----------------1/21/05
Intv.-----------------------------------3/22/05
Oath is in Garden City-------------3/31/05

-----Choyty------

Hi I had just received a letter from USCIS stateing they wanted 3 years of tax returns, this was not mention when I sent in my N-400, we only sent last years.

I phoned 1 800 829 1040, as suggested above, and got a prompt to phone 1800 908 9946 and got a real person! She said the form 1722 no longer exsists, and you just need to request the transcripts.

She asked me a few questions and said the tax returns would be with me in about 10 days, I did have to mention that I needed the last 3 years, and not just last years.

Very helpful site, thanks.

Hi I had just received a letter from USCIS stateing they wanted 3 years of tax returns,

Sounds like you received generic yellow letter from USCIS that serves only as a suggestion of what documents to bring to interview depending on your case circumstances.