IRS 1722 form: INFO needed.

Washburn27

Registered Users (C)
I just noticed that they request a IRS 1722 for the last 3 yrs for the interview. (this is on the list of doc's they sent with the IL).

this is for N-400 marriage based.

here's the exact wording:
"an original IRS form 1722 listing tax information for the past 3 yrs (call IRS toll free) OR copies of the income tax forms you filed for the past 3 years."

what we have are IRS "tax return transcripts" (same thing we sent with the application, which we got by ordering them from IRS) and of course copies of income tax forms.

so do we HAVE to really get this 1722? or is that just another name for the official tax return transcripts we got from IRS?
will what we have be ok? I mean, they do say "OR copies of income tax forms" (which we of course have), so it sounds like that should suffice ???
any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I just noticed that they request a IRS 1722 for the last 3 yrs for the interview. (this is on the list of doc's they sent with the IL).

this is for N-400 marriage based.

here's the exact wording:
"an original IRS form 1722 listing tax information for the past 3 yrs (call IRS toll free) OR copies of the income tax forms you filed for the past 3 years."

what we have are IRS "tax return transcripts" (same thing we sent with the application, which we got by ordering them from IRS) and of course copies of income tax forms.

so do we HAVE to really get this 1722? or is that just another name for the official tax return transcripts we got from IRS?
will what we have be ok? I mean, they do say "OR copies of income tax forms" (which we of course have), so it sounds like that should suffice ???
any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks

I think form 1722 is obsolete and replaced by return transcripts. Call IRS and have this confirmed.
In my opinion tax return transcripts should do. It is also good to have tax account transcripts, but not mandatory.

Not exactly the same issue as this thread but close. I am in a different situation:

The IRS will not respond to ANY request or enquiry I make including a tax transcript request.

This has been going for several months. My accounts are apparently "on hold" due to the IRS inability to transfer my tax refund to a 2001 account. The refund covers my tax liability (within a small amount) fully. I even have a release of tax lien for the years in question but the accounts are not cleaned up yet. In fact they are royally messed up. I am getting garnishment notices. My small payments that I still make as a part of my installment agreement are not being credited properly. I make the payments even though I think I am paid off in an attempt to keep my account in good shape. (but its not working - at least I have proof of a payment every month)

I am going to a citizenship interview but have not been requested to bring tax transcripts by the USCIS but know I should bring them in case they ask. (and I put that I had tax problems on the original form)

Anyway questions is this:

Given the fact that I owed both state and federal tax at the time of filing (in2006) is the following enough to bring to the interview?

1. Bank account statement showing final 2 payments of state tax liability in 2006. Will they even ask for state tax stuff? I only owed a few thousand and it was paid so long ago. August 2006. I would think that a bank statement showing two transfers to FTB that matches the amount due in my statement that I submitted with the form would be enough if they even ask for anything.

2. Tax lien release. A court document. That says I have satsified my liability and the tax lien is therefore released.

3. Turbo tax copies of last few years of tax returns. W-2s? Hmmm... most.

I also plan to visit my local IRS office and DEMAND my tax transcripts. The call and fax method is not practical for me. I have been waiting 4 weeks for my tax trancscripts by mail.

SC

I did some more research online and it seems that they just call the official IRS tax return transcripts "form 1722" now...
I guess what I have is ok.

yeah I already have them (transcripts gotten using form 4506T);
my question was "are they the same thing as form 1722"? because it looks like form 1722 is now used as a different term for "transcripts"..

Thanks Bobsmyth

Not exactly the same issue as this thread but close. I am in a different situation:

The IRS will not respond to ANY request or enquiry I make including a tax transcript request.

This has been going for several months. My accounts are apparently "on hold" due to the IRS inability to transfer my tax refund to a 2001 account. The refund covers my tax liability (within a small amount) fully. I even have a release of tax lien for the years in question but the accounts are not cleaned up yet. In fact they are royally messed up. I am getting garnishment notices. My small payments that I still make as a part of my installment agreement are not being credited properly. I make the payments even though I think I am paid off in an attempt to keep my account in good shape. (but its not working - at least I have proof of a payment every month)

I am going to a citizenship interview but have not been requested to bring tax transcripts by the USCIS but know I should bring them in case they ask. (and I put that I had tax problems on the original form)

Anyway questions is this:

Given the fact that I owed both state and federal tax at the time of filing (in2006) is the following enough to bring to the interview?

1. Bank account statement showing final 2 payments of state tax liability in 2006. Will they even ask for state tax stuff? I only owed a few thousand and it was paid so long ago. August 2006. I would think that a bank statement showing two transfers to FTB that matches the amount due in my statement that I submitted with the form would be enough if they even ask for anything.

2. Tax lien release. A court document. That says I have satsified my liability and the tax lien is therefore released.

3. Turbo tax copies of last few years of tax returns. W-2s? Hmmm... most.

I also plan to visit my local IRS office and DEMAND my tax transcripts. The call and fax method is not practical for me. I have been waiting 4 weeks for my tax trancscripts by mail.

SC

When you go to local IRS office, get account transcripts as well as return transcripts for all the years. The account transcripts will be conclusive evidence that you do not owe any federal tax except 2001. For 2001 (the year in dispute) get a letter from IRS office that you have a current and valid payment plan for taxes owed and you are current with the payments.

Get the 2001 issue as quickly as possible if it is merely an IRS accounting issues. Hire professional representation if necessary.

yeah I already have them (transcripts gotten using form 4506T);
my question was "are they the same thing as form 1722"? because it looks like form 1722 is now used as a different term for "transcripts"..

Thanks Bobsmyth

What is comes down to is USCIS requesting tax transcript from IRS..whether it requires form 1722 , 4506T or 8883hhss0-x-22321-d is irrelevant..they all lead to the same result:your tax transcript.